The Crimson Balmung is a reward for completing the miniquest Koschei's Troubles. It requires crushing the Jewel into the Red Jewel (90 Strength required), and handing it to Kharshai to unlock a new memory. This Jewel can be retrieved from Kharshai when the player wishes to recolour Balmung. However, without the Jewel, the Crimson Balmung can be changed into the Achromatic Balmung by right clicking and selecting the "Toggle-colour" option.
When used on dagannoth, all enhanced Balmungs have a 45% bonus to hit chance, and deal 45% more auto-attack damage, or 35% against Dagannoth Supreme. With abilities, the extra damage is 22.5%, or 17.5% against Dagannoth Supreme.
If your Strength level is below 90, boosting your Strength will not allow you to obtain the Red jewel and the Crimson Balmung.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 12 March 2013 (Update):
- The level requirements for Balmung have been updated.
- In Norse mythology, Balmung (or Gram) was the magical sword of the hero Sigurd, or Siegfried as known in Germany.
- Wallasalkis are affected by the Balmung effect as if they were Dagannoth.
- Unlike most Average-speed two-handed swords (including its original counterpart), upgraded Balmung uses a damage multiplier of 22.85 instead of the standard 22.35. All versions of upgraded Balmung share this trait, effectively giving them an approximate 2.2% weapon damage (equating to 3.3% ability damage) bonus over other tier 70 weapons.