Chaos Elemental Letter 14
This time, the Chaos Elemental answers to a letter sent in by Catdude61. His original text was:
His text must be read from bottom to top, right to left and is translated as follows (spelling errors corrected for clarity):
Next the Chaos Elemental replied:
This is deciphered into a new text using the following rules:
- The title is read the same as the letter from Catdude61, completely from right to left.
- The first word in each line follows the same rule as the original letter, read from the right to the left.
- In the first line, only words must be read from the right to the left (word order is left to right). Note that the positioning of spaces has been altered.
- For the second line, every letter has been replaced by the opposite letter in the order of the alphabet. ( A = Z, B = Y, C = X, D = W, etc.)
- In the third line, the letters in the words shift place by one in the alphabet, each next letter a place more. The first letter is correct, the second letter needs to be shifted once, the third letter twice, and so on.
- The fourth and fifth line are read from right to left again.
- The signature follows the same rule as line 3.
Then it says:
Updates from Letter 14[edit | edit source]
- "From beneath you, it devours. Jungle, desert, ice. Defeating it shall reward many kinds of adventurers." (Strykewyrms)
- "The plAnets aRe set to aligN; kith anD kin will fight. More than one judGe is fAted to die thiS yeaR howevEr." The capital letters, when unscrambled, spell "grandmaster", and the line hints at the syzygy, Kethsi, and the Dragonkin, all part of the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest. (Ritual of the Mahjarrat)
- "The pieces are black and white; like good mysteries they come in fours. But the game is void; there are no Grandmasters here. A temple may sit between the pieces." (Quiet Before the Swarm)
Other notes from Letter 14[edit | edit source]
- "A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!" is a famous palindrome describing the Panama Canal, which joins the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific through the middle of the Americas. This was either a joke by Jagex or a hint that some of the Chaos Elemental's letter should be read backwards. It may also be a reference to the canal and barge being built in the Digsite.