Char's training cave
|Char's training cave|
|Release date||11 January 2012 (Update)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Char's training cave is unlocked after the The Firemaker's Curse quest is completed. It requires level 91 Firemaking to start training. Temporary Firemaking boosts do not work. Bring The Book of Char with you.
Location[edit | edit source]
The fastest way to get there is by using the teleport function on the Book of Char, teleporting you right in front of the cave's entrance. The next fastest way is to use the World Gate teleport via the Sixth-Age circuit, which is unlocked after The World Wakes. Another closer teleport location is the Eagles' Peak lodestone, provided you have activated it. It is also possible to use the fairy rings (code:AKQ) and then take the boat near the entrance of the Fishing Colony, or to use the Spirit tree teleport.
Start[edit | edit source]
To start the training you must speak to Char, who is just in the entrance of the cave. The training consists of making the logless fires using a Pitch can, which can be found close to Char, into as many accepted symbols in the gridded area as possible within the 5 minute time limit. The symbols are visible in the Book of Char. There is one symbol, the Zaros symbol, that Char did not note down as it is 'very close to her heart.' When you first make the Zaros symbol however, it will appear in the Book of Char along with the others.
Char will let you "Start" training even if you forget to bring the Book of Char. However, without both the book and a pitch can, you will be unable to light any fires.
Symbols[edit | edit source]
- Concentric squares (do the inner ring first or it will be counted as a square)
- Symbol of Zaros
The symbols can be completed in any order and repeated without penalties. When you are done making a symbol, Char will clear the grid of all fires and you may begin a new pattern.
The orientation of these charts is for a camera facing south, matching The Book of Char's guide entries. These statistics account for the +2 XP when making each fire, fastest times including downtime between patterns(rounded up), and the downtime from running to the tiles after talking to Char(8 seconds).
(with 0:22 left)
(with 0:12 left)
(with 0:07 left)
(with 0:19 left)
|Symbol of Zaros||Breakdown|
(with 0:04 left)
Tips[edit | edit source]
The best way to train here is to make as many spirals as possible during the 5 minutes allotted. It is highly recommended to use the Pitch can from your action bar.
If you don't have enough time to complete the final spiral, you may finish it as a square instead, as it may already be partially completed if you started from the outer end.
This can be made much easier by disabling run and simply walking along each stretch of the spiral pattern while holding an action bar hotkey for the Pitch can, then doing the spiral in reverse each time you complete one to remove all downtime. This achieves 7 spirals within 5 minutes painlessly. This method still results in over 680,000 XP per hour(session downtime considered) and over 715,000 XP per hour with a 5% XP boost.
If done perfectly (within 2 ticks), 7 spirals leave just enough time for a square, resulting in 63,986 XP per session and over 745,000 XP per hour(session downtime considered). 5% XP boost makes this 67,185 XP per session and over 782,000 XP per hour.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
There are four Fire creatures that can be obtained from this activity as a pet. Warming Flame, Glowing Ember, Twisted Firestarter, and Searing Flame. They can be all found wandering around the training cave after the player has completed the activity at least once. The pets may be stored in the menagerie at your house. You can only have one pet at a time. However, you can own 2 of the same pet. If one is in your house, you can go back to the cave and get another of the same pet. If you want a different pet, you can store one type of fire creature and claim another one from the cave.
Additionally, there is chance that the player will receive a tradeable Pitch can (full) which allows the player to create lines of fires with increased speed.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
- Impressing Char ( 10) – Create Char's most treasured symbol in her training cave.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to have more than one of the same orb pet, even if you have one in the menagerie in your house. Char allows you to take another pet of the same kind from the training cave.
- There used to be a glitch where keeping more than one fire creature in your menagerie would cause other pets withdrawn from it to run away when dropped. This has been fixed.
- The training cave originally gave 1/10 of the experience intended. This was fixed within a day of release.
- The Twisted Firestarter is a possible reference to the film 'Firestarter' and almost definitely a reference to the song 'Firestarter' by 'The Prodigy', the main line being 'I'm a Firestarter, Twisted Firestarter'.
- Experience gained from Char's training cave will not count towards the growth progress of a Harmony pillar attuned to the firemaking skill.
- On 16 April 2018 the minigame was updated. Changes included reducing the time per session to 5 minutes and the addition of the Pitch can, which can be used outside of the minigame to increase the speed of line firemaking and bonfire firemaking.
|Related to the Return of Zaros quest series|