|Release||11 June 2007 (Update)|
|High alch||72,001 coins|
|Low alch||48,000 coins|
|A bow from a darker dimension.|
|Exchange||1,582,494 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
The dark bow is the second most powerful shieldbow in the game, behind the strykebow, and requires level 70 Ranged and 70 Defence to use. While it shoots at little over 7 seconds between attacks (double the time in between attacks (3.6 seconds) compared to other shieldbows), it shoots two arrows with each shot resulting in the same amount of arrows shot over time as any other shieldbow. It is a drop unique to dark beasts, which require level 90 Slayer to kill.
The dark bow is classified as a shieldbow, so wielding it allows the use of abilities requiring a shield.
A wyrm scalp can be added to a dark bow to turn it into a more powerful strykebow. It is also used to recharge a degraded strykebow. Each dark bow provides 20% charge, so five are needed to fully charge the strykebow.
Combat stats[edit | edit source]
|70 , 70|
|Armour||297.2||PvM: 7%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Special attack[edit | edit source]
The dark bow has a special attack called Descent of Darkness which fires two shots for 148-338% ability damage each, or 296-676% total. The in-game description incorrectly states that using Dragon or Dark Arrows will increase the damage, but in fact, all arrows regardless of type will deal the same percentage of ability damage based on their tier. The special attack uses 65% adrenaline. Upon using it, no ammo is used.
When Dragon arrows are equipped, the special attack has the name Descent of Dragons.
Other uses[edit | edit source]
A dark bow is required for a master clue scroll emote clue, along with culinaromancer's gloves 10 and infinity boots.
The dark bow can be used for the Archery competition minigame. It can also shoot as fast as a player can shoot the target and close the score window, allowing the dark bow to be just as fast as any other bow in this minigame.
It is not possible to use this bow for barbarian firemaking. Attempting to light a fire using a dark bow will prompt the following message: "The innate darkness of the bow sucks all heat from your firemaking attempt. You realise that this type of bow is useless for firelighting."
Development Diaries[edit | edit source]
The Impetuous Impulses development diary has a description of the development of the dark bow. The diary contains artist impressions of the dark bow, which form the basis for the development of the bow itself and its special attack.
Colouring[edit | edit source]
In a Guaranteed Content poll created by Jagex on 16 February 2010, the dark bow was nominated for a recolouring, similar to how the abyssal whip was recoloured (allowing the player to decide between four colours). The poll ended on 22 February 2010, with the dark bow winning with 24% of the votes. The coloured versions of the bow are obtainable as a reward from the Barbarian Assault minigame. After Jagex said a new item was to be coloured, people suspected the dark bow would win the poll. As a result, the dark bow rose in price from 1.1m to 1.9m within a few weeks. The dark bow increased further in price just as the Abyssal whip did after the update.
On 29 March 2010, Commander Connad was updated so he would recolour dark bows because it was the Guaranteed Content poll winner. The colouring will make the bow untradeable; however, to remove the colouring, simply use a cleaning cloth and the bow will return to its regular state. Buying a colour for the dark bow and abyssal whip costs 50 points in any role. Once purchased, the colour can be used on either weapon as many times as needed. The dark bow has the same colour options as the whip: yellow, blue, white, and green.
Augmented variants cannot be coloured, nor can coloured variants be augmented.
Products[edit | edit source]
|Enchantment of dread|
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
|Dark beast (elite)||114||1||Rare|
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||23.0%|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 18 February 2019 (Update):
- Players can now use magic notepaper to note dark bows.
- patch 10 January 2011 (Update):
- Using this weapon now counts towards the "Get the Point" Task.
- patch 13 May 2010 (Update):
- Stopped players from looking like they’re running on the spot while using a dark bow and your target is dying.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Before the Evolution of Combat, this weapon had two special attacks, these were as follows:
- Descent of Darkness inflicted up to 30% more damage and did a minimum of 50 damage per arrow (25 on players).
- Descent of Dragons inflicted up to 50% more damage when using dragon arrows and does a minimum of 50 damage per arrow (80 on players).
- On 8 October 2013 with the release of elder bows, the dark bow's Ranged level requirement was increased from 60 to 70, and the damage and accuracy bonuses were also increased. This was done to preserve the dark bow's title of best shieldbow in the game.
- On 2 March 2015, a level 70 Defence requirement was added to the bow.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Osborne. "Guaranteed Content Poll: Recolouring." 16 February 2010. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Osborne. "Recolouring Poll Results." 22 February 2010. RuneScape News.
|Dyed noxious longbow|
|Dyed Seren godbow|
|Dyed Bow of the Last Guardian|
|Recoloured dark bow|
- Grand Exchange items
- Lendable items
- Members' items
- Items that can be disassembled
- Items that are reclaimable on death
- Tradeable items
- Tier 70 equipment
- Two-handed slot items
- Ranged weapons
- Items dropped by monster
- Items that disassemble into Stave parts
- Items that disassemble into Tensile parts
- Items that disassemble into Flexible parts
- Items that disassemble into Precise components
- Items that disassemble into Strong components
- Disassemble category/shieldbows
- Weapons that have special attacks
- Augmentable items
- Adventurer's Log items
- Cosmetic change equipment