This article is about the removed spell. For special attack, see Guthix staff
Claws of Guthix was a combat spell in the standard spellbook. Casting it required a Magic level of 60 in addition to having either a guthix staff or a void knight mace equipped. The spell was unlocked by completing the Mage Arena activity; it had to be cast 100 times within the arena itself in order to be used anywhere else. Upon a successful hit, Claws of Guthix had the chance of lowering the target's Defence by 5%.
By itself, Claws of Guthix had a maximum hit of 200 life points. Like the other God spells, Saradomin Strike and Flames of Zamorak, the spell Charge temporarily increased the maximum hit to 300.
However, neither Saradomin Strike nor Flames of Zamorak could be cast with a staff that boosts magic damage, while the Void Knight Mace increases magic damage by 10%, which could have increased Claws of Guthix's maximum hit to 330. With an arcane stream necklace as well, the total magic damage boost is 25%, which would have increased the max hit to 375.
Furthermore, if a player used a hexcrest or full slayer helmet while on a Slayer task with the aforementioned items, the total magic damage boost would have been 35%, increasing the max hit to 405. The highest hit known was 466, which was cast on another player in the Duel Arena using Charge, a guthix cape, the void knight mace, saradomin's hiss and boots, gloves, and ward of subjugation.
As of the implementation of Legacy mode, it is now possible to use the spell as a special attack wielding the guthix staff, however the requirement of casting divine storm 100 times in the mage arena still applies to its use outside the arena. To accomplish this it is advised to use Evolution of Combat mode, select Divine Storm, and switch off all abilities while in the mage arena so that all attacks use the Divine Storm spell. Once the spell has been unlocked, simply switch to Legacy mode or use the weapon threshold ability to use the spell as a special attack (guthix staff must be equipped).
|124||6,425|The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- update 2 September 2009 (Update):
- It is now possible to autocast Claws of Guthix.
- Prior to this, Claws of Guthix was the only god spell that could be autocast, but only through the use of the void knight mace.
- update 10 January 2007 (Update):
- The effect of the Flames of Zamorak spell is to temporarily reduce its victim's magic level. This was not working against players who'd boosted their magic levels (such as by drinking a potion). We have now fixed the spell to make it drain its victim's magic level, even if that level had been boosted. A corresponding bug has been fixed with the Claws of Guthix.
- Previously, if the target's Defence level were reduced or boosted from the normal level, as would be the case after using a defence potion or something similar, the Defence level would remain unaffected by the spell. This was corrected on 10 January 2007.
- Claws of Guthix was removed from RuneScape by the Evolution of Combat update on 20 November 2012.
- Guthix Wizards from Elite Clue Scrolls still may use Claws of Guthix.