|Demon Slayer (#2)|
|Release date||28 January 2013 (Update)|
|Official series||Delrith #1|
|Combat||NPC combat level 10–19|
|Quest create ID||2|
Demon Slayer is a quest in which the player has to stop a cult of Zamorakian wizards who are trying to summon the powerful demon Delrith.
Official description[edit | edit source]
A mighty demon is being summoned to destroy the city of Varrock. You are the one destined to stop him (or at least try).
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Talk to Gideon Bede at the Saradominist church north of Varrock Museum in north-east Varrock. Show on map|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat|
Demonology[edit | edit source]
Start by talking to Gideon Bede in the Saradominist church north of the Varrock Museum. He gravely tells you that a follower of Zamorak, Denath, has stolen an ancient Tome of Demonology from the Edgeville Monastery. This book was used generations ago to summon a powerful demon named Delrith.
While Gideon is tracking Denath to prevent him from performing the ritual, he asks you to retrieve the lone sword capable of killing Delrith – the Silverlight – as a backup plan. The sword rests in the crypt directly below the church, watched over by its previous owners.
The Silverlight trials[edit | edit source]
After talking to Gideon, climb down the trapdoor in the same room, directly south of him. Walk a bit north and you will see three spirits, each linked to an attribute: the Spirit of the Mind, the Spirit of the Body, and the Spirit of Faith. Speak to any one of them about Silverlight, and they will tell you you have to pass three tests to prove yourself worthy of the sword.
The following can be done in any order.
Mind[edit | edit source]
The Spirit of the Mind in the eastern room wants to test your focus on the job at hand. You must thus answer a series of simple questions pertaining to the quest.
- Why are you in this place? – I seek Silverlight.
- And what is Silverlight? – A sword that slays demons.
- Why do you require a sword that slays demons? – A powerful demon threatens Varrock.
- Who is this demon? – Delrith
- And who sends you to claim Silverlight and fight Delrith? – Gideon Bede
Content with your answers, the spirit goes back to the altar in the central room.
Faith[edit | edit source]
In the northern room, you must walk along an invisible path guided by the spirit. Sections of the path will become visible as you walk over them. When doing this trial, you must only take one step at a time, waiting for the spirit to tell you which direction to walk. If you step off the path, you fall into the chasm and appear to die, however, you don't. You respawn at the start of the trial.
Once you're on the first part of the path, the order is:
When you reach to the other side of the chasm, walk back over to the central room, taking any path you wish.
Body[edit | edit source]
Enter the west cavern and speak with the spirit of the Body, who wants to test your physical ability to wield the Silverlight. He asks you to kill the 10 skeletons piled up beside him. At first, 2 of them would attack, defeating them causes 3 more to rise, and defeating them cause the remaining 5 to rise. They are immobile and attack with ranged with a max hit of 4. You can hide behind one of the pillars and kill some them with magic or ranged while preventing others from hitting you.
Once you defeat all of them, the spirit will teleport back to the altar in the main room, pleased with the result.
For Varrock![edit | edit source]
After successfully passing the tests, talk to the spirits again. They will congratulate you and break down the barrier to grant you access to Silverlight; you can now finally claim the sword from the altar.
Head up the ladder and you will find a scroll from Gideon to the north of the ladder, which tells you that he has managed to locate Denath. The wizard is currently in the Temple in south-east Varrock, directly south of Aubury's rune shop. Make your way to the Temple and climb down the trap door just outside the entrance. You will meet Gideon inside.
When you climb down the ladder to the Temple, if you have lost or destroyed Silverlight, or mounted it in your Quest Hall, Gideon will give you another.
You must now fight your way past some cultists. You must kill all of them in a room before the magical barrier to the next will disappear. If you stand close enough, Gideon will attack them, and you will get the experience for the ones he kills.
Delrith[edit | edit source]
While passing the final barrier, a cutscene plays where you confront Denath and a group of his cultists, with the demonology book placed on a strange Zamorakian symbol. Do not click anywhere else during this scene, or it would have to start again. He taunts Gideon for not being able to stop him, before completing the ritual and teleporting away, leaving his cultists behind. Delrith appears at the spot of the now-burned book, ready to spread chaos over the city. He attempts to attack you with a powerful blast, but due to Gideon shielding you, it only succeeds in killing the cultists.
You must now defeat Delrith using Silverlight or Darklight: no other weapon will work against him, excluding off-hand weapons, which work as long as silverlight or darklight is equipped in the mainhand slot. Every time it loses 250 life points, it shouts "Prepare to be incinerated!" and launches a magical attack; Gideon will then create a protective shield around him and tell you to come underneath the shield. If you do not do so, Delrith's attack will reduce your life points to 1, otherwise you will be hit by 20% of your current life points and Gideon will teleport somewhere else in the room. If you are wearing certain Saradomin items, royal dragonhide armour or full Armadyl armour, you cannot hit Delrith.
If you run low on health during the fight and have no food, you may restore it by leaving and re-entering the arena. If you die and lose Silverlight while fighting Delrith, you may reclaim it from Gideon Bede in the catacombs.
After killing Delrith, the room will start to collapse, and Gideon will teleport you both back to the Saradomin church. Speak to him one final time to finish the quest.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Reward[edit | edit source]
- 3 quest points
- 3x 100 experience lamps giving 100 experience in any combat stat, except Summoning and Prayer
- The Silverlight sword, especially strong against demon-type monsters. If you lose it, you can get a new one from Gideon Bede.
- An Avernic wand and book
- If you are a member, you can talk to Historian Minas at the Varrock Museum to receive 5 Kudos.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Demon Slayer ( 0) – Complete this quest.
