Chompy birds are monsters that can only be killed after completion of Big Chompy Bird Hunting. They can only be attacked with the ogre composite bow or ogre bow, and bloated toads must be used as bait to catch them. When a chompy bird is killed, a message says: "You scratch a notch on your bow for the chompy bird kill."
After 30 kills, the player can wear chompy hats. When a chompy dies, it leaves a corpse, which can be plucked to gain feathers. Doing this will also place a raw chompy and some bones on the ground. Upon reaching 4000 kills, players will be rewarded with 30,000 Ranged experience (which can be increased with bonus experience).
Players have a 25%/50%/75%/100% chance to spawn an additional chompy bird while hunting chompy birds, respectively if Easy/Medium/Hard/Elite Ardougne achievement diaries are completed.
Killing 30 chompy birds is a requirement for obtaining the master quest cape, and killing 4000 chompy birds is a requirement for the trimmed completionist cape.
Pluck its feathers, and it's ready to be cooked
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- ninja 22 July 2019 (Update):
- Added a 25%/50%/75%/100% chance to spawn an additional Chompy bird while hunting chompy birds, respectively if Easy/Medium/Hard/Elite Ardougne achievement diaries are completed.
- ninja 18 July 2016 (Update):
- Allowed use of abilities on chompy and jubbly birds.
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- Chompy birds no longer appear to have 1 lifepoint when defeated.
- patch 26 September 2012 (Update): ** Certain messages have been removed while Chompy bird hunting to prevent spamming.
- patch 31 August 2011 (Update):
- Chompy birds now work correctly with the bonecrusher.
- patch 16 June 2009 (Update):
- Prevented certain bubbles in the Feldip Hills from blocking Ranged attacks when hunting chompies and jubbly chompies.
- The chompy bird's appearance is similar to that of the extinct dodo.
- The chompy bird's name possibly comes from the Nicaraguan word for Turkey, "Chompipe", pronounced "chom-pea-pay".
- It previously could not be Monster Examined. This might have been because it does not attack the player. However, it is now possible, and states that this monster has a max hit of 8.