The Clan Chat (abbreviated as CC) was added to the game along with the Clan Camp on 12 April 2011. Similar in functionality to the Friends Chat, it provides a channel for communication between all members of a registered clan who are online at the time. Online clan members join the Clan Chat automatically upon logging in, and are always present during gameplay or while in the lobby. Clan Chats are available to both free players and members.
Until the Clan Camp update, what is currently called the Friends Chat was known as the Clan Chat.
A scrolling list of Clan Members and visiting players (if allowed by Clan Officials) will be displayed in the clan chat interface. Next to each Clan Member is an icon displaying their rank in clan, while visitors do not display any rank in this interface. Also listed is the world players are on. Players in the same world as you will show their world number in Green. All other worlds and Lobby will appear in yellow.
Next to the scroll bar is a triangle marked button for each player in channel. This button displays a slide option to temporarily ban visitor from chat, or check the amount of gathered resources in the citadel by the member. The Temporarliy ban visitors option can only be used by clan members with appropriate permissions (see Clan Settings) to temporarily ban visitors from participating in chat. For more information, refer to Kicking/Banning Guests. Note that this option cannot be used to temporarily ban clan members, not even by clanmates ranked admin or above.
The "Check amount of gathered resource by a member" is available to Clan members who have a rank with permission to do so, and can only be used when on the same world as the member they want to check. This will display to the administrative member the amount of resource gathered for the clan citadel since the last tick by this member.
Recruiting new members[edit | edit source]
To invite new players to a clan, a player who has a rank that has the ability to recruit players (which is given in the clan permissions interface) must click the 'Invite' button which sits along the bottom of the clan chat interface, and then click on the player they wish to add to the clan. A player may also invite someone to a clan by using a vexillum on the player they wish to invite. That player will receive a message in the chat box, asking them to join your clan, which they can click on to accept or refuse. If they accept, they will then be placed in the clan as a recruit (which can be later changed by a clan member ranked admin or above).
Usage[edit | edit source]
Players send single messages to the Clan Chat channel by typing two slashes (//) and then their message. If they want to send multiple messages to clan chat, they can swap their chat mode to clan by clicking the 'clan' button beneath the chat box, or typing '/c' then enter. When in the default chat mode of clan, all messages typed without any slashes prefixing them will always be sent to the clan chat channel. A message sent to the channel will appear for every online clan member, regardless of their current world, or if they are in the lobby. Because of this, the Clan Chat system is a useful way to reach all online members at once for announcements, or to hold discussions or meetings
Individual players can filter the messages received from the Clan Chat by toggling the Clan option at the bottom-left of the screen, even setting it to Off if they do not wish to take part in discussions. They can also leave the clan chat by pressing the 'leave Clan Chat channel' button on the bottom of the clan chat interface to be dropped out of the chat temporarily.
Guests[edit | edit source]
Players who are not official members of a clan can join its Clan Chat as a guest if they know the clan's name and if the clan's officials allow guests to join the chat. They can do so by opening the clan chat interface, then clicking on the green Visited clan chat button in the bottom-right corner of the clan chat interface, and finally clicking 'Join/leave another clan's clan chat' in the bottom-left corner of the interface.
Rather than the usual two slashes, players preface messages with three slashes (///) in order to send them to a guest Clan Chat. Players may also type '/g' then enter to swap to guest chat mode, which will send any non-prefaced messages to guest clan chat by default. Depending on the settings of the Clan Chat, guests may be able to enter the channel and read messages, but unable to send any of their own. If an administrator invites a non-clan member to join the Clan Chat, they will be ranked as Recruit; otherwise, guest players are not ranked.
Guests can be used to infiltrate clan chat groups if the clan allows guests, as the guest will have access to all of the clan's active members and which worlds they're on, which can be used to track them down across worlds, which is most common with Wilderness activities. To counter this, players of a clan can leave the clan channel, ranks can kick/ban guests or close the channel to all guests. Players can decrease the chances of getting guest-tracked by setting their private to friends or nobody, making themselves unexaminable and hiding their RuneMetrics Adventurer's Log so that only friends/themselves can see it.
