The crystal bow is a degradable shortbow made from enchanting a crystal weapon seed. It requires the completion of Roving Elves to wield, as well as 50 Agility and 70 Ranged. If lost on death in the Wilderness with PvP enabled, it will be dropped for the killer with all of its charges intact. The attack range of the crystal bow is 7 spaces, the same as any shortbow.
The crystal bow will revert to seed after 50,000 charges of combat, but uses two charges per hit except while within Prifddinas, where it uses one charge per hit. A partially degraded bow can be recharged for a fraction of the player's current creation cost - if it has 90% charges remaining, and the lowest creation price has been achieved, it would cost 20,000 coins to repair. It can also be reverted to the seed form by using it on a singing bowl at any time.
Because it is blessed by the elven goddess Seren, the crystal bow does not require any arrows to use, as it generates its own when fired. This lack of an ammunition requirement makes the crystal bow useful for firing at targets that are behind barriers that prevent normal collection of ammo, such as the greater demons in the Ogre Enclave. The bow can still benefit from the effects of bane arrows, black stone arrows, splintering arrows, and elder god arrows, with the damage capped at the tier of the bow or the arrows, whichever is lower.
A crystal bow can be obtained by one of five methods:
- Purchasing one from the GE, they are now tradeable
- Giving a crystal weapon seed and a scaling rate of coins to one of the following elves to have them sing one for you:
- Using a crystal weapon seed and 750 harmonic dust to sing one yourself at the crystal singing bowl in the Ithell Clan district of Prifddinas (giving 750 Smithing experience).
- Buying one from Islwyn in Isafdar forest for 1,000,000 coins (this amount does not change)
- Choosable reward from Roving Elves (only comes with 20% of its maximum charges)
For the second method, the amount of coins needed to create (and repair) is based on the number of times a crystal weapon/armour seed has been made into an item for coins - the cost is shared over all crystal weapons and shields. The first time costs 1,000,000 coins, and each subsequent creation costs 200,000 less until the fifth time (and every time thereafter), which costs 200,000 coins.
The crystal bow can be recharged by any of the following methods:
|Method||1 crystal enchantment||2 crystal enchantments||3 crystal enchantments||4 crystal enchantments||5+ crystal enchantments||Ithell singing bowl|
|Item(s) consumed||1,000,000 × Coins||800,000 × Coins||600,000 × Coins||400,000 × Coins||200,000 × Coins||750 × Harmonic dust[uc 1]|
|Total GE Price||1,000,000||800,000||600,000||400,000||200,000||447,187.5|
|Average rate[uc 2]||72,000||57,600||43,200||28,800||14,400||32,198|
|High rate[uc 3]||144,000||115,200||86,400||57,600||28,800||64,395|
|Maximum rate[uc 4]||240,000||192,000||144,000||96,000||48,000||107,325|
- ^ Item is not tradeable on the Grand Exchange. Using calculated value.
- ^ 1,800 charges per hour.
- ^ 3,600 charges per hour.
- ^ 6,000 charges per hour.
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
Crystal items are guaranteed to give a special component. They will either give 1 crystal part (common), 1 Seren component (uncommon), or 1 Faceted component (uncommon).
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 23 April 2019 (Update):
- Chargebows will now only consume equipped arrows that have an effect, such as bane, broad and blackstone.
- patch 4 March 2019 (Update):
- Chargebows now take into account arrows equipped or held in an equipped quiver, so special effects like those of dragonbane and black stone arrows can be used with them. Damage will be reduced to the lowest tier of the arrow or chargebow. Chargebows will work as usual when no arrows or another type of ammunition is held in the ammo slot.
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- The PvP death value of crystal weapons and shields has been revised.
- patch 4 December 2012 (Update):
- The crystal bow has ammo type thrown rather than ranged on the GE.
- update 22 February 2005 (Update):
- There is now a third roving elf in the forests of Isafdar. She will create a new crystal bow or shield from a seed when your existing equipment runs out of charges.
- The first time that you take the seed to the elf, she will charge the standard price for either the crystal bow or shield. However, every time you go back to her she will reduce the price, but she will not go below 180k for the bow or 150k for the shield.
- Crystal equipment now also has 2500 charges before it reverts to its seed.
- Attempting to light a fire using the crystal bow results in the message "The bow resists all attempts to light a fire. It seems that the sentient tools of the elves don't approve you burning down forests." The message used to say "You cannot light the fire, because the Crystal Bow has no string." Prior to the release of RuneScape High Detail, the crystal bow indeed had no string.
- Attempting to cast Low Level Alchemy or High Level Alchemy on a crystal bow results in the message "You can't do that to elven crystal!" This is due to a glitch that allowed players to alchemise crystal bows on free-to-play worlds for 540,000 coins each. Players could buy crystal seeds, enchant them into bows for 180,000 coins, and alchemise the bows for significant profit. Because of this, Jagex made it impossible to alchemise members' objects on free-to-play worlds, and made it impossible to alchemise crystal equipment at all.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, the crystal bow (as well as shield) would lose some of its combat bonuses each time it degraded. Now the stats remain the same at all charge amounts.