The Challenge System is a system intended to suggest skill training methods to players. It was released on 19 September 2012 and reworked on 16 December 2019. It can be accessed using the third tab in the Adventures interface, labelled "Challenges".
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
One daily challenge is assigned to the player each day, regardless of whether they log in. The skill of the challenge can be different each day and for each player. Daily challenges are active by default, meaning that the challenge system tracks their progress without the player having to toggle anything. Completing each challenge awards the player with experience equivalent to a huge XP lamp (75% experience for free players) in the skill of the challenge. Members will also get a Treasure Hunter key per challenge completed.
|This repeatable content has a soft reset.|
|The next period's content will become available only once a player has logged out and in.|
The first time a player logs in each day after the daily reset at 00:00 UTC, they receive several messages, appearing in their chatbox and containing summaries of their active challenges (for example: New Daily Challenge: Prayer - Daily Prayer (0 / 25)). These messages are not filterable. Players can check the details of their active daily challenges by clicking on the third tab from the left in the "Adventures" interface. The newest challenge is at the bottom of the list.
Players may have five active daily challenges. When challenges are completed, they are removed from the list. When a new challenge is added, if the list exceeds the maximum number of allowed challenges, the oldest challenge is removed from the list.
Additionally, it is only possible to have one challenge active at a time for a specific skill.
Divine locations will not count for daily challenges in gathering skills.
Daily challenges[edit | edit source]
|Skill||Tasks||Recommended actions / Notes|
|Agility||Complete full laps of any agility course: 5||Burthorpe Agility Course|
|Archaeology||Restore artefacts: 1[a 1]|
|Combat||Kill enemies: 25||Rabbits in Burthorpe|
|Construction||Construction normal or flat-packed furniture: 5|
|Cooking||Prepare dishes of food: 25||Cook fish or raw meat.|
|Crafting||Create pieces of jewellery: 5[a 2]||Gold rings|
|Fire any urn in a pottery oven: 10||Because all urns require 2 soft clay to make, it is better to create the highest level urns in a skill of the player's choice.|
|Craft pieces of equipment: 5||Leather gloves|
|Divination||Convert any type of divination memories: 25||Flickering wisps (level 10) are located just east of the Falador lodestone.|
|Dungeoneering||Complete either an elite dungeon, a perfecting shifting tomb, or a Daemonheim floor on maximum complexity: 1||Small Dungeoneering floor in complexity 6|
|Farming||Check the health of a farming patch, or gather produce from an allotment, a herb patch, hop patch, or an elder farm animal: 1[a 3]||
|Firemaking||Light any logs or add them to a bonfire: 25|
|Fishing||Catch any type of fish: 25|
|Fletching||Fletch any type of arrows: 150|
|Fletch or string any type of bows: 25||It is not required to string the bows.|
|Herblore||Brew any type of potions: 10|
|Hunter||Catch any 25 creatures, or skin a big game hunter creature.|
|Mining||Mine any type of ore: 5[a 4]|
|Prayer||Offer bones or ashes to the gods: 25||Offering to Daemonheim altars do not count.|
|Runecrafting||Craft essence into any type of rune: 25||A wicked hood can be used to teleport to a Runecrafting altar and to withdraw rune or pure essence.|
|Siphon any type of rune from the Runespan: 25|
|Slayer||Kill slayer creatures that are assigned by a slayer master: 25|
|Smithing||Create or upgrade a piece of equipment using core smithing metals: 2||The number of items created is counted, not the bars, therefore it is best to create items that require only one bar to make.|
|Summoning||Infuse summoning pouches: 5[a 5]|
|Thieving||Pickpocket any target (or loot artefacts in Pyramid Plunder): 25|
|Steal from any market stalls: 5|
|Crack a safe and loot all its contents: 1|
|Woodcutting||Chop any type of logs: 25|
- ^ Assembling a tetracompass at an archaeologist's workbench will count towards this challenge. Centurion's dress sword during the tutorial does not count.
- ^ Firing unfired clay rings at a pottery oven does not count towards this challenge.
