Hard mode strategies for Commander Zilyana
Introduction[edit | edit source]
In hard mode, Zilyana's health is lowered from 60,000 to 50,000. Unlike the other generals, she has two phases, so she still has the same 100,000 health pool like them. When she reaches 0 health in the first phase of the fight, Zilyana will be rejuvenated by Saradomin's power, and cannot be attacked until this animation finishes, which is indicated with her settling back onto the ground. Her bodyguards, if slain, will usually respawn once this occurs.
She gains two new abilities in the second phase:
- Lightning: Zilyana will occasionally send lightning at players in the arena, dealing anywhere from 200-1700 hard typeless damage every two ticks. The lightning appears to have no set pattern.
- Ultimate Death: Upon reaching 0 health, Zilyana will collapse on the ground, with a bar filling over her. A bar will fill over her head in ten seconds; if not killed by then, she will restore 50% of her health and yell , resuming combat as normal. To kill her in this state, she must be hit with an ultimate ability; basic and threshold abilities deal no damage to her.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
The first phase is similar to the standard fight. Zilyana's affinities to Melee and Magic are slightly modified, with a 5 and 10 increase respectively. Her Defence level remains the same as in normal mode. It is recommended to use Magic when fighting Zilyana in Hard Mode, as this ensures maximum accuracy.
In the second phase, Zilyana can add lightning to her attack, which deals 200-1700 hard typeless damage each tick. Zilyana performs this after a specific amount of attacks have been performed; the first batch appears after two auto-attacks, while the second appears roughly 8-10 auto-attacks later. Each player gets lightning, though it randomly bounces around the chamber. The lightning despawns when Zilyana is killed. Zilyana only performs this attack when she attacks her target, although the random bounce means that in solo encounters, the player can simply move out of the affected area.
After reaching 0 health in the second state, Zilyana needs to be killed with an ultimate damage-dealing ability; Berserk and Metamorphosis will not count, because these don't deal damage to the target. Onslaught can be used with any combat style and finishes off Zilyana in this state while draining only 25% adrenaline.
Alternatively, if the player is ranging, an eldritch crossbow's special attack and using any ability while under its effects will also kill off Zilyana in this state.
Ranged[edit | edit source]
The player should attack Zilyana while running around the room, reducing the amount of times she hits the player and for rangers/magers it will allow Fragmentation Shot and Combust to hit for two times the damage as long as she moves around. Ranged users should use Deflect/Protect from Melee, while Magic and Melee users should use Deflect/Protect from Magic. Both styles can use Soul Split to restore lost health.
Recommended action bar setup for rangers:
- If using a 2h crossbow, Needle Strike should be swapped for Dazing Shot.
Rapid Fire is best used at the start of the kill as moving around terminates it due to being a channelled ability. It is not recommended to use this on the second phase as Zilyana is more likely to hit harder and summon lightning tiles. Snipe is also a channelled ability, but can be used while moving (and have its accuracy increased by 25%) if Nightmare gauntlets are worn.
Onslaught and then Deadshot should be saved for the finishing blow.
Magic[edit | edit source]
Recommended action bar setup for mages:
- If using a staff, Concentrated Blast should be swapped for Sonic Wave.
Cast Vulnerability on Zilyana as soon as she spawns; it persists through her phase change.
Metamorphosis is useful as it boosts the player's magic damage by 62.5% for 15 seconds even while moving.
Asphyxiate is best used at the start of the kill as moving around terminates it due to being a channelled ability. It is not recommended to use this on the second phase as Zilyana is more likely to hit harder and summon lightning tiles.
Onslaught and then Tsunami should be saved for the finishing blow.
Melee[edit | edit source]
The player should attack Zilyana using the hit and run tactic to minimise damage taken. This is vital during the second phase as for every hit she does has a chance to summon lightning in the room. Debilitate is useful as it reduces Zilyana's damage inflicted by 50% for 10 seconds - meleers take more damage than any other style so this is recommended.
It is not advised to use Berserk as Zilyana can hit up to 2800 in a single hit while in Berserk mode, possibly leading to a short and deadly trip for the player.
Recommended action bar setup for 2h melee:
Onslaught and then Pulverise should be saved for the finishing blow; the latter restores 50% of the player's adrenaline upon killing a target.
Recommended action bar setup for dual wielding melee:
Onslaught and then Overpower should be saved for the finishing blow.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Inventory[edit | edit source]
The following is only a recommendation.
- Food: Rocktail soup > Rocktail > Shark
- Prayer restore: Prayer potions and prayer renewal
- Combat potions: Overloads > Extreme potions > Super potions
- Adrenaline potion
- Runes for your best spell, if using Magic
- Familiar: Bring a beast of burden, and summon a healer once it is empty.
- Beast of burden: Pack yak > Spirit pack pig (tier 3) > War tortoise > Spirit terrorbird
- Healer: Unicorn stallion and scrolls > Bunyip > Fire/Ice/Moss titan and scrolls
- Emergency teleport, also used to leave the chamber