- Desert achievements
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Demon Slayer is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Defender of Varrock
- Dimension of Disaster: Demon Slayer
- Full comprehension of Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Foreshadowing
- Recipe for Disaster
- Recipe for Disaster: Freeing the Lumbridge Sage
- Shadow of the Storm
- 'Phite Club
- Alpha vs Omega
- Azzanadra's Quest
- Battle of the Monolith
- Children of Mah
- City of Senntisten
- Full comprehension of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Creatures
- Desperate Measures
- Full comprehension of Desperate Times
- Dimension of Disaster: Curse of Arrav
- Dimension of Disaster: Defender of Varrock
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Do No Evil
- Evil Dave's Big Day Out
- Eye of Het I
- Eye of Het II
- Fate of the Gods
- Full comprehension of Heart of Stone
- Full comprehension of Hero's Welcome
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles (miniquest)
- Mahjarrat Memories (miniquest)
- Full comprehension of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full comprehension of Nadir (saga)
- Nomad's Elegy
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Finale
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Flashback
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Fortunes
- One of a Kind
- Our Man in the North
- Rebuilding Edgeville (miniquest)
- Recipe for Disaster: Defeating the Culinaromancer
- Recipe for Disaster: Freeing Evil Dave
- Remains of the Necrolord
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- River of Blood
- Sins of the Father
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad (miniquest)
- The Curse of Arrav
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- The Temple at Senntisten
- Full comprehension of The World Wakes
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- Twilight of the Gods
- While Guthix Sleeps
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Cultural references[edit | edit source]
- Pulling the sword Silverlight from the stone is a reference to Arthurian lore, in which Arthur proves his right to rule by pulling a sword from a stone.
- The Trial of Faith is very similar to the last trial for the Holy Grail in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Indiana has to walk across a chasm and thereby prove his faith.
- At the start of the quest Bach previously said 'Listen very carefully, I will say this only once', which is a phrase used regularly in the 1980's sit-com, 'Allo 'Allo!.
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Developer||Mod Liono, Mod Stu (2014 rework)|
|Art & Graphics|
|Core||Juliet T (Project Lead), Mod Giara, Mod Sarah|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 10 August 2020 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where the Demon Slayer quest would appear in blue in the Quest List even after being completed.
- patch 25 February 2019 (Update):
- Corrected an issue where the reworked Demon Slayer quest couldn't be started if an old version of the quest had been completed.
- ninja 12 February 2018 (Update):
- patch 14 August 2017 (Update):
- The following adjustments have been made to the Demon Slayer quest:
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- Updated the quest icons for both Demon Slayer and Dimension of Disaster: Demon Slayer.
- patch 4 August 2014 (Update):
- Characters sleeping in the north-east Varrock church have improved animations.
- Grüfeld Bach has been renamed to Gideon Bede. The character has changed from a demon hunter with blood ties to Silverlight to a non-combatant scholar with an interest in the occult.
- Dialogue and journal text throughout the quest has been reviewed for brevity.
- Idle animations on the three spirits guarding Silverlight have been updated.
- A path system player will now be prompted to equip Silverlight if they are attacking Delrith and not wielding Silverlight.
- The amount of anti-Zamorakian rhetoric in the quest has been toned down.
- Monks of Zamorak have been changed to Denath's cultists.
- Human quest NPCs have been changed to use EoC combat animations.
- Cultists and |skeletons have been rebalanced, and no longer heal if out of combat.
- Map links to the two quest interiors have been added.
- The Trial of Faith falling animation has been updated.
- Player will now be encouraged to get Silverlight from their bank if they bank it before entering Denath's crypt.
- Players can now get Silverlight from Gideon in Denath's crypt if they destroy it.
- The demon summoning interior has been rotated 180 degrees, so that Delrith spawns under Varrock.
- The demon summoning cutscene has been improved.
- Gideon Bede will now teleport around to the glowing sigils on the floor during the boss fight so players must re-position themselves in order to be shielded.
- The animations when Gideon casts a shield and Denath burns the Tome of Demonology have been improved.
- The timing of Delrith's special attack has been tweaked to be more accurate and more forgiving.
- A blocked square where Delrith could not reach the player has been fixed.
- Several text references that directed the player to Sir Prysin to reclaim Silverlight have been corrected.
- A reference to the events of Demon Slayer in Shadow of the Storm has been updated to be more accurate.
- Sir Prysin now acknowledges Silverlight if you have it equipped.
- Players can now get a book of demonic lore (Avernic book) and Avernic wand from Gideon Bede after completing Demon Slayer.
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- The trap door in Varrock's church used during Demon Slayer has been moved, making it easier to find.
- patch 17 December 2013 (Update):
- The Demon Slayer quest log now correctly lists 2 spins as a reward.
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- The Spirit of Faith dialogue no longer closes during the Demon Slayer quest.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This quest has received the most reworks of any quests: it was reworked by Mod John A first and received a couple of graphical updates in 2009. On 28 January 2013, it underwent a full rework by Mod Liono. Finally, the dialogue and characters were thoroughly revisited in July 2014 by Mod Stu (with Mod Jack designing it).
- The Spirit of the Mind has several answers that may be considered 'subjective' (Silverlight as a musical troupe; the adventurer actually likes visiting catacombs), but will admit that they are not the correct answers it is looking for.
- If you destroyed the Silverlight obtained during the quest as a free player that had Shadow of the Storm completed, the quest became impossible to complete, as you would only be given Darklight back, which could not be equipped on free worlds. This was hot-fixed by making Bach always give both swords back.
|Part 1 of the Delrith quest series|
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|