Curse of the Black Stone
|Curse of the Black Stone (#224)|
|Release date||25 February 2019 (Update)|
|Quest series||Pirate, Tales of the Arc, Dragonkin|
|Main developer(s)||Mod Raven, Mod Orion, Mod Cano, Mod Desert|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Curse of the Black Stone is a master quest released in a hidden update alongside the third elite dungeon, The Shadow Reef. It features the player travelling to various islands in The Arc in search of the mysterious "Jade Spider", and venturing into the depths of the Temple of Aminishi, Dragonkin Laboratory, and The Shadow Reef.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Starting out
- 3 Finding the Jade Spider
- 4 The Temple of Aminishi
- 5 The white-scaled alchemist's sanctum
- 6 Where the armoured dragons are made
- 7 The search for Kerapac
- 8 The Dragonkin Laboratory
- 9 The Ambassador's debut
- 10 Waterbreathing
- 11 Dragon riders
- 12 Marriage counselling
- 13 Elite forces
- 14 The Shadow Reef
- 15 Rewards
- 16 Achievements
- 17 Required for completing
- 18 Transcript
- 19 Update history
- 20 Trivia
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Bryll Thoksdottir at Daemonheim|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
The following are not required to start the quest, but must be done to complete it:
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
Note: Cosmetic overrides will prevent access to the Black Knight's Fortress
For full storyline comprehension, it is recommended but not required to complete the following quests:
|Enemies to defeat|
Starting out[edit | edit source]
Her mysterious informant, the 'Jade Spider', is a resident of the Arc, and she has been talking to them by letter and carrier seagull. She tasks you with locating them, and for that you must first travel to Waiko.
Finding the Jade Spider[edit | edit source]
Head to Waiko to look for clues to find the 'Jade Spider'. You may speak to the shopkeepers to try and find information on the spider, and will eventually be led to Zhuka, who is south of the main square. She will hurriedly tell you to travel to Whale's Maw and speak to her contact there for more information, as she is afraid of drawing too much attention to herself.
Once on Whale's Maw, you must locate a villager who knows something about the Jade Spider. Talk to Sea Witch Kaula, on the north-west side of the island, who explains that the Jade Spider gave her a message to give to you, but it is buried nearby. Dig on the western-most sand pile next to the nearby destroyed boat on the island and you will discover a tunnel with turtle tracks heading into it. There are scraps of paper left behind, indicating that the note that had been left for you has been stolen by a nearby Tortle. Check the nearby Tortle that occasionally has messages over its head and retrieve the note from its mouth to receive a Note from the Jade Spider.
The note explains that there is an infection running through The Arc in the form of a sinister cult, and that the Jade Spider has given their location to a trusted friend. You must find the friend and tell them "The oyster is open" for them to know that it's you. The note concludes by telling you that you can find the friend on Tuai Leit.
The Temple of Aminishi[edit | edit source]
Once on Goshima, you will discover the beach is swarming with 12 warriors and scouts. To progress, all twelve of them must be killed. They are found all over the accessible part of the island, so try not to miss any. Once all of them have been killed, you will hear a clonking, clicking noise from the gate of the island's town, Gongdung.
Head into Gongdung, and speak to Madame Shih in the eastern house, who reveals she is the Jade Spider, and that the dark force threatening Gielinor is known as The Ambassador, and that the order in the Temple of Aminishi is connected to it. She tells you to go and investigate the temple, and learn its secrets. To progress in the quest, you will now need to complete the Temple of Aminishi in any mode, which includes story mode. However, if you have already completed a run of the Temple of Aminishi, you will be presented with the option to skip this part of the quest.
- If you do not have a high combat level, it is recommended to complete the Temple of Aminishi in story mode, which can be done in a group. When doing the Temple of Aminishi in story mode, the health of all monsters is reduced by 50% and their damage output is also reduced by 90%. For more information, see the strategy guide. Note that a run will not count if you are not in any one of the main three boss instances. Similar to normal boss fights, the kill won't register if you don't inflict any damage to the boss and you'll have to redo the dungeon.
Once the Temple of Aminishi has been completed, return to Madame Shih to tell her about the activities of the cult and what happened to Seiryu. She will be enraged, and tell you that her agents discovered a stone tablet on the Aminishi beach, written in the language of the Dragonkin. She gives it to you and suggests you find someone able to translate it while she tries to discover more about the Ambassador.