- ^ When gathering from a patch, the patch must become empty and items must be obtained in backpack (e.g. harvesting fly traps doesn't work) for the action to count for the challenge.
- ^ Gem rocks, granite, sandstone, red sandstone and crystal-flecked sandstone do not count towards this challenge.
- ^ Ancient Summoning doesn't count.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
After completing a Daily Challenge, players can open the Challenges interface and click the "Claim rewards" button to be awarded experience equal to that of a huge XP lamp (75% experience for free players) in the skill related to the challenge and a Treasure Hunter key (the latter only available for members). In cases where multiple skills are involved, such as with combat, players will be given a Challenge XP Lamp from which to choose which skill to earn experience in.
Archaeology’s daily challenges offers 50% less experience during the first six months. Archaeology was released on 30 March; full experience should start around 30 September 2020.
The following is an experience table detailing the number of experience received from completing a challenge for any given skill level:
|Skill level||Experience||Skill level||Experience||Skill level||Experience|
Players can also talk to either Fara in Burthorpe just south of the bank chest, Heriau in the Tower of Voices in Prifddinas, or Rashida in the center of the Menaphos Plaza near the lodestone, to receive the reward.
Note: If the player completes the challenge but allows it to expire, they will NOT be rewarded for their efforts.
The reward experience is calculated when receiving the challenge, not when handing it in. If the player levels up before handing in the challenge, it will give the same experience it would have at the previous level. If a member's first login of the day is into a free-to-play world, if they receive a challenge in a members' skill, it would be appropriate to the capped level (5) instead.
Influencing assigned daily challenges[edit | edit source]
By talking to Challenge Mistress Fara, Rashida, or Heriau, players may choose to block receiving new challenges in any skills that have maxed levels. For this purpose, 120 Dungeoneering, Slayer, Herblore, and Farming count as maxed. Each skill has its own toggle, so players can choose to block some skills while keeping others assignable. Blocking a skill will not remove challenges for that skill that have already been assigned.
For non-members, having member's skills at level 5 (with the exception of 20 for Archaeology) counts as "maxed" and they can be blocked.
Because players cannot have two active challenges in the same skill, if a player has exactly five skills unblocked, they will always get a different one of those five skills assigned until their queue is full. A player with fewer than five skills unblocked will be similarly assigned, but their queue will never fill completely as there are not enough unblocked skills to do so. Therefore players with five or fewer skills unblocked can guarantee the unblocked skill their next challenge will be assigned in by always completing the desired skill's challenge and keeping the other challenges incomplete as placeholders.
Note: if the player has, for example, six skills not maxed, then the player can still have four placeholder skills which will result in the fifth challenge being in one of the two remaining skills. Simply choose the four that are least desirable and complete the new challenge (in either of the two most desirable skills) daily.
Warning: If four or fewer skills are unblocked and four challenges are currently active, gaining a fifth challenge will result in the fifth challenge being deleted.
Warning: If fewer than six challenges are unblocked and none of them have been completed, this message will appear:
Rerolls and extensions[edit | edit source]
Members can reroll or extend daily challenges from the Challenges tab using vis wax. A reroll costs 25 wax and an extension costs 50.
An extended challenge will be doubled in length, and the player will receive double the experience reward. A challenge can be extended after progressing on it or even after completing it as long as it has not been handed in.
When a challenge is rerolled, the player will be given a choice between the original challenge and a random new one. The original challenge can be kept, but the vis wax will not be refunded. Rerolled challenges cannot be rerolled a second time, even after multiple days have passed.
If an extended challenge is rerolled, the new challenge will not be extended. If the original challenge is kept it will still be extended. The random new challenge can be extended, as extending the original challenge does not count if the new challenge is chosen. If the new challenge is chosen, the vis wax for extending the original challenge will not be refunded.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 13 July 2020 (Update):
- Daily challenges that have been generated while on a free-to-play world will now give the correct XP if they are completed on a members' world.
- Fixed an issue which caused the first and second Recommended Challenges to switch links.
