The crystal hatchet is the most powerful hatchet available. 70 Attack is required to wield it, and 71 Woodcutting to chop with it, although 75 Woodcutting is indirectly needed to complete Plague's End and thus have access to Prifddinas. It chops roughly 15% faster than the dragon hatchet.
It can be obtained by trading in a dragon hatchet, from either the inventory or the tool belt, and 4,000 harmonic dust to Lady Ithell, in the Ithell Clan district of Prifddinas.
The crystal hatchet can be added to the tool belt, and does not degrade like other crystal items. It features an improved woodcutting speed compared to a dragon hatchet and players using it have twice the chance to gain Shattered Heart and golden Shattered Heart rocks. Players may convert their crystal hatchet back to a dragon hatchet by speaking to Lady Ithell; however, they will not be given back the harmonic dust previously used to upgrade the tool.
The crystal hatchet has a special attack, Clobber, which requires 100% adrenaline and lowers your opponent's Defence and Magic by 5% of the previous level. It also applies a debuff that increases the target's Affinity values by 3.
Players who wish to augment a crystal hatchet already on their tool belt may speak with Doc, who will remove it from the tool belt. He will only perform this service once.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
patch 5 August 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with this item clipping outside of the worn inventory slot.
- patch 8 December 2014 (Update):
- This item will now protect on death correctly.
- patch 24 November 2014 (Update):
- Crystal hatchets and pickaxes now appear in the player's gravestone if lost on death.
- Players can now use a crystal hatchet to chop down teak trees in Etceteria.
- Given a rate of 600 dust per hour at the harps, obtaining the crystal hatchet is worth it if you would spend 51 hours or more chopping trees normally. It is also worth considering that in earning the 4,000 harmonic dust, players earn between 320,000 and 384,000 experience in Crafting.