The white-scaled alchemist's sanctum[edit | edit source]
Make your way to the Varrock Museum and go to the basement. Behind the stairs, you will find a door leading to Mr Mordaut (talking to Mr Mordaut on Anachronia will not work). Speak to him and show him the Dragonkin tablet. He will tell you it is part of a map relating to a dragonkin laboratory, and that it indicates another part of the map is safeguarded by a white-scaled alchemist beneath a cold, frozen mountain to the north-east.
Travel back to Daemonheim, and go to the small ruined village down the stairs south of the main Fremennik camp. Investigate the fountain that resembles a fish there, and you will discover it has two strange holes where its eyes should be. Search the fireplace to the east in the ruins, and you will receive carved dragonstone (left). Use this on the fountain, and then carve your own uncut dragonstone into the carved dragonstone (right). Use this dragonstone on the fountain, and the crumbling watchtower up the stairs to the west will be unlocked. Enter it and you will arrive in Kerapac's Laboratory.
Once you enter the dungeon, go west and speak to Hannibus, who reveals that he is searching for Kerapac after he gave him a serum to help with his race's infertility. He will give you another part of the tablet that you are missing, and explains that it is written in a crude representation of the dragon language. It says something about "Where the armoured dragons are made", but he does not know to what that refers.
Where the armoured dragons are made[edit | edit source]
Head to the adamant dragon dungeon, accessed via the Brimhaven Dungeon. You can get there quickest by using a metallic dragon trinket to teleport to adamant dragons (if you do so, you need to ascend the stairs and go back down), or alternatively using the hoardstalker ring or Dungeoneering cape to teleport to the Brimhaven Dungeon resource dungeon. If those options are unavailable, you can simply use the Karamja lodestone to teleport close to the entrance to Brimhaven Dungeon.
Once inside, you will be greeted by Hannibus, who is horrified with the numerous dead adamant dragons littered around the dungeon.
There are many objects to investigate in the surrounding rooms. Hannibus will give you suggestions on what to do next if you speak to him. The metallic object containing a piece of the map can be obtained by reaching in the mouth of the mithril smelter inside the east room of the dungeon, but it needs to be heated to retrieve the map instead. For this, Hannibus will help you speak with the adamant dragon mother in the western-most room; the only survivor of the dungeon's attack by adventurers. Talk to her about heating the metallic object, and tell her that it is one of her babies that needs warmth; and she will breathe dragonfire on it, turning it into a metallic object (heated).
With a rope, head to the pits north of the staircase and lower the object in it to receive a metallic object (brittle). Then use it on the giant stone dragonkin head in the north-west corner of the room with the staircase to break it, and receive another part of the tablet.
The search for Kerapac[edit | edit source]
Hannibus is still unable to completely decipher the map, but indicates it has a drawing of something he saw back at Kerapac's laboratory at Daemonheim. Return there to search for clues. Open the door to the central section of the first room of the dungeon, and investigate the effigy shelves to meet a talking effigy. It will explain that you need to activate the right combination of dragonkin statues to follow Kerapac through a portal he went through in the portal chamber.
There are five dragonkin statues which you can activate throughout the area. In order to start the puzzle, open the door in the centre room with Hannibus and talk to the effigy shelves about finding clues. The objective of the puzzle is to activate all four portals, directing energy at the centre of the room. If you activate a statue, you can also activate it again to revert the changes. Start in the southeastern most room, and activate the statue in the centre. Then proceed the statue behind the door in the same room. Move one room west of that and activate the statue in that room. Then move one room north and one room west and activate the statue in there. In short, activate numbers 5, 4, 3, and 2 and the puzzle is solved. Another solution is to activate numbers 1, 3, and 5. After completing the puzzle, a portal in the northern room will open.
After entering the portal, you arrive on Mount Firewake on Kethsi, where a cutscene ensues; Kerapac talks with his entourage that accompanied him during Sliske's Endgame. Since he destroyed the Stone of Jas, the other Dragonkin see him as a hero. Kerapac tells the attendees that they must set aside any petty differences they had before, and that they must work together and take a stand against their captors.
Once the cutscene ends, speak to Kerapac. You will show him the tablet, and he reminiscences about the experiments that went "horribly wrong". Though he refuses to tell you about the Ambassador and doesn't give you the final piece of the map, he instead tells you exactly where it leads: the Dragonkin Laboratory in the north-eastern Wilderness. He then tells you to leave while he remains with Hannibus to tell him how to properly administer the serum.
