The crystal tinderbox is a degradable tinderbox made by singing a crystal tool seed with 150 harmonic dust, requiring 80 Smithing and giving 300 Smithing experience. Players without those requirements can pay various elves to sing the crystal tool seed for them.
The tinderbox gives quintuple the chance of spawning a fire spirit while at a bonfire with it equipped in main hand slot. When it spawns a fire spirit, it loses 3.57% charge (1.78% in Prifddinas), thus lasting 28 uses or 56 uses respectively. After it loses all charges, it degrades back to the crystal tool seed. Like other crystal tools, the tinderbox doubles the chance of getting Firemaking strange rocks for Shattered Heart.
At level 22 Invention players can research the ability to create pyro-matics, which also unlocks the ability to create augmented crystal tinderboxes.
As with all crystal tools, disassembly produces an average of 1.4 crystal parts per tinderbox with maximum junk chance reduction (average of 1.413584/tool over 4704 seeds logged).
The tool seed can be recharged by Ilfeen, Eluned, Islwyn or Rhodri Dail for a cost that starts at 7,500 coins but decreases by 1,500 every enchant, to a minimum of 1,500 coins. Players can also talk to them to turn the tinderbox back into a crystal tool seed.
||Cost for re-enchantment
|Fifth and thereafter
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 25 March 2019 (Update):
- The fired up ring and gloves now have a chance to stop your Crystal Tinderbox degrading when you get a fire spirit.
- ninja 2 October 2017 (Update):
- The crystal tinderbox message for fire spirits can now be filtered under game messages in the chat window.
- ninja 24 August 2015 (Update):
- Crystal tools no longer report an incorrect remaining charge.
- ninja 5 January 2015 (Update):
- The harmonic dust cost to create crystal tools at a singing bowl and Eluned's coin fee to create or recharge crystal tools has been greatly reduced.