- patch 6 July 2020 (Update):
- Corrected a desyncronisation error that could occur between Daily Challenges and their titles when linked from the Featured tab.
- patch 18 March 2020 (Update):
- Adjusted how daily challenges interact with new players:
- Since basic challenges are now generated for new users, a player could progress a challenge without first completing the daily challenge interface tutorial. To fix this, progressing a daily challenge now counts as completing the daily challenge interface tutorial. The description for the Challenge Accepted achievement has been updated accordingly.
- Since basic challenges are now generated for new users, the daily challenge path is now immediately available, instead of being unlocked by talking to Fara or completing the Burthorpe tutorial.
- Removed a 'You are already in the Burthorpe/Taverley area' message which appeared when tracking a basic daily challenge in this area.
- Corrected an issue where a blank slot could be left behind in the activity tracker when handing in a tracked daily challenge.
- Adjusted how daily challenges interact with new players:
- patch 10 February 2020 (Update):
- Daily fishing challenge can now be completed when setting the Fury shark outfit to "consume fish".
- patch 13 January 2020 (Update):
- patch 6 January 2020 (Update):
- Mining with porters or stone spirits will now correctly count towards a Mining daily challenge. However, this will still only count as 1 towards the progress of the challenge.
- Absorbing memories into empty divine charges via the divine-o-matic vacuum now counts towards the Daily Divination Challenge.
- Having a Divination Cache boost active and depositing all memories in your inventory will now count all deposited memories towards a Divination daily challenge.
- update 16 December 2019 (Update):
- Challenge system reworked entirely. From now on daily challenges will be less intensive, more rewarding, and claimable from anywhere in the game world!
- Items are no longer handed over at the completion of a challenge.
- The experience for all challenges has been standardised, and each daily challenge should award the XP equivalent of a huge prismatic lamp.
- The number of tasks for each challenge has been shortened for many skills.
- patch 14 October 2019 (Update):
- Daily challenge to pickpocket Pompous Merchants can now only be completed by pickpocketing Pompous Merchants & Foppish Pierre, not Men/Women.
- patch 7 October 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with various Jadinkos not contributing to challenge totals.
- patch 28 May 2019 (Update):
- patch 1 April 2019 (Update):
- patch 11 March 2019 (Update):
- Players will no longer get Crafting daily challenges that requires a Crafting level higher than their current level.
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- ninja 10 September 2018 (Update):
- patch 9 July 2018 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause players to not have their task swapped out correctly when logging in to a new day.
- patch 4 June 2018 (Update):
- ninja 12 February 2018 (Update):
- patch 8 January 2018 (Update):
- Crafting dragonhide boots will no longer count towards the craft dragonhide vambraces daily challenge.
- Free players can now toggle max daily challenges in member skills at the level five skill cap.
- Daily challenges are now only assigned to free players if they also meet the secondary requirements.
- The magic log daily challenges for Firemaking, Fletching, and Woodcutting are no longer assigned to free players.
- The Herblore requirement for the 'Clean Tarromin' daily challenge has been corrected from 11 to 5.
- Low-level Fletching challenges that explained how to fletch now tell players to select 'craft' then 'knife' instead of selecting 'fletch'.
- Urn daily challenges are now correctly assigned to free players.
- The 'Brown and Pointy' Fletching daily challenge will now only be assigned if the Smithing requirements are met.
- patch 4 December 2017 (Update):
- The "Spin wool into balls" daily challenge now requires 14 balls of wool instead of 28.
- The following daily challenges are now available to free players:
- Kill Giant Mole
- Cook apple pies
- Spin bowstrings, Spin wool, Soft/Hard/Studded leather, Blue/Black d'hide, Cracked and Fragile Mining/Cooking/Fishing/Prayer/Woodcutting/Smithing/Runecrafting urns.
- Plant barley, Plant hammerstone hops
- Fletch bronze bolts, regular/oak/willow/maple/yew/magic shortbows or shieldbows
- Clean tarromin
- Scatter accursed ashes
- Runespan VI, Runespan VII
- Smith bronze and iron tracks, iron and steel burial armour
- Chop maple trees
- The fish and cook cod and mackerel, and cook bacon daily challenges are now members only.