The Dragonkin Laboratory[edit | edit source]
Return to Bryll Thoksdottir in Daemonheim and inform her about what you've learned so far, and that Kerapac pinpointed the Dragonkin Laboratory in the Wilderness as the next location to travel to. To progress in the quest, you will need to complete the Dragonkin Laboratory in any mode, which includes story mode. However, if you have already completed a run of the Dragonkin Laboratory, you will be presented with the option to skip this part of the quest.
- If you do not have a high combat level, it is recommended to complete the Dragonkin Laboratory in story mode, which can be done in a group. When doing the Dragonkin Laboratory in story mode, the health of all monsters is reduced by 50% and their damage output is also reduced by 90%. For more information, see the strategy guide. Note that a run will not count if you are not in any one of the main three boss instances. Similar to normal boss fights, the kill won't register if you don't inflict any damage to the boss and you'll have to redo the dungeon.
When the dungeon is completed, return to Bryll and tell her about the Black Stone Dragon you encountered there, and how it was suffering similarly to Seiryu, and that whatever has happened seemed to be linked to the black stone. Bryll will then tell you to return to Madame Shih on Goshima, and tell her what you've learned.
The Ambassador's debut[edit | edit source]
Next you will need to return to Goshima to catch up with Madame Shih, but upon arrival you will be confronted by the The Ambassador. During the cutscene, the Ambassador will kill Madame Shih's crew. Shih immediately wants to avenge her men and teleports out before you can object to her actions.
Return to Bryll at Daemonheim, and she informs you a council has been set up to immediately confront this problem. You will be taken to the dock to the east, with Bryll, Hannibus, Quartermaster Gully and Bosun Higgs to discuss the plan to kill the Ambassador in The Shadow Reef in the Cursed Archipelago, for which you'll need to find a way to breathe underwater. She recommends you speak to the hydromancer Wizard Myrtle.
Waterbreathing[edit | edit source]
Talk to Wizard Myrtle, just outside the Wizards' Tower in Draynor Village. She tells you that she cannot help in your mission, as the location is too far and she is unwilling to travel to the Cursed Archipelago for unsaid reasons. However, she recalls a potion recipe that allows for breathing underwater, it has cryptic instructions on how to make it. She will give you an empty vial to capture 'The winds of winter', as well as magical seaweed that needs to be 'dried in divine blinding light'. She also needs a fish from the Cursed Archipelago.
- The Winds of Winter - Take the empty enchanted "vacuum" vial to the Ice Mountain near Edgeville and click 'Fill' on the vial to receive a filled enchanted "vacuum" vial.
- The Divine Blinding Light - Take the wet seaweed to the Abbey of St. Elspeth Citharede in Al Kharid, and use the 'Dry' option on the seaweed within the gates to receive dry seaweed.
- A fish from the location - Give any type of raw fish and one law rune to Myrtle to obtain a small raw sillago.
With all of the ingredients collected, simply click 'Combine' to mix them into a potion of waterbreathing, which you should now drink.
Dragon riders[edit | edit source]
Return to Hannibus at the war table in the eastern part of Daemonheim. (If he is not there, instead talk to Bryll Thoksdottir, which will progress the quest). He will tell you that they need to destroy the artillery the Ambassador has set up above the Shadow Reef, and for that you will need to enlist the help of the King Black Dragon. Head to Edgeville, activate the artefact northwest of the lodestone, and select the option to visit the King Black Dragon along with Hannibus to enter an instanced dialogue where you recruit the dragon's help. Hannibus asks the King Black Dragon if he knows if any further dragons that could help, but he replies that he has been unaware of other dragons' activities.
Head back to Varrock Museum and speak with Mr. Mordaut. Mordaut will be honoured by Hannibus' visit, who asks him if he knows of anyone who could help. Mordaut tells him that he doesn't know of any dragons, but he does know of a dragon rider fighting for Zaros' forces in the Kharidian Desert. Hannibus will be immediately alerted by the mention and tells you to meet him at the Heart of Gielinor, promising to speak with Mordaut more when the situation is less dire.
