Deflect Magic protects against damage from magic attacks and can deflect some of the damage back onto the attacker. This is potentially an extremely potent curse against users of ancient magicks. This curse can reduce the time of binds from Binding spells and Ice spells and the time from Teleport Block by half. This curse has no effect against Vengeance.
The deflection curses are another reason for players to switch from the normal prayer set to the curses, as they have the same drain rate as the protection prayers from the regular book and can deal additional damage back.
Deflect curses will grant you 50% damage reduction against most attacks from players and monsters. Deflect curses have a chance to reflect damage back at your attacker, and the damage reflected is 10% of the damage the attack would have done if not blocked by the deflect curse.
In order to use this curse, you must have the Ancient Curses activated, which requires completion of The Temple at Senntisten quest.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 22 July 2019 (Update):
- Magic protection prayers and other damage reduction/negation abilities will now work against Muspah's magic attacks.
- patch 4 February 2014 (Update):
- An issue where using a hotkey would not activate Deflect Magic and Deflect Melee from the action bar has been resolved.
- patch 6 December 2011 (Update):
- Deflect Magic no longer hits incredibly high when wearing Veracs equipment.
- According to the ancient hymnal, Deflect Magic's verbal incantation is "Arceto impetum magorum." (I hinder the attack of magical things.)