- patch 23 October 2017 (Update):
- Re-rolling a daily challenge will now only consume vis wax after confirming the re-roll.
- Member skill challenges up to level 5 can now be progressed by free players.
- patch 10 July 2017 (Update):
- Messages for daily challenge completion have been updated to account for the 3 different challenge mistresses.
- patch 2 May 2017 (Update):
- Pinning Paths will now work correctly with the 'hide completed' filter toggled.
- patch 30 January 2017 (Update):
- The daily challenge to create 184 fire runes can now be completed on free worlds.
- patch 17 October 2016 (Update):
- Lucky challenges have been disabled as part of ongoing initiatives to streamline the early game experience.
- ninja 22 August 2016 (Update):
- Non-members will no longer receive Daily Challenges in a members' skill.
- ninja 4 April 2016 (Update):
- The Truthful Shadow Core, Blissful Shadow Core and Manifest Shadow Core daily challenges for Divination have been removed.
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- patch 3 August 2015 (Update):
- A typo previously displayed when extending a Corrupted Seren Stone daily challenge.
- Shadow core challenges will no longer be issued as a Divination daily challenge.
- ninja 6 July 2015 (Update):
- Some combination potion daily challenges' reward values have been slightly re-balanced to make them more worthwhile.
- ninja 1 June 2015 (Update):
- Great white sharks will now count towards the 'Shark' and 'Barbarian shark' daily fishing challenges.
- patch 13 April 2015 (Update):
- Coshed thieving targets now count towards pickpocket challenges correctly.
- patch 30 March 2015 (Update):
- Daily Prayer challenges will now work correctly with cremation.
- An issue where basic challenges could not be completed has been fixed.
- patch 16 February 2015 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to complete the Flash Powder Factory challenge when leaving early.
- Players will no longer complete a lucky challenge when their ship requires repair after a voyage.
- patch 9 February 2015 (Update):
- The hint arrow for the HAM follower challenges will now point to the correct location.
- ninja 19 January 2015 (Update):
- Daily challenges now give more useful information about what is needed to hand in on completion of the challenge.
- patch 12 January 2015 (Update):
- The Harmonic Dust daily challenge no longer requires players to hand in the harmonic dust to complete the challenge. The Crafting XP reward is unchanged.
- patch 5 January 2015 (Update):
- patch 30 March 2015 (Update):
- Daily Prayer challenges will now work correctly with cremation.
- An issue where basic challenges could not be completed has been fixed.
- patch 8 September 2014 (Update):
- The Challenges interface has been updated to use a more consistent interface style.
- Support for Legacy Mode has been added to the Challenges interface.
- Moved daily challenges to the top of the drop-down box in the Challenges interface.
- The Minigames interface has been updated to support Legacy Mode.
- The item name 'adamant daggers' has been corrected in the Smithing challenge.
- The location of crimson swifts in the Hunter challenge has been corrected.
- A missing colon has been added to the instructions for pickpocketing male H.A.M. followers.
- The name of the Agility tickets challenge has been updated.
- A problem with clearing active tasks when completing some types of challenge has been fixed.
- An issue with lucky challenge tasks that mean they may not display properly in the Active Task window has been fixed.
- patch 8 December 2014 (Update):
- Players will no longer receive daily challenges for combination potions they have not unlocked.
- patch 10 November 2014 (Update):
- XP from daily challenges at lower levels has been adjusted.
- The chef's range in Lumbridge will no longer count each item being cooked twice for Cooking daily challenges.
- patch 1 November 2014 (Update):
- Extending and re-rolling of daily challenges with vis wax have had their costs re-balanced.
- patch 20 October 2014 (Update):
- An issue where players could complete the first two basic challenges for Fara multiple times on the path system has been corrected.
- patch 29 September 2014 (Update):
- Players no longer need 99 Summoning to be able to toggle off combat daily challenges.
- The daily challenge for pickpocketing elves has been reworded to make it clear that Prifddinas elves do not count towards the challenge.