Head into the Heart of Gielinor and enter the instanced version. Hannibus will meet with the dragon rider, Vindicta. Vindicta is surprised by Hannibus' small build, though she initially shuns them because they have resigned to their fate. Hannibus then asks her about her origins; Vindicta replies that she was kept safe by Gorvek and that her mother was Morvannon, and her father was Hannibus. Hannibus realises that Vindicta is his daughter, though Vindicta refuses to believe that. However, she is impressed with his feats and learns of the Ambassador's threats to Gielinor, having heard some of it from Zaros. She decides to join the strike force for the thrill of the fight.
Marriage counselling[edit | edit source]
Return back to the war table on the east side of Daemonheim and talk with Hannibus. Afterwards, talk with Bryll once again who will tell the player that Quartermaster Gully wants a word. He asks the player to help his seagull Steven go see his wife and children and tell them he loves them. Head to the north-east corner of Waiko near the Waiko moai and talk to Steven's wife. She claims to have moved on from Steven, and is now in a relationship with Count Ludwig Koppenploppen, who you might have met earlier in Pieces of Hate. You will then need to find evidence about Count Ludwig's shady character from the other seagulls around the island to save Steven's marriage.
- On a water barrel near the Khan's house, on the eastern part of the island
- In the village, on a water barrel east of the southern pier
- On the southern pier, on a water barrel
- On a crate in the shipwreck, near the western pier
- On a crate on the western pier
- Inside of a cage on the northern pier
Talk to Steven's wife again, who is horrified of what the Count has done. He proudly admits to his wrongdoings before flying off. Steven and his wife then make amends with each other. Return to Quartermaster Gully at either the Waiko docks or Daemonheim, who will also thank you and tell you that Bosun Higgs now has a task for you now.
Elite forces[edit | edit source]
Bosun Higgs will ask you to speak to Lieutenant Crane in Taverley Dungeon, as her Kinshra forces would be a useful asset against the Ambassador. Crane can be found in the centre of the Black Knights' Base. She will join your forces as long as you check up on her sister Tessa, at the Black Knights' Fortress.
The quickest way to the fortress is with the Teleport option on the skull of remembrance, but the Edgeville lodestone is also acceptable. Once inside, wear a disguise (such as black armour or the Black Knight captain's armour) and speak to a fortress guard (Note: The fortress guards will not speak with you unless you are wearing the elite black knight armour.), who says he doesn't know who Tessa is or what happened to her, but suggests she may have failed Commandant Bletchley's training, and that her things would most likely be found in the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US]'s western barracks. Go there, and speak to Tessa's suit of armour, which is found on a stand by the room's eastern wall. It will inform you that last it knew, Tessa had gone upstairs for evaluation and never returned.
Head northwest up the staircase to the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] and talk to the Slave leaning against the north wall to discover that she is Tessa, who has been turned into a slave and had her tongue cut off. She writes a message explaining that she and the other female recruits were deliberately failed and made slaves. Return to Crane in Taverley Dungeon and either tell her the truth about what happened to Tess or lie, either way she will send you back to the fortress to rescue her. Alternatively, if you have a ring of charos (a), you can lie and tell her sister is fine to skip the rest of this section of the quest.
Return to the Black Knights' Fortress, talk to Tessa again, and either free her from her manacles by picking their locks, destroying them with brute force or using a pat of butter to let her slip out of them. With that done, head downstairs and speak to Tessa's suit of armour again to receive Tessa's soulbound armour, which she can use as a disguise to escape the fortress. Equip your disguise again if you haven't already, and give Tessa her armour. A cutscene will ensue where you and Tessa will be stopped by Lieutenant York, choose any option to get past him. You and Tessa will then automatically return to Crane in Taverley Dungeon, only for Tessa to collapse from exhaustion, so Crane calls in a medic.
Speak to Crane again after the cutscene, who tells you Tessa is recovering and agrees to join the strike force with some of her best men, on the condition that you help her exact revenge on Bletchey. Go back to Bosun Higgs at Daemonheim and speak to her, and she will agree to help with the plan. After talking to Higgs, head back to the fortress and talk to Commandant Bletchey in the dining hall on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US]. You will tell him to go to the roof, as the deserter Higgs is there. Bletchey confronts Higgs; after a short, but heated conversation, Crane appears from behind and the two torture and kill him. Speak to Crane a final time, who will direct you back to Bryll for the next step.
