Castaways are non-player characters that can be found in the Arc by finding a message in a bottle and using the treasure map contained in the bottle to locate the castaway. Progress of which castaways the player has found can be seen in the Arc Journal. Each castaway will award the player a taijitu after being talked to for the first time. Finding all the castaways unlocks the [Name] the Castaway title.
Once a message in a bottle is found and when a player has walked near its spawn location when it was visible it will always be visible, unless the message in the bottle or its treasure map is in the player's bank or inventory. The castaways are marked as found in the Arc Journal after actually interacting with them on their islands.
Different bottles are available on different days, with the available bottles changing at daily reset (00:00 UTC) and the bottles appear on the same day for everyone. Each bottle has a unique cycle, becoming visible once every few days. The cycle is a cycle of one day for the first bottle, two days for the second bottle, three days for third bottle, etc.
Some messages in a bottle are not possible to obtain without additional requirements:
- Completion of the Spiritual Enlightenment miniquest is required to access the spirit realm of Aminishi (requiring 90 Slayer)
- 90 Divination is required to access all three islands on The Islands That Once Were Turtles
- 100 Ancestral energy is required to charge the 2nd and 3rd Tortle portals on The Islands That Once Were Turtles
Read the above for detailed information as to why bottles can appear on other days.
|Castaway||Island||Message||Treasure map||Bottle location||Visibility|
|Milky Joel||Milky Bay||Found on the south-east end of the beach in Waiko.||This message in a bottle is currently visible. (wrong?)|
|One-Eyed Willy||The Goon Docks||Found at the edge of the water on the southern beach of Whale's Maw, east of the dock and west of The Whaler.||This message in a bottle was last visible 1 day ago on 6 June. It will be visible again in 1 day on 8 June. (wrong?)|
|Manti Claws||Christmas Island||Found within the Spirit Realm of Aminishi on the western beach, below where the Aminishi moai resides before being transplanted during the Head of the Family miniquest.||This message in a bottle is currently visible. (wrong?)|
|Swabbie Steve||The Island Which May or May Not Have Monkeys on It||Found on Aminishi. It is located on the south-east beach and south of the campfire||This message in a bottle was last visible 3 days ago on 4 June. It will be visible again in 1 day on 8 June. (wrong?)|
|TzHaar-Ga'al-Knot||Springbreak Island||Found on the north-west beach of Waiko, north-west of Rosie.||This message in a bottle is currently visible. (wrong?)|
|The Cannonballs||Cannonball Run||Found on the southern shore of Cyclosis, south-east of the positive energy wisp.||This message in a bottle was last visible 3 days ago on 4 June. It will be visible again in 3 days on 10 June. (wrong?)|
|Azalea Oakheart||Eisetes Cretor||Found on the northern shore of the first island in The Islands That Once Were Turtles network, north of the northern mushroom cluster.||This message in a bottle was last visible 4 days ago on 3 June. It will be visible again in 3 days on 10 June. (wrong?)|
|Harley||The Hamlet||Found on the southern shore of the second island in The Islands That Once Were Turtles network, by the tortle portal to the third island.||This message in a bottle was last visible 3 days ago on 4 June. It will be visible again in 5 days on 12 June. (wrong?)|
|Squick||Quis-land||Found on the west side of the third island in The Islands That Once Were Turtles, semi-hidden underneath the south-western rocks, western side.||This message in a bottle was last visible 6 days ago on 1 June. It will be visible again in 3 days on 10 June. (wrong?)|
|Salmon Ella||Agar Atoll||Found next to the southern dock exit on Goshima.||This message in a bottle was last visible 5 days ago on 2 June. It will be visible again in 5 days on 12 June. (wrong?)|
- It is possible for every castaways' message to sync, all becoming visible on the same day, once every 2,520 days. The next date this will occur is 9 November 2022, Runedate 7560.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Rowley's Twitter account. 18 November 2016. Mod Rowley: "You don't need to have picked it up, merely walked near enough to where it spawns. If that, it appears and stays."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Rowley's Twitter account. 15 November 2016. Mod Rowley: "The 24-hr period of time in which they can be discovered is the same for everyone, yes. based on UTC/game time."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 16 November 2016. Mod Orion: "It would be wrong of me to not resolve your query by telling you that you're not incorrect."
|Message in a bottle|