|Release date||20 September 2006 (Update)|
|Quest NPC||• The Slug Menace|
|Examine||A (semi) retired member of the Temple Knights.|
|NPC ID||? (edit)|
|Infobox • (multi) • Talk page|
Colonel Jake O'Niall is a retired Temple Knight officer, a highly secretive Saradominist organisation. After his career was ended in an unknown incident, he maintained contact with the Temple Knights and helps gather intelligence for the organisation.
History[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
Jake O'Niall was born in Year 117 of the Fifth Age in Draynor Village, a small agricultural community in southern Misthalin. He moved to Falador and joined the White Knights, being recruited to the Temple Knights at age 15.
Years of service[edit | edit source]
O'Niall spent more than 30 years amongst the Temple Knights, where his distinguished service in more than 30 campaigns earned him great recognition. At some point he became friends with the Wise Old Man, whom he recommended the Temple Knights recruit as a senior officer several times.
The sea slugs[edit | edit source]
In the year 169, the government of Kandarin authorised the construction of a Fishing Platform off the coast of Kandarin, in a very deep, fish-rich part of the Southern Sea. Fish were farmed in mass numbers, decimating the fish population closer to the coast. Witchaven soon lost its formerly thriving fishing industry, and it fell from the public eye and faded into obscurity.
O'Niall, though, continued to live a relaxing life within the village, despite its large unemployment rate and poor economy. He soon noted, however, a number of strange occurrences both at the Fishing Platform and in Witchaven. An ancient species of Sea Slug, thought for thousands of years to be harmless, had secretly managed to overrun the Platform and village, turning many of the inhabitants into zombie-like thralls.
Informing the Temple Knights of this, O'Niall began to gather historical data on the area. Sir Tiffy Cashien, a senior officer of the Temple Knights, recruited the help of an adventurer that had previously assisted them in the capture of Solus Dellagar, as well as saved a number of individuals from the Fishing Platform.
The adventurer was sent to O'Niall, who helped him or her discover the origin of the Slugs: Mother Mallum, a sentient Sea Slug that had wreaked havoc during the God Wars. O'Niall directed the adventurer to an ancient book, which he believed would hold the answer to keeping Mallum imprisoned in an ancient Temple Knight structure beneath Witchaven. He was later possessed by a sea slug.
The adventurer followed the book's instructions, only to discover too late that the book actually described how to release Mallum. After killing the Slug Prince, the adventurer was nearly ingested by Mallum, but managed to narrowly escape with the help of the Temple Knight Savant.
The Temple Knights found that O'Niall had recently been possessed by the Sea Slugs, but was in the early stages of symbiosis and thus had not gained many of the physical qualities of those possessed by the parasites. O'Niall, his mind now destroyed and his body a puppet, fled Witchaven before he could be apprehended, and has since not been seen, not even his rocking chair.
The Temple Knights have previously ordered all agents to kill Col. Jake O'Niall on sight, but this was removed in a hidden update. During Salt in the Wound, Eva tells that he was captured and interrogated, but would not say anything. He could not be freed as his slug's tentacles were too deep. He presumably is freed of mind-control after the death of Mother Mallum.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- He is a reference to Colonel Jack O'Neill from the Stargate TV series.
- After the Slug Menace quest nothing is left of O'Niall except his chair. Previously, the chair still was shown as a yellow dot on the minimap, but this was removed in a hidden update. However, his chair still has a yellow label.
- The colour of his shirt changes after his possession.
- Like most white and Temple Knights, his name is a play on words, in this case "colonial".
- O'Niall may be based on Zadok Allen from The Shadow over Innsmouth by H. P. Lovecraft. Both of them inform an outsider about the malevolent force taking over the town while avoiding being taken over by said presence, and both disappear after helping the outsider due to the malevolent force's efforts. Additionally, the Sea Slug quest series draws heavy inspiration from Lovecraft's works.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Commorb v2, page Col. O'Niall, RuneScape. "Forced into retirement due to the *CLASSIFIED* incident, he assists in an information gathering role."
- ^ Commorb v2, page Col. O'Niall, RuneScape. "Age: 52
Place of Birth: Draynor Village"
- ^ a b Commorb v2, page Col. O'Niall, RuneScape. "Recruited from the White Knights at the age of 15, he has served with distinction in over thirty separate campaigns."
|Retired or deceased|
|Part 3 of the Temple Knight quest series • Part 2 of the Sea Slug quest series|
|Characters mentioned in the letters|