|Solve this mystery.|
|Release date||30 March 2020 (Update)|
|Infobox • Infobox talk page|
Contract Claws is a mystery and achievement encountered at the Infernal Source Dig Site, wherein the player learns of the thirteen guardian gargoyles of the site, also known as the Malebranche. The player may start this mystery by speaking to Ophiuchus the gargoyle, who may be found in the Vestibule of Fury, the uppermost level of the Source, beside the portal to the Dungeon of Disorder.
|Dig site||Infernal Source|
|Required items||These items can be obtained before and/or during the mystery.|
Steps[edit | edit source]
Required items[edit | edit source]
In order to acquire the items required for the mystery, player may use this guide. If they already have the item in their bank they may simply withdraw it. The cow(s), red dye, bacon, dragon bones and frog spawn will be consumed by the gargoyles and cannot be returned after the mystery.
|Item(s)||Steps/methods to acquire|
Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry cow
|Raw bacon or cooked Bacon|
|Some equipment with life bonus
The gargoyles[edit | edit source]
To complete this mystery, players must free each of the 13 gargoyles. This is done by speaking to them with a specific item in their inventory or by using a specific emote in order to acquire a rambling page from the gargoyle. Players must navigate through the portals within the Infernal Source in order to complete this mystery. The navigation portals are unreliable by default and often randomly teleport, therefore multiple attempts may be needed at the start to successfully navigate from one landmass to the other. Assisting Mephisto can reduce the chance of random teleportation down to 1/100, or adding a restored chaos star to the toolbelt (requiring level 68) eliminates random teleportation.
- Players may use the given map to navigate correctly to each of the gargoyle portals.
- The gargoyles can be done in any order if you have the proper items.
- Players will receive coins respective to the zodiac sign, so it is advised that they have inventory space available when doing the mystery, and that all gear is banked.
|Zodiac sign / portal||Gargoyle||Ramblings of a gargoyle sequence||Requirements||What to bring||Location||How to reach|
|Aries||Cagnazzo||1||N/A||N/A||Vestibule of Futility (northeast)||Step through the portal with any dog or puppy follower (including the corgi, the Lorehound, the abyssal hound, Blue, or blazehound).|
|Taurus||Libicocco||2||N/A||N/A||The Harrowing (northeast)||Use the angry emote once, then step through the portal. Use the angry emote again.|
|Gemini||Alichino||3||N/A||Harlequin cow or one each of a checked vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry cow (any growth stage)||The Harrowing (east)||Step through the portal.|
|Cancer||Rubicante||4||N/A||Red dye||The Harrowing (southeast)||Talk to the gargoyle and dye him red.|
|Leo||Graffiacane||5||N/A||Any method to bring your life points below maximum.[z 1]||The Harrowing (southeast)||Step through the portal while not full hp.|
|Virgo||Ciriatto||6||N/A||Bacon||Vestibule of Futility (south)||Feed the bacon to the gargoyle.|
|Libra||Scarmiglione||7||N/A||N/A||Vestibule of Futility (southwest)||Use the raspberry emote once, then step through the portal. Use the raspberry emote again.|
|Scorpio||Malacoda||8||33 Fishing||Frog spawn||Vestibule of Futility (southwest)||Step through the portal.|
|Sagittarius||Calcabrina||9||37 Prayer||N/A||Dagon Overlook (west)||Pray any overhead Protect prayer or Deflect curse, then step through the portal.|
|Capricorn||Barbariccia||10||N/A||Fake beard from Rocking Out, Santa beard, or the desert disguise. [z 2]||Dagon Overlook (northwest)||Equip the item, then step through the portal.|
|Aquarius||Farfarello||11||Land of the Goblins||Goblin potion||Dagon Overlook (north)||Unequip all equipment, drink the goblin potion, step through the portal, and then transform back to human by wearing any item. Then talk to the gargoyle.|
|Pisces||Draghignazzo||12||N/A||Dragon bones or baby dragon bones||Vestibule of Futility (north)||Step through the portal.|
Required to complete[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 6 April 2020 (Update):
- Players may now use either a Harlequin cow, or one each of a Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate cow during the relevant Archaeology mystery.
- Different styles of beards can now be used for the Capricorn portion of the Contract Claws mystery. Allows Desert disguise to work.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The player Sliske was the first player who completed this mystery on 30 March 2020 which was shown in-game with the announcement: News: Sliske is the first to solve the 'Contract Claws' mystery!
- The Malebranche and their names (with the exception of Ophiuchus) are taken from the Divine Comedy, where they guard Bolgia Five in the eighth circle of Hell. Some of their dialogue and most of the requirements to speak with them refer to the meanings of their names in Italian.
- Cagnazzo means "Nasty Dog". Draghignazzo refers to Cagnazzo as a nasty dog, and a dog is required to reach Cagnazzo.
- Libicocco has been translated as "Libyan Hothead", and both Cagnazzo and Libicocco refer to it as a hothead, in addition to requiring the player to appear angry.
- Alichino is derived from the Italian name for the character of Harlequin in commedia dell'arte; Libicocco refers to Alichino as "the harlequin", and Alichino wants a harlequin cow.
- Rubicante means "Red-faced Terror", referenced both by the need to dye the gargoyle red and by Alichino and Graffiacane calling it "the red-faced one".
- Graffiacane means "Scratcher of Dogs", which is how Rubicante refers to it. This may also be why Graffiacane is associated with the sign of Leo, a large, clawed feline.
- Ciriatto means "Wild Hog". Ciriatto is called a pig by Graffiacane, oinks at the player, and must be given bacon to complete the mystery.
- Scarmiglione has been translated as "Troublemaker", and Scarmiglione refers to itself as such, in addition to both Ciriatto and Scarmiglione alluding to the player "making/causing trouble" by blowing raspberries.
- Malacoda means "Evil Tail", which is what Scarmiglione calls him, as well as being the reason he is associated with the sign of Scorpio.
- Calcabrina has been translated as "Grace Stomper", and uses this title for itself.
- Barbariccia means "Curly Beard", referenced by the gargoyle's fondness for beards.
- Farfarello means "Goblin", which is what it and Barbariccia refer to it as, and what you must be in order to reach it.
- Draghignazzo means "Nasty Sneering Dragon", and Draghignazzo is called a dragon by itself and Farfarello, as well as eating dragon bones.
- When Alichino eats the player's harlequin cow, it says "I will not change my name. No, I am no troll." This is a reference to Baby Shakes, the other creature known to eat player-owned farm animals.
- Malacoda's dialogue and love of frogspawn are a reference to the Russian fable of the Scorpion and the Frog.
- Farfarello's musing over "red or green" is a reference to the Goblin Diplomacy quest.
- Talking to Alichino with a strawberry cow, a chocolate cow, a vanilla cow and a harlequin cow all in your inventory results in him taking the three flavoured cows.
|Ramblings of a gargoyle|