|Release||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Ore||Coal (232 coins)|
|This rock contains coal.|
|talk • view|
Coal is used in combination with ores such as iron or mithril to smelt bars in a furnace to create armour and weapons with Smithing. Coal may also be used to heat a smithing auto-heater to keep your heat when smithing.
The forge and anvil extremely close to the Gunnarsgrunn mine make it a great spot for depositing coal into your metal bank. The Lumbridge south-west mine is quite close to the bank at Shattered Worlds (members only). Having an ore box can help reduce the amount of trips to the bank.
Mining[edit | edit source]
|Mining level||20||Critical hit chance|
|Stone spirit||Coal||Rockertunity multiplier|
|Durability||140||Double ore chance|
|Base ore||1||Geode chance|
|Varrock armour double chance||10%||15%|
Locations[edit | edit source]
|(Managing) Miscellania mine||6||Throne of Miscellania|
|Abandoned Mine||36||Haunted Mine|
|Coal truck mine||12||None|
|Desert Mining Camp||3||Tourist Trap|
|Dwarven coal mine||7||None|
|Falador west mine||3||None|
|Jatizso dungeon mine||19||The Fremennik Isles|
|Keldagrim north-east mine||6||Started The Giant Dwarf|
|Legends' Guild south-west mine||4||None|
|Living Rock Caverns||8||None|
|Lumbridge south-west mine||3||None|
|Mining Guild||8||60 Mining|
|Miscellania Dungeon mine||4||Part of Royal Trouble|
|Trahaearn coal mine||8||Plague's End|
Loot[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Coal stone spirit||1||1/10[d 1]||18||Not alchemisable|
|Sedimentary geode||1||Varies[d 2]||1||1|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- Reduced level requirement to mine coal to 20.
31 January 2012 (
- Mining rocks and veins have been renamed using the respective ore names.
- update 4 January 2001 (Update):
- Added to game.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Coal, like all other mined rocks, used to respawn at a rate indirectly proportional to the number of people in the rock's RuneScape world before the update on 13 March 2017.
- Coal used to respawn in 45 seconds before the Mining and Smithing beta update.