Chompy birds are monsters that can only be killed after completion of Big Chompy Bird Hunting. They can only be attacked with the ogre composite bow or ogre bow equipped, and bloated toads must be used as bait to attract them. When a chompy bird is killed, a message says: "You scratch a notch on your bow for the chompy bird kill."
After 30 kills, the player can wear chompy hats. When a chompy dies, it leaves a corpse, which can be plucked to gain feathers. Doing this will also place a raw chompy and some bones on the ground. Upon reaching 4000 kills, players will be rewarded with 30,000 Ranged experience (which can be increased with bonus experience).
Players have a 25%/50%/75%/100% chance to spawn an additional chompy bird while hunting chompy birds, respectively if Easy/Medium/Hard/Elite Ardougne achievement diaries are completed.
Killing 30 chompy birds is a requirement for obtaining the master quest cape, and killing 4000 chompy birds is a requirement for the trimmed completionist cape.
The dwarf multicannon and its variants the oldak coil and kinetic cyclone can target and kill chompy birds if the cannon's owner has one of the required bows equipped.
Pluck its feathers, and it's ready to be cooked
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
- Master Bogreman ( 10) – Unlock the ogre bowman hat by killing 30 chompy birds. (X/30)
- Chompy Massacre ( 50) – Kill chompy birds. (X/4,000)
- Guardian of the Realm ( 0) – Obtained a collection of unique drops from Slayer monsters located within Asgarnia & Misthalin.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- ninja 22 July 2019 (Update):
- Added a 25%/50%/75%/100% chance to spawn an additional Chompy bird while hunting chompy birds, respectively if Easy/Medium/Hard/Elite Ardougne achievement diaries are completed.
- ninja 18 July 2016 (Update):
- Allowed use of abilities on chompy and jubbly birds.
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- Chompy birds no longer appear to have 1 lifepoint when defeated.
- patch 28 January 2013 (Update):
- Players will now continuously attack Chompy birds and will no longer be told that the bird they were attacking is not their target.
- patch 26 September 2012 (Update):
- Certain messages have been removed while Chompy bird hunting to prevent spamming.
- patch 31 August 2011 (Update):
- Chompy birds now work correctly with the bonecrusher.
- patch 16 February 2010 (Update):
- Corrected the timing when cooking chompy bird meat on a spit.
- patch 16 June 2009 (Update):
- Prevented certain bubbles in the Feldip Hills from blocking Ranged attacks when hunting chompies and jubbly chompies.
- The chompy bird's appearance is similar to that of the extinct dodo.
- The chompy bird's name possibly comes from the Nicaraguan word for Turkey, "Chompipe", pronounced "chom-pea-pay".
- It previously could not be Monster Examined. This might have been because it does not attack the player. However, it is now possible, and states that this monster has a max hit of 8.