Corrupted ore, also called Seren corruption, is an ore gained from mining Seren stones in the Trahaearn Clan's district of Prifddinas. It requires level 89 Mining. Corrupted ore has a 1.2x experience multiplier. This means players gain roughly 40% more experience per regular hit than they would from mining light or dark animica, which both have a 0.84x multiplier. However, the lack of rockertunities and levelling bonuses means the actual improvement is a bit smaller. With level 89 Smithing, corrupted ore can be smelted at furnaces, destroying it and awarding Smithing experience. Players are able to use temporary skill boosts to smelt corrupted ore at furnaces if they lack the level requirement.
Each corrupted ore gives 160 Smithing experience, or 192 when smelted in the Trahaearn district with the Voice of Seren active. By default, it takes 4 ticks (2.4 seconds) to smelt one piece of corrupted ore, which means that up to 1,500 corrupted ore can be used in one hour for a base rate of 240,000 experience. This increases to 288,000 experience an hour when under the effect of the Voice of Seren. At level 91 Prayer, players who have completed The Light Within can use Superheat Form to reduce the time to smelt each ore by one tick, allowing them to smelt up to 2,000 ore an hour. This increases the experience per hour to 320,000 base experience, or 384,000 with the Voice of Seren. It is recommended to use an Orthen furnace core or grace of the elves with an ancient elven ritual shard to negate the curse's prayer drain.
Experience gain can be further increased through the use of decorated smelting urns, which are worth an extra 20% experience, or 25% if an urn enhancer is used. Players using urns should be prepared to go through quite a few due to the relatively low amount of experience required to fill each urn compared to other skills. A decorated smelting urn will be completely filled after smelting only 13 ore, or 11 with the Voice of Seren. Other boosts can be used to further improve experience per hour. If the player uses the complete blacksmith's outfit, has maximum clan fealty, uses the Voice of Seren, and wields a hammer equipped with the wise 4 perk, experience per hour can be boosted to around 444,406.
After smelting their first 100 corrupted ores, players can claim an experience lamp worth 50,000 Smithing experience from Lady Trahaearn. Unlike other ores, corrupted ore stacks in the inventory and cannot be stored in the metal bank. Smelting corrupted ore with the augmented crystal hammer or hammer-tron equipped gives 12.48 equipment experience. As with all other ores, corrupted ore does not yield respect in the Artisans' Workshop.
[view] • [talk]
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- 7 January 2019 (Update):
- Smelting corrupted ore with the Voice of Seren active in the Trahaearn district no longer yields swamp tar.
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- Seren stones are largely unchanged and will remain the best AFK mining method. They still drop corrupted ore. As core ores are now more valuable, Seren stones may be less useful.
- Trahaearn hour causes random level 90 animica rocks to spawn on each world, requiring worlds to be searched for a good pattern. In addition all mining has a higher chance for double ore, and smelting corrupted ore gives more XP.
- patch 3 April 2018 (Update):
- Corrupted Ore will now open the Make-X interface when you click on a furnace.
- hotfix 12 September 2016 (Update):
- Corrected the rate that Seren stones give corrupted ore.
- patch 12 September 2016 (Update):
- You once again gain corrupted ore in your inventory when mining normal or harmonised Trahaearn rocks with a porter equipped.
- patch 29 September 2014 (Update):
- A typo when smelting corrupted ore has been fixed.
- When released, the examine text of corrupted ore was a reference to the examine text of most ores, which read: "This needs refining."
- It would take approximately 55,050 corrupted ore to reach level 99 Smithing from level 89, not including buffs from experience-boosting items or consumables, or the Voice of Seren effect.
- Smelting corrupted ore with the Voice of Seren active in the Trahaearn district used to give swamp tar prior to the Mining and Smithing rework.