|Release||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Ore||Coal (232 coins)|
|This rock contains coal.|
|talk • view|
Coal is used in combination with ores such as iron or mithril to smelt bars in a furnace to create armour and weapons with Smithing. Coal may also be used to heat a smithing auto-heater to keep your heat when smithing.
The forge and anvil extremely close to the Gunnarsgrunn mine make it a great spot for depositing coal into your metal bank. The Lumbridge south-west mine is quite close to the bank at Shattered Worlds (members only). Having an ore box can help reduce the amount of trips to the bank.
Mining[edit | edit source]
|Mining level||20||Critical hit chance|
|Stone spirit||Coal||Rockertunity multiplier|
|Durability||140||Double ore chance|
|Base ore||1||Geode chance|
|Varrock armour double chance||10%||15%|
Locations[edit | edit source]
|(Managing) Miscellania mine||6||Throne of Miscellania|
|Abandoned Mine||36||Haunted Mine|
|Coal truck mine||12||None|
|Desert Mining Camp||3||Tourist Trap|
|Dwarven coal mine||7||None|
|Falador west mine||3||None|
|Jatizso dungeon mine||19||The Fremennik Isles|
|Keldagrim north-east mine||6||Started The Giant Dwarf|
|Legends' Guild south-west mine||4||None|
|Living Rock Caverns||8||None|
|Lumbridge south-west mine||3||None|
|Mining Guild||8||60 Mining|
|Miscellania Dungeon mine||4||Part of Royal Trouble|
|Trahaearn coal mine||8||Plague's End|
Loot[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Coal stone spirit||1||1/10[d 1]||18||Not alchemisable|
|Sedimentary geode||1||Varies[d 2]||1||1|
Graphical updates[edit | edit source]
Coal rocks were updated in March 2011 with the Lumbridge Swamp graphical rework, however they weren't updated in other areas until the release of 2011 Easter event. They were updated again with the release of Mining and Smithing rework in January 2019.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- Reduced level requirement to mine coal to 20.
- Coal rocks have been graphically updated.
31 January 2012 (
- Mining rocks and veins have been renamed using the respective ore names.
- update 19 April 2011 (Update):
- The graphical update to mining rocks released with the Lumbridge Swamp improvement has been applied across the rest of the game.
- update 15 March 2011 (Update):
- Coal rocks have been updated in Lumbridge Swamp.
- update 4 January 2001 (Update):
- Added to game.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Coal, like all other mined rocks, used to respawn at a rate indirectly proportional to the number of people in the rock's RuneScape world before the update on 13 March 2017.
- Coal used to respawn in 45 seconds before the Mining and Smithing beta update.