Kicking and banning guests[edit | edit source]
Guest members of a clan chat can be kicked by anyone with the "Who can kick from the chat" permission (as set in the clan settings interface). The kicks can be performed by either clicking the arrow beside the guest's name in the clan chat interface and then clicking the 'temporary kick/ban' button or right clicking any chat message sent by the guest. A message will then be printed automatically by the kicking player stating the player they are attempting to kick. Kicks will then last for an hour, unless the clan chat is emptied (which is more difficult to do with the clan chat since players cannot kick clan members to help empty the channel).
Guests can be permanently banned from a clan chat by adding their name to the Clan ban list, which is the red tab beside the visited clan chat. Players can only be added to this list by clan members ranked admin or above. Adding someone's name to this list makes them unable to join as a guest until their name is removed from the list. This list is visible to all members of the clan chat and has a capacity of 100 players.
Leaving the Clan Chat[edit | edit source]
It is possible to leave a clan chat without leaving the clan entirely by clicking the 'leave Clan Chat channel' button in the bottom-left corner of the clan chat interface. This will drop the player out of the clan chat channel until they press the same button again, or until they log out into the lobby. To leave the clan permanently, players must either be kicked from the clan by a clan member ranked admin or above through the clan settings interface, or they can click the 'leave clan' button along the bottom of the clan chat interface. This is Bank PIN protected. Note that if the player leaves the clan chat without leaving the clan, they will still have their online status shown in the 'clanmates' tab of the clan's page in clan home (which will be shown to either everyone, or just other clan members depending on their private chat settings). If a player leaves a clan they can immediately join another clan, however they will have to wait 7 days before using the clan citadel if they have used a citadel in the last 7 days.
Changing clan owner[edit | edit source]
To transfer the ownership of a clan to another member, the future owner must first be ranked deputy owner. The current clan owner can then either press "leave clan" in the bottom-left corner of the clan chat interface, or demote themselves to a rank admin or below. Doing so will bring up a confirmation message which the owner must accept to transfer the ownership of the clan.
Clan settings[edit | edit source]
Clan officials are able to change the following settings of the Clan Chat. All options are set to "Recruit+" by default; clan members with Administrator ranking and above can adjust the settings[source needed].
- Who can talk on chat? - Determines who can send messages to the channel. The settings range from Anyone (including guests) up to Owner only. Players who do not have the required permissions to be able to talk can still join the channel and read others' messages.
- Who can kick from chat? - Determines who can kick and ban guest players from the Clan Chat. The settings range from Recruit+ to Owner only.
- Who can enter chat? - Determines who can join the channel. The settings range from Anyone to Owner only. In order to allow non-ranked guest players to enter the chat, an administrator must change this setting to "Anyone".
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 4 May 2021 (Update):
- Fixed an issue which caused the Clan Chat lobby to present a logout modal when typing.
- patch 22 February 2021 (Update):
- Fixed the incorrect colouring of Clan Chat and Friends Chat, as well as other minor text re-ordering issues.
- patch 14 September 2020 (Update):
- Clan Chat guests will now receive a message explaining that they do not have permission to talk in the Clan Chat immediately after joining it.
- The kick message for Clan members can now be found in the Quick Chat box.
- patch 11 May 2020 (Update):
- Hid the Clan Cup button on the Clan Chat List, as the event is long since over.
- patch 13 January 2020 (Update):
- Adjusted clan member anniversary messaging to better account for calendar months and years as well as adding a new 1 month anniversary message.
- patch 9 September 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that allowed the guest clan chat channel requirements to be bypassed.
- Joining guest clan chat channels now has a 1-minute anti-spam cooldown should you leave a channel and then try to rejoin, or fail the entry requirements.
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Clan Chat Job titles will once again now update the Clan Chat player list when the alphabetical position changes with display name.
