Decanting is the method by which a player combines or divides potions of the same kind between containers. Players may decant manually in their inventory by using semi-filled potions on each other one by one to combine them, or automatically in any quantity by taking potions to an NPC for their services. All NPCs accept both noted and unnoted potions, however they can only decant noted and unnoted variants with themselves. It is not possible for a player to manually decant potions into smaller doses until completing Otto Godblessed's training, which allows players to use a 4-dose vial on an empty vial to create two 2-dose vials, use a 3-dose vial on an empty vial to create a 2-dose and a 1-dose vial, or use a 2-dose vial on an empty vial to create two 1-dose vials. Players can't manually decant noted potions.
NPCs[edit | edit source]
|NPC||Location||Members||Vials||Juju vials||Potion flasks||Crystal flasks||Ogre flasks||Barbarian mixes||Flasks to vials||Vials to flasks||Powerbursts||Calquat kegs|
|Bob Barter (herbs)||Grand Exchange|||
|Rhobert Dail (herbs)||Tower of Voices|
|Rhodri Dail||Max Guild|
- ^ It is not possible to automatically decant perfect juju potions of any type.
- ^ When decanting combination potions that do not have 4-dose vial counterparts, players will be given 4-dose crystal flasks instead.
- ^ Calquat kegs can be decanted with the vials option, however one can only decant calquat kegs by choosing the 4-dose option. Players will still receive lower dose variants of kegs if they did not have enough doses to make full 4 dose kegs.
- ^ Bob Barter will not decant members only potions in free-to-play worlds.
- ^ a b c Zahur only offers decant options for 1-, 2-, and 3-dose vials, juju vials, and powerbursts.
- ^ Teplin Macagan will only appear and offer his services after the As a First Resort quest has been completed.
Prices[edit | edit source]
Vials, juju vials and powerburst vials will be returned to players if emptied during the decanting process. If a player doesn't carry enough empty containers, all of the NPCs listed will also provide an infinite supply of empty vials, empty juju vials, and empty powerburst vials, for a price. Potion flasks, crystal flasks, and ogre flasks will be taken if emptied during the decanting process, and will have to be provided by the player when decanting from vials to flasks. Calquat kegs will also have to be provided by the player, but will not be taken if emptied. Most of the NPCs also require a fee when decanting vials to 1-, 2-, or 3-dose variants; 4-dose vials are always free to decant. When decanting from flasks to vials, the vials will be provided at the cost of emptied flasks taken.
The fees charged per vial supplied will be 2 coins or its current median GE price, whichever costs more:
- Vial: -2
- Juju vial: -2
- Powerburst vial: -9
Popular uses of decanting[edit | edit source]
There are many situations where decanting to specific doses is either required or otherwise useful:
- Decanting potions into 3-dose or 4-dose variants for use in Herblore training.
- Decanting looted potions, such as overload flasks dropped by Araxxi into vials for Herblore training.
- Decanting potions into 2-dose variants for use in barbarian mixes.
- Decanting to save bank or inventory space by combining many smaller dose variants into full potions.
- Decanting overloads and perfect juju dungeoneering potions into 1-dose variants so one can drink them and enter a dungeon without banking again.
- Decanting vials into flasks to be able to carry more doses of the potion without sacrificing inventory space.
- Decanting potions into smaller doses to risk less wealth when entering the Wilderness.
- Moneymaking, see profiting by decanting.
History[edit | edit source]
Zahur was originally the only NPC capable of decanting potions, doing so for 50 coins per inventory regardless of how many potions a player wanted to decant. She would only be able to decant potions to 3-dose variants and would not accept noted variants of the potions. Later Zahur was given the ability to decant to 2-dose and 1-dose potions as well as noted variants of the potions. Bob Barter was introduced with the release of the Grand Exchange update on 26 November 2007, and was the first NPC capable of decanting potions to 4-dose variants and decanting calquat kegs. With the Player Armour, Gnomes and Clan Fealty update on 6 March 2012, Teplin Macagan was added to Oo'glog, becoming the first NPC able to decant potion flasks. Rhobert Dail in the Tower of Voices was added with the release of the Prifddinas - Lost City of the Elves update on 22 September 2014, and was given the ability to decant crystal flasks. Rhodri Dail was added to Max Guild almost a year later with Prifddinas tweaks in the Player-Owned House Improvements update on 3 August 2015 as an option for players regularly using the Max Guild area. War was added with the War's Retreat & Winter Chill Off update on 27 January 2020 and was given the ability to decant any type of container, this ability was added to more of the decanting NPCs in a hidden update shortly after, also removing the Decant-X option from all of them.
Profiting by decanting[edit | edit source]
It is sometimes more profitable to sell certain potions in specific dose variants, which means players can purchase potions of one variant, decant them, and sell them for profit.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 14 December 2020 (Update):
- ninja 9 November 2020 (Update):
- patch 1 September 2020 (Update):
- You can now toggle the warnings that appear when decanting flasks. You can find the option under the Skills & Experience menu, in the Herblore section.
- patch 24 February 2020 (Update):
- Players can now reliably decant potions without opening a crafting menu.
- 27 January 2020:
- patch 8 May 2018 (Update):
- Teplin Macagan will no longer drop noted flasks to the floor if the player has a full inventory when decanting
- patch 8 December 2014 (Update):
- Players can now decant 5 & 6 dose flasks back to 4 dose potions via Teplin.
- patch 10 September 2013 (Update):
- Teplin Macagan has an extra option to decant the potion flasks in bulk, including noted flasks. He takes the empty potion flasks as payment.
- patch 12 March 2013 (Update):
- Combining vials into flasks will now give you an option of how many to combine at a time, rather than one per click.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Teplin Macagan has a right click option to decant potions to flasks, which works identically to the vials to flasks option that other NPCs have.
- Teplin Macagan will still convert flasks to normal and juju vials when using the flasks to vials option, despite being unable to decant vials and juju vials on their own.
- Zahur is willing to decant players' flasks to 4-dose vials, despite not offering the 4-dose service with any other decanting option.
- Many of the NPCs offer the option to convert vials to flasks and flasks to vials, despite still decanting them to highest dose variant possible, rather than converting the container alone.
- Players do not currently possess the ability to manually decant potion flasks, crystal flasks, ogre flasks, powerburst vials or calquat kegs into smaller doses.