Defenders are off-hand melee equipment that are wielded in the off-hand slot and provide positive offensive and defensive bonuses. They are the melee equivalent of reprisers and rebounders. Defenders, reprisers, and rebounders have a +3% accuracy boost and 1/15 chance to decrease the damage taken from a hit by 50-100%, which also increases the player's accuracy for their next attack by 20%.
Defenders allow the use of both dual-wielding and shield abilities. For scaling defensive abilities, defenders are treated as shield half their tier. For example, a Kalphite defender scales to a tier 45 shield. Their damage style is stab. To wield a defender, a player must have an Attack level high enough to wield a weapon of that metal and a Defence level high enough to wear armour of that metal.
Defender stats[edit | edit source]
|Defender metal||Levels required||Off-hand||Defence|
Augmentable defenders[edit | edit source]
Dungeoneering[edit | edit source]
The Flameburst defender is a defender obtained in Dungeoneering. Like all other Dungeoneering equipment, it can only be used within Daemonheim, and cannot be removed from a dungeon. Unlike normal defenders it requires only a defence and magic level to wield.
When wielded with a Frostbite dagger, the dagger has an accuracy boost of 10%, however its normal maximum hit is decreased by 10.
Obtaining defenders[edit | edit source]
Defenders are non-tradeable items. The metal defenders (bronze through dragon) can only be obtained by killing the cyclopes or the cyclossus on the top floor of the Warriors' Guild. Twenty warrior guild tokens (or 15 if in multitoken mode) are used up for every minute spent in the cyclops room. Eventually, a cyclops will drop a bronze defender, and when a player has this, they need to show that to Kamfreena who is located just outside the room. The next time that player enters, Kamfreena will inform the player that the cyclopes will now drop the next-tier (iron) defender. The player will then have to kill cyclopes until they eventually receive this drop. This process is continued for steel, black, mithril, adamant, and rune; until the player finally gets to the dragon defender.
The time needed to obtain a defender varies and it generally takes between 300 and 2,400 tokens (about 30min–4 hours) to get to a rune defender. However, it may take over 10,000 tokens to get to Rune, if you are extremely unlucky. With a noxious scythe, one can potentially get dragon defender in 30 minutes with about 300 points.
The corrupted defender requires the player to obtain a corruption sigil from the Barrows chest, and use it on a fully repaired or new Dharok's greataxe, Verac's flail, Torag's hammers or Guthan's warspear.
Like the original defenders, the previous defender must be carried or worn for the components to be dropped.
If a player loses their defender, they will need to start over. Because of this, it is wise for a player to keep duplicate/lower-tier defenders in their bank, so that they can show Kamfreena and start on the defender they dropped. For example, if a player loses his or her dragon defender, but has a rune defender in the bank, the player can show Kamfreena the rune defender and not be forced to start over. Alternatively, the player can obtain two or more dragon defenders which only take up one bank slot.
Once a certain defender has been dropped, it is still possible to obtain lower tiered defenders. By using a lower level defender on Kamfreena, she will put out cyclops that drop one higher than that level, for instance, to obtain more rune defenders, wield a rune defender, but use an adamant defender on Kamfreena. The new cyclops will drop rune defenders and can do so several times if the room is not left, or the received rune defender(s) is/are banked before entering the room as Kamfreena automatically checks the inventory and gear (but not the bank) of the player for the highest defender when entering.
Option responses[edit | edit source]
Kamfreena responses -
- Bronze - "Bronze eh? The next cyclopes are ready, toddle in when you're ready."
- Iron - "Wow, iron eh? The next cyclopes are ready, toddle in when you're ready."
- Steel - "Strong as steel eh? The next cyclopes are ready, toddle in when you're ready."
- Black - "Black, hmmm, about half way to Rune then! Keep going! Cyclopes have been released, enter when you're ready."
- Mithril - "Mithril? Getting good at this aren't you? Ok, I've released those cyclopes that sometimes drop adamant defenders, enter when you're ready."
- Adamant - "An adamant defender, eh? Trying for the Rune defender I'm betting. Ok, I've released those cyclopes, enter when you're ready."
- Rune - "Well done, you truly are a brilliant warrior! I've released some cyclopes that may well drop a dragon defender, enter when you're ready."
- Dragon - "Well done! You truly are a warrior of the highest order! I've released the cyclopes; enter when you're ready."
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 18 February 2019 (Update):
- Players will now receive a unique message when damage reducing items (such as defenders or warpriest armour) proc from environmental damage.
- patch 16 October 2017 (Update):
- hotfix 9 October 2017 (Update):
- ninja 13 June 2016 (Update):
- High-end defenders can now be augmented. These only have one gizmo slot but can take either a weapon or armour gizmo.
- patch 4 January 2016 (Update):
- Players can no longer gain defender parts by having a low level defender and an unrelated off-hand item at the required defender level in their inventory.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Defenders seem to be based on a main gauche (left hand), or parrying dagger, which is a defensive weapon used in fencing and rapier duels
- The defender's special ability to block damage applies to nearly all kinds of damage, such as poison damage, that from failing an agility obstacle, or hard typeless damage.
- The inventory icon was slightly altered on 9 June 2010.
- The look of the defenders were updated on 9 August 2011.
- Prior to the release of dragon defenders on 7 December 2010, it was possible to alch defenders, with rune defenders generating 30,000 coins, adamant defenders generating 17,000 coins, and lower level defenders generating between 300-7,000 coins.
- Defenders gained the ability to use defence abilities on 30 November 2015. The same update added level 70, 80, and 90 melee defenders, with ranged and magic variants following shortly afterwards.
- Currently there is a bug with the damage of the magic and ranged variants. The damage from levels and equipment is halved. The damage (for both ability damage and off-hand damage) on the equipment interface shows the damage of an off-hand weapon of the same level as the repriser or rebounder.
Defenders, reprisers, and rebounders