|Release||8 June 2015 (Update)|
|Destroy||You will not be refunded if you destroy this item.|
|On death||Always kept|
|Deploy this to start a skilling or combat competition.|
|Exchange||99,308 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Challenge gems are items that can be bought from War in packs of 1, 3 and 6 for 10, 25 and 45 RuneCoins respectively. They can be purchased by talking to War and asking "Can you sell me some Challenge Gems?" They could also be bought in the Fun Item Shop and found whilst training or killing Clawdia at the Summer Beach Party.
They allow players to start their own challenges. Winning 10, 25 and 100 challenges gives the titles: [Name] the Victor, [Name] the MVP and [Name] the Real MVP while losing 10, 25, and 100 challenges gives: [Name] the Loser, [Name] the Struggle and [Name] the Real Struggle. Taking part in 10 challenges gives [Name] the Contender title. Participating in a challenge gives a challenge shard to keep track of the score.
If buying the gems solely for titles, it would take 200 gems to obtain them all, at a cost of 19,861,600 coins.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
No more than one challenge gem may be placed within 10 squares of another gem or a bank. Challenge gems may not be placed in some areas, such as the Fight Kiln. A player can start a challenge gem at any time by choosing the deploy option. A 4-pin entry code may also be specified to restrict the players who are allowed to enter the challenge.
Up to 50 players can enter a challenge gem competition. While the competition is ongoing, players rank 1st, 2nd, and 3rd have their rank visible above their head. The score is calculated by experience obtained multiplied by 10. This does not take account bonus experience.
After the competition ends, if the same player wishes to start a new challenge, they must wait for the previous challenge gem to despawn.
Players who have the f2p trade limit are not able to participate in a challenge gem competition even if the competition has no entrance fee (or prize).
Skilling competiton[edit | edit source]
For the skilling competition, you're allowed to choose the amount of time for the competition (between 5 and 30 minutes in intervals of 5), the skill (must be a skill as there is no option for overall XP), and the entrance fee (between 0 coins (just for fun) and 1,000,000 coins)) and the delay time (between 1 and 5 minutes) until the competition automatically starts.
Players who enter the competition earn points based on the base XP they gain (so bonus XP does not give any advantage).
Combat competition[edit | edit source]
For the combat competition, one may select the amount of time for the competition (between 5 and 30 minutes in intervals of 5), the enemy combat level range (0 to 10,000), the player combat level (3 to 138), the entrance fee (between 0 coins (just for fun) and 1,000,000 coins) and the delay time (between 1 and 5 minutes) until the competition automatically starts. Additionally, the combat may also be limited to PVP only and/or wilderness areas only.
Damage mechanics[edit | edit source]
The following damage counts towards a challenge gem:
- Crackling, aftershock
- Normal damage from abilities + bleeds + autos
- Reflected damage (DTB, recoil, deflect prayer, armour spikes etc.)
- Blight damage from Eldritch crossbow
The following damage does **not** count towards a challenge gem:
- Familiar damage (ripper passive counts, but not its attacks)
- Sign / portent of death
- Wrath + retribution
- Portents of degradation
Criticism[edit | edit source]
Upon release, the challenge gem received considerable amount of complaints due to the fact that "The MVP" and "The Real MVP" were a golden colour - like those won by finishing first in the seasonal hiscores. Due to this, on 15 June 2015 the colours of the titles were changed to mustard yellow. In a hidden update on 14 July 2015, their original colour was restored. The golden colour was reverted back to a pale green colour during the 20 July 2015 update.
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 26 April 2021 (Update):
- patch 27 April 2020 (Update):
- patch 31 May 2016 (Update):
- You can no longer place challenge gems close to each other by placing them at the same time.
- patch 29 June 2015 (Update):
- Only direct damage now counts towards combat challenges set up via a challenge gem.
- patch 15 June 2015 (Update):
- Due to player feedback, we have slightly changed the colour of the winner's challenge gem titles.
- Players can no longer place challenge gems so close to another challenge gem.
- Finishing a challenge gem competition will no longer state 'nobody scored any points'.
- A typo on the information panel for challenge gems has been fixed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This item does not appear in any Quick Chat phrases for buying them, even though they appear in the Grand Exchange.