Deflect Melee is a curse which is similar to Protect from Melee, except that it has a chance of deflecting some damage back to the attacker. This is considered to be one of the most useful prayers in the game, along with Protect from Melee, as a great majority of the players and monsters in RuneScape use Melee. While having Deflect Melee active, it is possible to take half the melee damage from most NPCs (Notable exceptions include monsters in the Fight Kiln).
Along with the curses Turmoil and Soul Split, the deflection curses are a primary reason for players to switch from the normal prayer set to the curses (provided they have the prayer level to use the deflect curses), as they have the same drain rate as their respective protection prayers, but can deflect some of the damage they would have received back.
Deflect curses will grant you 50% damage reduction against most attacks from players and monsters. Deflect curses have a chance to reflect damage back at your attacker, and the damage reflected is 10% of the damage the attack would have done if not blocked by the deflect curse.
In order to use this curse, you must have the Ancient Curses activated, which requires completion of The Temple at Senntisten quest.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 4 February 2014 (Update):
- An issue where using a hotkey would not activate Deflect Magic and Deflect Melee from the action bar has been resolved.
- patch 24 June 2010 (Update):
- Adjusted the curse deflect animations to be faster. This was an animation issue only; running/walking is still the same with or without curses active.
- According to the ancient hymnal, Deflect Melee's verbal incantation is "Arceto impetum gladiatorum." (I hinder the attack of swords.)
- The deflecting animation does not always occur.