Chronicle: RuneScape Legends
|Chronicle: RuneScape Legends|
|Release dates||25 November 2015 (beta)|
26 May 2016 (official)
|Discontinued||6 August 2018|
|Genre||Turn-based card game|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Chronicle: RuneScape Legends was a turn-based strategy card game. It was a multiplayer game that was planned to have integration with RuneScape in the form of gaining additional cards. The beta version was released on 25 November 2015, and was officially released on Steam on 26 May 2016.
On 8 May 2018, it was announced that the game would be removed due to "multiple technical issues" combined with a dwindling player base. The servers for the game remained running until 6 August 2018.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Playable legend characters[edit | edit source]
As of the games closure in 2018, 6 playable characters were released:
Cards[edit | edit source]
Types & subtypes[edit | edit source]
Cards in Chronicle: Runescape Legends are divided into two main types:
- Enemy Cards (Red), also know as Fight Cards, are monsters from Runescape that can be defeated to earn gold, weapons or other beneficial effects.
- Support Cards (Blue), also know as Adventure Cards, are characters, spells and equipment (such as armour and weapons) from Runescape used to help the player or hinder your opponent, but often require a gold cost or other sacrifice to use.
In addition, each card can also have a subtype that the card falls into:
- Enemy Cards
- Support Cards
- Slayer Task
Some cards can only be used in a deck featuring a chosen legend character. Additional cards can be obtained through booster packs bought from the in-game shop or crafted with materials earned from online play.
Card layout[edit | edit source]
The layout of each card dictates how each card is played.
|Enemy Card||Support Card|
|Top row: The Attack and Health stats of the enemy.||Top row: The Gold cost required to use the card.|
|Text: The name and subtype of the card, and any additional effects that activate when defeating/using the card.|
|Bottom row: The stats the player gains upon defeating/using the card, and the gemstone rarity of the card.|
Card rarity[edit | edit source]
Each card has a gemstone rarity, with rarer cards being harder to obtain from booster packs and harder to craft with materials. These rarities range from Sapphire (common), Emerald (uncommon), Ruby (rare) and Diamond (very rare).
Player & card stats[edit | edit source]
- Weapon, displayed as Weapon Attack/Weapon Durability, is the statistics of the player's current weapon:
- Weapon Attack is the bonus to the player's Attack stat granted by the weapon. Therefore, an Attack stat of 4 and a Weapon Attack stat of 1 will result in each attack doing 5 points of damage.
- Weapon Durability is the number of times a weapon can be used before breaking. This stat is reduced by 1 every time the player makes an attack. When this stat is reduced to 0, the weapon breaks, losing your attack bonus.
- Attack is the base amount of damage a player or enemy card can inflict per attack.
- Gold is the amount of gold the player currently has.
- Health is the current health of the player or card. When a player's health reaches 0, that player loses the game. When an enemy card's health reaches 0, that enemy card is defeated and the player who defeated it obtains any loot that the card drops.
- Armour is the temporary health of the player. When a player takes damage, this will be depleted instead of your health if your armour stat is greater than 0. When this stat is reduced to 0, attacks will deplete the target's health as normal.
Playing the game[edit | edit source]
Games can be played casually or ranked online against another player.
Each player starts with an opening hand of 6 cards, but allows you to replace unwanted cards with new ones from your deck. If the player goes second, they draw 1 additional card at the start of the game. Each legend character starts with the following stats: 2 Attack, 0 Gold and 30 Health.
The game is played across five rounds (called Chapters) set in a page of the Chronicles book themed on a different Runescape location, with up to four cards allowed to be played per round. Each card is played in a position across a set linear path during each chapter, and once both players have set their cards each player progresses to each played card sequentially until either player's health reaches zero or the last card in the chapter is played. When a chapter has concluded, a new chapter starts and each player draws 3 cards.
If neither player has been defeated prior to the end of chapter five, both players battle each other until one player's health is reduced to 0.
Open beta promotions in Runescape[edit | edit source]
To celebrate the release of the open beta for Chronicle: Runescape Legends, Chronicle Players were added to the game in several locations, such as the Blue Moon Inn in Varrock. They have all since been removed from the game as of 10 July 2017.
A companion pet, Chronicle, Book of Legends, could also be claimed from one of the Gorajo hoardstalkers that could be found around Gielinor between 21 March and 4 April 2016. When summoned or used as a pet override, the pet can be interacted with to play an emote and previously be able to receive a 5% experience boost for one hour. Interacting with the pet also allowed players to answer questions on Chronicle: Runescape Legends, with answering all 14 questions correctly awarding a small XP lamp or a bonus XP star (small) from the Gorajo hoardstalker. With the end of this promotion and the removal of the Gorajo hoardstalkers, the pet can now be unlocked upon entering the Legends' Guild.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]