- patch 1 July 2019 (Update):.
- You can now once again use the clan info buttons if your clan chat interface is too small.
- You can now look at your Clan Log from outside of the Citadel.
- patch 28 May 2019 (Update):.
- If you are now the last person remaining in a Clan and have a Citadel you can now reliably leave that clan, thus disbanding it.
- patch 13 May 2019 (Update):.
- Clan members should no longer trigger a "has been in the clan for 0 years!" broadcast
- When a guest fails a guest clan chat PIN check the broadcast to fire to a clan informing them should now work properly
- Clan Chat Job titles will now update the Clan Chat player list when alphabetical position changes with display name.
- patch 11 March 2019 (Update):
- Added tooltips over players names in both the Friends Chat and Clan chat list which displays information about the world they're on.
- patch 4 March 2019 (Update):
- Display names in clan channels are ordered alphabetically, regardless of case.
- patch 6 August 2018 (Update):
- Guest clan broadcasts will no longer display your own clan name when a player who hasn't logged in for a long time returns to the game triggers a clan broadcast.
- patch 30 July 2018 (Update):
- Achievement broadcasts are now available for Clans!
- You can customise your Clan achievement broadcast settings in the Clan Settings tab, changes are automatically broadcasted to admin+ to ensure your clan can track changes.
- By default anytime a player in your clan triggers an achievement broadcast (For example, has received a spider leg top drop!) it will now output this to your Clan.
- If you are guesting in a clan chat you will also be able to see Clan Achievement broadcasts from that clan in your Guest Clan Chat.
- The clan's name will be shown when a Clan Broadcast fires, this can be prefixed via the Prefix Settings located in 'Chat Settings'.
- If a clan member logins in for the first time after 30 days, a message will go out to the Clan to let them know and welcome them back.
- A clan login message has also been added!
- Accessible to Deputy Owner+ via right clicking the 'I' icon in Clan Chat, this allows you to write up a custom message to display to clan members if they've been logged out for more than 6 hours when they next login (Clan members who don't want to see this message can toggle off the message if they don't want to see these anymore via chat settings).
- When setting a login message you will get a chat message which shows you what it'll look like to a clan member when they login.
- Upon recruiting someone to your clan they will see the login message set by your Clan.
- When editing the login message a broadcast will be sent out to the ranks that are specified in Clan Admin Messages that the login message has been edited.
- Clan Chat has been significantly rewritten across the board, it should now be smoother to use and for us much more optimized, with this comes the ability to finally mute your own Clan Members from Clan Chat via Clan Settings, details below!
- An option to mute individual clan members has now been added to Clan Settings
- Known issue: The Clan Chat muting will only work in-game, if they're still being a pain, kick them!
- If said clan member has been muted they will now have an icon displayed to the right of their name in Clan Settings (as a result of this change the old Rated Clan Wars icon has been removed).
- When muting a clan member a broadcast will be sent to Clan members who are admin+ informing them of the player who's been muted/unmuted
- Clan Chat now shows total number of players in the chat
- Clan Chat now shows the total number of members in your clan on hover over of your clan name
- Clan Guest chat now shows total number of players in the chat
- The chat list when guesting in another clan should now update dynamically without you having to leave and re-enter to see who's joined/left since then.
- The Clan Ban List now shows number of players banned
- The Clan Ban List will now give you a message telling you if your clan ban list is full when trying to add a ban when at your cap.
- Achievement broadcasts are now available for Clans!
- ninja 15 May 2017 (Update):
- The clan broadcast for someone guesting in your clan chat is will no longer appear repeatedly when they change worlds and rejoin.
- ninja 8 May 2017 (Update):.
- The clan broadcast for someone guesting in your clan chat will no longer appear repeatedly when they change worlds and rejoin.
- patch 26 January 2015 (Update):
- Players can now use the 'Join' feature via their Clan Chat and Friends Chat interfaces.
- patch 6 October 2014 (Update):
- The error message that appears when a player tries to select a reserved display name has been corrected.