- Dungeoneering challenges that have been extended no longer complete after a single floor under certain conditions.
- patch 11 August 2014 (Update):
- The required combat level of NPCs to kill for the Mark II combat daily challenge has been corrected.
- patch 14 July 2014 (Update):
- Lucky challenges and Rhino daily challenges no longer overlap one another.
- Players can once again click on basic challenges if the player disables and re-enables the path system during the basic challenge stage.
- patch 22 April 2014 (Update):
- A confirmation has been added when turning on the Path system, as it will clear any current Daily Challenges.
- patch 24 February 2014 (Update):
- Players with high-level combat stats will no longer receive daily challenges for players with low level-combat stats such as, kill 5 cows.
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- You will now be warned about losing Daily Challenge progress when leaving Stealing Creation.
- The Festive Challenge display on the Challenges interface has now been removed.
- patch 7 January 2014 (Update):
- The daily challenge Delve into Daemonheim hint arrow no longer points to Gudrik's house.
- patch 11 December 2013 (Update):
- The creation of all studded leather armour now counts towards daily challenges.
- patch 15 October 2013 (Update):
- The daily challenge 'Chop elder logs: 30' now correctly completes after chopping 30 logs.
- patch 29 July 2013 (Update):
- Players who have not completed Bringing Home The Bacon no longer receive daily challenges far below their skill level.
- patch 9 July 2013 (Update):
- Daily Challenge reward bags no longer create two stacks of the same stackable item in a player's inventory.
- patch 3 July 2013 (Update):
- Players no longer receive the Wine Stalls challenge without a Thieving level of 22.
- patch 12 March 2013 (Update):
- Construction challenges that offer hints now direct the player to their POH location.
- The Magic Potion daily challenge has been updated to reflect the changes made to the Herblore skill.
- patch 4 March 2013 (Update):
- Studded chaps are now recognized as a valid item for the Studded Leather Armour daily challenge.
- patch 17 February 2014 (Update):
- Some quests have been removed from the Path system, and an introduction to daily challenges has been added in their place.
- The Challenge master area in Burthorpe has been graphically updated.
- patch 21 January 2013 (Update):
- patch 26 September 2012 (Update):
- Dorgesh-Kaan Agility Course now works as intended
- The Runecrafting challenges Runespan XI now works correctly.
- The Cooking challenges 'Churning cheese' now requires you to hand in your freshly made cheese wheels, rather than cheese.
- The Herblore challenges 'Harralander tar' now correctly marks off all progress made.
- The rate of Dungeoneering XP given from handing in a Dungeoneering challenges has been reduced to bring it more in line with the other rewards.
- The 'Flash powder factory' challenge is now only given when all requirements are met.
- The Rampage challenge will now count kills made within the Fight Kiln.
- Handing in a challenge should no longer cause bank tabs to shuffle.
- The double close button on pinned challenges has now been removed.
- Smithing challenges to make metal equipment have been changed to smith metal daggers.
- Construction challenges above level 18 now require flatpacks to be made and handed in to complete the challenge. A reward bag is now given for this.
- Crafting dragonhide equipment challenges have been changed to require dragonhide vambraces.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Challenge System was actually only partially available to free players in that they can still be assigned challenges in members' skills, which they aren't permitted to do or hand in. However, in an update on 22 August 2016, this was changed so that free players can no longer receive Daily Challenges in members' skills. Daily Challenges in members skills were once again made available to free players in December 2017, but an update in January 2018 allowed free players to disable such challenges if they have reached the level 5 cap.
- Previously, it was possible (and even likely) for free players to receive members-only items as rewards from challenge mystery bags. Fortunately, free players were now able to sell members items. Alternatively, free players can simply bank members' items, as they will not take up free-to-play bank space. With the removal of challenge mystery bags, this no longer occurs.
- If a completed challenge expires before a log in, the message that you have a complete challenge to hand in will still be displayed.
- If a free player with already two daily challenges obtains a third upon logging in and completes an earlier challenge during the same session, the oldest challenge will become available again. If the player logs out, then it is be permanently removed.