The Shadow Reef[edit | edit source]
With all of the group now ready to fight the Ambassador's forces on the surface while you head underwater to fight him directly, Bryll directs you to make a speech to your forces to inspire them for the upcoming battle. You may use any chat options to make the speech without affecting the result. Once the speech is over, you will need to complete The Shadow Reef in any mode, which includes story mode. However, if you have already completed a run of The Shadow Reef, you will be presented with the option to skip this part of the quest. The option to skip this part appears both before and after giving the speech.
- If you do not have a high combat level, it is recommended to complete The Shadow Reef in story mode, which can be done in a group. When doing The Shadow Reef in story mode, the health of all monsters is reduced by 50% and their damage output is also reduced by 90%. For more information, see the strategy guide. Note that a run will not count if you are not in any one of the main three boss instances. Similar to normal boss fights, the kill won't register if you don't inflict any damage to the boss and you'll have to redo the dungeon.
After the Shadow Reef has been cleared and the Ambassador's ritual stopped, return to Bryll at Daemonheim and speak to her. Madame Shih will then appear and thank you for avenging her crew. She will explain that she attempted to go and fight the Ambassador herself, but was captured by his forces. She also explains that that she had been corrupted back when she was with Rabid Jack in Ulthven Kreath, and had a desperate obsession to kill the Ambassador, which has gone silent now. Hannibus will then talk to you about his excitement about being a father, and how he intends to stay on Gielinor for a while and attempt to be a parent to Vindicta. Bryll will then congratulate you for saving the world, and offer you a drink.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 4 quest points
- 3 huge XP lamps
- 10% reduction of damage received in the Temple of Aminishi elite dungeon.
- 10% reduction of damage received in the Dragonkin Laboratory elite dungeon.
- 10% reduction of damage received in the Shadow Reef elite dungeon.
- Moonlight mead (m)
- Players can now purchase an upgrade to the Elite Dungeon chests for 750,000 Dungeoneering tokens, which allows banking within the dungeon and always has a 20% chance to double a boss drop.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Additional rewards/activities
After unlocking the Goshima gate and visiting the island outside of quest mode, an azure key can be found in the eastern trunk north of the north-easternmost building in the town.
In addition to various lore found in the room, traversing further through the azure room corridor leads to a previously inaccessible north-eastern island of Aminishi. There are skilling spots for bamboo, north-east Aminishi mine, and a bank deposit box in the south-east by the dock.
- 1 superior scrimshaw of sacrifice
- 1 superior scrimshaw of vampyrism
- 1 ports chi pack
- 1 ports bone pack
- 1 ports plate pack
Looting the trunk completes A Mini Shipment achievement.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Curse of the Black Stone ( 0) – Complete this Master quest.
- A Mini Shipment ( 5) – Loot the trunk in the Temple of Aminishi.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Curse of the Black Stone is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Full completion of Desperate Measures
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 6 July 2020 (Update):
- There is now an Inventory space check for the Moonlight Mead gift at the end of the 'Curse of the Black Stone' quest.
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- Corrected the audio when completing the Curse of the Black Stone quest.
- patch 27 August 2019 (Update):.
- Fixed some grammatical errors within the Curse of the Black Stone quest.
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Removed the Player owned port enhancer from the hidden Temple of Aminishi trunk.
- patch 28 May 2019 (Update):.
- Players who are part way through Curse of the Blackstone quest can now also complete the Jed Hunter miniquest from the Arc if they were part way through that as well.
- Fixed a typo in a Curse of the black stone quest journal.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Upon completion of the quest, the adventure's log states: "I defeated the Ambassador and saved Gielinor from a horrific hidden presence."
- The name of this quest is a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
- The examine text for the Dead Adamant Dragons in the Brimhaven dungeon is "It's dead, but still probably unwise to tickle it." This is a reference to Harry Potter, where the school motto of Hogwarts is "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus", or "Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon".
- Tessa's suit of armour wants to use the codenames Kaffee and Galloway, two of the main characters in the movie "A Few Good Men."
- It also refers to Zamorak as the "God of Dark Fire", not seen since goblin book was released.
- When confronting Lieutenant York in the fortress, the player says "I find your lack of faith in me disturbing..." This is a reference to a line by Darth Vader from Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope.
- Upon fixing the Seagull's marriage problems, Mr. Stevens says "I love you wife" which is a reference to an infamously stunted line from Lost in Space.
- Bringing Eek with you when investigating the adamant smelter will result in a conversation between her and Squeak the spider.
|Elite Dungeon Reward Shop|