- patch 1 September 2014 (Update):
- Players will no longer reconnect to guest clan chat when they are already in that clan.
- patch 14 April 2014 (Update):
- Banned guests can no longer spam a clan chat with Clan Admin messages by constantly attempting to re-enter the channel.
- patch 31 March 2014 (Update):
- The default blue font colour in the clan chat tab of the chatbox interface has now been changed to more suitable colour, making it easier to read the text.
- patch 7 January 2014 (Update):
- The key bind for guest clan chat will no longer prevent players from using that letter to type.
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- The tooltip to leave clan and guest clan chat channels has been corrected.
- patch 24 July 2013 (Update):
- The Clan chat window's separator will now remember it's position over log-in sessions
- The rejoining Clan chat functionality works once again.
- patch 14 February 2012 (Update):
- Some tooltips on the Clan Chat interface have been made orange, consistent with other tooltips on that interface.
- patch 14 September 2011 (Update):
- Joining the ‘last entered’ guest clan channel now enters immediately instead of just putting the name into the text input field.
- patch 9 August 2011 (Update):
- The Friends, Friends chat and Clan chat interfaces now report players in RS Classic correctly.
- Players banned from a clan's chat are now also banned from entering that Citadel.
- patch 25 May 2011 (Update):
- The colour of the ‘same world’ text on the clan chat interface has been darkened.
- patch 16 May 2011 (Update):
- Players can now temporarily ‘switch off’ their Clan Chat channel in-game by clicking a button on the Clan Chat side interface.
- The clan chat interface has been graphically updated to match the friends list interface.
- The bank pin system has been installed on clan owners leaving, demoting themselves or promoting deputies.
- A new ‘Last guest clan entered’ feature has been added when trying to join a guest clan, similar to when joining a Friends Chat channel.
- Reorganised all buttons on the interface to the bottom.
- update 26 July 2011 (Update):
- The Clan Settings interface was updated to allow permissions to be set by rank level (as opposed to being either predefined or set to a maximum level). A few other minor changes were made including the removal of the Rated Clan Wars leader and recruiter titles (which must now be set by rank level).
- patch 23 March 2010 (Update):
- Automatically entering the last Clan Chat channel should work correctly once more.
- patch 9 November 2009 (Update):
- Improved the code that attempts to rejoin you to a Clan Chat channel on login.
- patch 20 October 2009 (Update):
- Alphabetical sorting of the Clan Chat channel list wasn't handling lower case names.
- Adjustment to the ‘last Clan Chat channel’ feature.
- patch 7 October 2009 (Update):
- Improved the code handling of the last name entered for the Clan Chat feature.
- You'll get a more informative messages if trying to use Clan Chat while not in a Clan Chat channel.
- Properly aligned unranked and ranked names on the Clan Chat interface.
- Fixed a problem where the Clan Chat window would cut off three digit words instead of showing them.
- patch 17 September 2009 (Update):
- When going to other players’ houses or joining clans, the game now suggests the name of the last person's house or clan channel you entered.
- update 15 October 2008 (Update):
- Players in the same clan chat channel will now appear as purple dots on the minimap. This is the second highest priority after friends (green) and before other players wearing the same team capes (blue).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There is currently a glitch with the Clan Settings. When clicking on a clanmate's name to change rank, the options to edit their rank stay blackened, and Please select a clanmate to view. is displayed.
- There is currently a glitch when a clan member's rank is changed from within the citadel to co-owner it shows their rank symbol as that of a recruit.
- There is currently a glitch within the Clan Chat that will duplicate a clanmates name when a clanmate's rank changes. One of the duplicated names will keep the original rank the clanmate has, while the new rank is placed upon the secondary duplicated name. This however will disappear after some time.
- Until 4 April 2016 players had to wait 7 days to join a new clan after leaving one.
- Before an unknown update, selecting the no option on the confirmation screen for leaving a clan would cause the player to say "No, I will remain in the clan." in the chat interface.