|Release date||20 June 2016 (Update)|
|Location(s)||Behind the Scenes|
|Actions||Talk to, Examine|
|Examine||The old gatekeeper to the world of RuneScape.|
|NPC ID||22828, 22827, 22829|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Crunchy is a skeleton that Jagex often used for promotional material on the RuneScape website between 2003 and 2006. Crunchy is depicted as a skeletal warrior with a metallic helmet, and was often accompanied by a human named Tim. His most famous role was holding the "High Detail" button before RuneScape HD's release. He also featured in various other pieces of artwork released by Jagex, the most famous of which depicted him playing dice with Tim, released as a wallpaper and on the cover of RuneScape - The Official Handbook. This artwork also depicted Tim and Crunchy with a small green dragon pet called Eski, sitting beneath the table on a leash held by Tim.
After a long absence, Tim and Crunchy returned to website artwork in 2018, being featured on the login screen, in a recreation of the original artwork that depicted him playing dice with Tim.
Crunchy also responded to a letter in the 1st Postbag from the Hedge, which first revealed his name, and later responded alongside Tim and Eski in the 14th issue.
History[edit | edit source]
Crunchy lacks the neccessary body parts for speech, and thus communicates through methods such as gestures and writing. Tim is the only one who claims to be able to understand his gestures, and speaks through him like a ventriloquists dummy to communicate what Crunchy apparently means to say. Parts of him, such as his left hand, have been known to occassionally fall off.
Crunchy first met Tim early in Tim's adventuring career, during an adventure through the Wilderness. Back then, Tim had no friends or loved ones, and he quickly became close to Crunchy, to the point they became inseperable. Since then, they've gone on adventures together for over fifteen years, which Tim describes as "fifteen years of questing, slaying monsters and training our skills", although Crunchy claims he's instead just been riding off his coattails. Crunchy claims that meeting Tim was the best thing that ever happened to him, and really helped him "find his voice".
According to Crunchy in the 14th Postbag from the Hedge, he, Tim and Eski occasionally go on holidays together, and are happy to invite anyone who asks to their dice games.
Gower Quest[edit | edit source]
Crunchy appears as a bobblehead in the Gower Quest, alongside Tim. Due to being incapable of speech, Tim speaks through him like a ventriloquists dummy. According to Tim, after the Tim and Crunchy bobblehead pets lost the Player Power poll, it was decided that they would be in the quest anyway, but the wrong concept art for them was used by mistake. They are in charge of overseeing the five Environment artists, and they task players with giving them cups of tea before they help rob the Wise Old Man's bank. After the quest, Crunchy can be obtained as a pet, along with Tim, by speaking with him or Tim in Behind the Scenes.
Yak to Basics[edit | edit source]
In 2021, Crunchy hosted the Yak to Basics Yak Track in Burthorpe alongside Tim. As the hosts, they requested heroes help them with their quests in exchange for rewards so they could take a break from questing without taking a hit to their reputation
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Tim and Crunchy, yet unnamed, in the fifteenth god letter.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Works[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the 1st issue of Postbag from the Hedge, Crunchy responded to a letter and claimed to have once been a typical adventurer, before he was challenged to a duel by a powerful mage who created worlds. After losing the duel, he was plucked from the world and forced to stand holding the "High Detail" sign. He complained that he didn't get fed, that his arms hurt, and that Tim hadn't had a shower in three years.
- He has a gravestone in the New Varrock graveyard which reads "Crunchy. His bones were sharpened to form Lord Zemouregal's toothpicks."
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Tim, "Yak to Basics", RuneScape. "I've been an adventurer for a long time now, but it wasn't always easy. When I started it was so lonely. I had no loved ones, no friends... One adventure took me through the wilderness, terrified that everything and everyone was out to get me and my loot. But that's when I met Crunchy here. We've been inseparable ever since! He's so easy to talk to."
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 14 - "Transcript:The woeful tale of the bunny ears.", Letter 3, by Crunchy, Tim and Eski. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ Tim, "Yak to Basics", RuneScape. "Don't just tell them that Crunchy! It's been fifteen years of questing, slaying monsters and training our skills! We need a break."
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 1 - "Transcript:Poultry, Dragons and Zombies", Letter 3, by Crunchy. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.