A combination rune is any rune that is made by combining two of the basic elemental runes (air, earth, fire, and water runes) at a Runecrafting altar. Combination runes simultaneously count as one of each type of the runes required to make them; a dust rune, for example, counts as both an earth rune and an air rune. House Teleport, a spell that normally requires one earth rune and one air rune, would instead need only one dust rune.
Combination runes can be made at an altar by using the opposite rune or its matching talisman on the altar, whilst carrying additional pure essence. Use (do not click) on the altar, otherwise basic runes will be made. Both altars will make the same elemental combination; for example, to create steam runes, a player could:
- Go to the fire altar with water runes, a water talisman and pure essence; or
- Go to the water altar with fire runes, a fire talisman and pure essence.
A tiara will not work, and in the process of crafting combination runes, the talisman is consumed. This can make combination runecrafting somewhat expensive as some talismans have fairly high prices (such as water talismans, which are currently priced at 3,809 coins). The Lunar spell Magic Imbue, which requires level 82 Magic, allows players to craft combination runes without need of a talisman. In addition, each rune has only a 50% chance of being successfully created. A binding necklace raises this chance to 100%, although the necklace is destroyed after 15 uses.
Combination runes[edit | edit source]
Player will notice that it is possible to craft each type of combination rune at two separate altars, however doing so would require inverting the elemental ingredients. Players will receive less experience if they chose to craft at the lower-levelled altars. For example if a player makes mist runes at the air altar they will receive 8 experience for each mist rune made, while crafting at the water altar will give 8.5 experience per mist rune. The following list reviews both the components and exp. rates of the different combination runes. The 'Low-rune' list relates the experience from crafting at the lower-level altar, the 'High-rune' list relates the experience if crafting at the higher-level altar.
|Rune||level||Can replace||Exp. from type of altar||G.E. price|
Combination staves[edit | edit source]
As of now, only lava, steam and mud runes have an elemental staff modelled after them: the lava battlestaff, steam battlestaff and the mud battlestaff, respectively. Being battlestaves, each of these also has a Mystic battlestaff version. The elemental battlestaff supplies the holder with an unlimited supply of all elemental runes (air, water, earth, and fire). It requires level 30 Magic to wield. It can be received as a reward from master clue scrolls.
Effective crafting[edit | edit source]
The highest possible number of combination runes crafted in a single trip is 102. This can be achieved by doing all of the following:
- Wielding a binding necklace to maximise the number of combined runes to 100% of the amount carried.
- Wielding a steam battlestaff or a mystic steam staff to save 2 inventory spaces.
- Using the Magic Imbue lunar spell to avoid the need for a talisman to be consumed.
- Wearing a full infinity ethereal outfit set, which stores 12 essence in the body piece.
- Utilising all 5 rune pouches (small, medium, large, giant, and massive pouch) to store 48 essence.
- Summoning an Abyssal titan, which can carry 20 essence in its inventory.
- Carrying 21 essence in the inventory.
- Withdrawing essence from the infinity ethereal head after the Magic Imbue spell has been cast, for an extra 1 essence. Additionally, one can use the wicked hood for a maximum of 175 essences per day.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 2 October 2017 (Update):