The Dagannoth Kings are a group of three dagannoths living deep in the cave on Waterbirth Island. They are each level 303, and represent the combat triangle. Each of them uses a different combat style and has a weakness in line with the combat triangle (while immune to all other styles). Each King possesses a unique ring drop, except for Rex who has two. The rings give some of the best damage bonuses for their respective styles. All three kings have the ability to drop the dragon hatchet.
- Dagannoth Supreme, the King that attacks with Ranged and is weak to Melee, specifically stab and Balmung.
- Dagannoth Rex, the King that attacks with Melee and is weak to Magic, specifically fire spells.
- Dagannoth Prime, the King that attacks with Magic and is weak to Ranged, specifically arrows.
Obtaining all unique drops will unlock the Bukalla's Heir [Name] title.
History[edit | edit source]
Three of the strongest Dagannoths ever to exist, numerous Fremennik warriors have fought them for honor and glory, but all have fallen to them.
In year 169 of the Fifth Age, the previous Dagannoth mother, who had been slain by an adventurer, was succeeded by her daughter, who attempted to breed a stronger group of Dagannoth just like her. Intending to conquer the surface world, she sent a massive group of Dagannoth to invade all Fremennik known islands, but the attack on Rellekka was repulsed by the Fremennik there, along with the adventurer that had slain her mother.
The people of Rellekka then began a counterattack, with a small strike force led by the adventurer, consisting of Baba Yaga, Koschei the Deathless, Princess Astrid and Prince Brand. As the strike force arrived at the hatchery, the Dagannoth Kings roared in the distance, realizing that their leader was in danger. The three Kings were intercepted by the rest of the group; despite their powers, they were forced to retreat, but killed Princess Astrid and Prince Brand in the ensuing battle.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
The Kings reside in the sixth level of the Waterbirth Island Dungeon.
The simplest way to reach them is by using a Dagannoth Kings teleport. Players with access to the Max Guild can retune the boss portal. Alternatively one of the War's retreats portals (PvM Hub) can be used if the player has killed at least one of the Kings. Both boss portals will teleport the player directly in front of the entrance, making them the closest teleport option.
If not using one of the above methods to get directly to the lair, it will be necessary to travel to Waterbirth Island using one of the methods below and then navigate through the dungeon to reach the lair.
Teleport into the Waterbirth dungeon using a Dagannoth Kings teleport. You will appear in a cave near to the entrance to the arena.
Teleport to Rellekka (using the lodestone, enchanted lyre or house teleport) and then take the boat to Waterbirth Island by speaking to Jarvald on the westernmost pier. You will appear at the southwestern corner of the island and need to run counter-clockwise around the perimeter of the island until you reach a dungeon entrance.
The Mask of the Dagannoth or Helm of the Dagannoth can teleport you directly to the entrance of the dungeon on Waterbirth Island.
Once inside the dungeon, go through the doors at the far end and follow the path marked on the map.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Baroo Quality ( 35) – Defeat a Dagannoth King whilst wearing full yak-hide armour and a Fremennik round shield.
- Dagannoth Traffic Wardens ( 40) – Defeat the Dagannoth Supreme with each different colour variation of Balmung. Can only be completed in a solo instance.
- They All Fell Down ( 40) – Defeat the Dagannoth Kings all within 5 seconds of each other.
- Long live the Kings! ( 0) – Obtained a collection of unique drops from the Dagannoth Kings.
- Dagannoth for Everyone:
- Dagannoth for Everyone I ( 5) – Defeat any of the Dagannoth Kings. (X/5)
- Dagannoth for Everyone II ( 5) – Defeat any of the Dagannoth Kings. (X/10)
- Dagannoth for Everyone III ( 5) – Defeat any of the Dagannoth Kings. (X/25)
- Dagannoth for Everyone IV ( 5) – Defeat any of the Dagannoth Kings. (X/50)
- Dagannoth for Everyone V ( 5) – Defeat any of the Dagannoth Kings. (X/75)
- Dagannoth for Everyone VI ( 5) – Defeat any of the Dagannoth Kings. (X/100)
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 27 January 2020 (Update):
- Spinolyps seen in Dagannoth King fight will no longer drop items that are unreachable to the player.
- patch 8 January 2018 (Update):
- The aggressive monster warning from the max guild boss portal teleport to Dagannoth Kings has been removed.
- patch 12 September 2016 (Update):
- Dagannoth Kings can no longer be "walked". They will now attack players standing underneath them as intended.
- patch 16 March 2015 (Update):
- It is now possible to use surge in the Dagannoth Kings boss instances.
- ninja 17 February 2014 (Update):
- The duration of the Dagannoth King's respawn timer has been increased due to feedback from last weeks update.
- patch 3 September 2013 (Update):
- patch 25 March 2013 (Update):
- The Dagannoth king’s attack range has been returned to the values used pre-EoC.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When the player used to kill Dagannoth Kings, it would read in your adventurers log which king you killed. Now, if a player kills a Dagannoth King (or several), it says "I killed a Dagannoth King," or if more are killed, "I killed # Dagannoth Kings." If a player kills over 100 Dagannoth kings without getting any rare drop the adventures log will say "I killed many Dagannoth Kings."
- Each of the three kings' names come from a Latin word. Supremus meaning 'highest', Primus meaning 'first' and Rex meaning 'King'.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, the Kings had very high defence against attacks they were not weak to. After the update, the Kings gained complete immunity against the attacks they are not weak to. This does not apply to familiars, even if they are using the wrong combat style.
- For a short time after the Evolution of Combat, the Dagannoth Kings' aggression range was much further than their pre-Evolution of Combat range. This was fixed in a hidden update.
- On 19 September 2016 Dagannoth Kings received both a graphical update and new drop tables.
- Their pets were not graphically updated for unknown reasons.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for these bosses was 60,100 kills.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. Reddit. 2 February 2018. (Archived from the original on 25 January 2019.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Boss in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 20 Boss Killers by Monster (Data: 13th December 2018). Reddit. 8 January 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "[link to a spreadsheet]"