|Release date||24 July 2006 (Update)|
|Quest NPC||Lunar Diplomacy|
|Examine||Parrot on shoulder... hook for a hand... yup, definitely a pirate.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
He started out his piratical career as a cabin boy, before becoming a captain at some point. His last ship got wrecked in a storm. He and a few of his crew fled, leaving the ship and rest of the crew to crash, though a few pirates survived and set up a hideout at the site. He considered the loss a tragedy, as he ended up losing a lot of money. He and his surviving crew stole the Lady Zay from the Ship Yard in Karamja. They had to remodel the ship for human rather than gnome habitation.
He likes the Moon Clan people, considering them hospitable and worthwhile trading partners despite their reputation for stranger distrust. He still considers them strange and secretive, especially after seeing Berty. Despite this, he is fully aware of their power and just how dangerous they can be.
During the feast that was held for the crew, they got drunk. One of the Moon Clan convinced the Cabin Boy to place several jinxes on the ship, rendering the Lady Zay capable of only travelling in circles. He promised a stowaway adventurer safe passage to Lunar Isle in exchange for their help.
At some point, he and his crew captured a suqah, though nobody can recall how or when.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During Lunar Diplomacy, the player constantly refers to him as Captain Renney.
- His examine is a reference to the stereotypical pirate image of keeping a parrot as a pet, popularised by Long John Silver, and having a hook for a hand, popularised by Captain Hook.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ 'Bird's-Eye' Jack, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "Yet I have known him for over 20 years and he has never asked to be referred to as anything except Captain Bentley."
- ^ Captain Bentley, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "Oh he DID, did he? (sigh) I sometimes regret ever allowing that vagabond to join the crew. He has a very bad work ethic, and I have to say his attitude can be very confrontational."
- ^ Captain Bentley, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "Pesky kid. Ah, but I remember when I was a cabin boy. Many years ago, I started off as..."
- ^ Captain Bentley, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "Well, it just wasn't sturdy enough! I was on a perfectly routine raiding expedition to the east of here, when we ran into a squall, that pushed us towards the rocky shore. A few select men and myself managed to escape with our lives intact on a small row boat, but the rest of my crew were washed ashore as the ship was wrecked on those jagged rocks. Ah yes, it was a tragedy... To lose such a fine ship in such an insulting manner..."
- ^ Captain Bentley, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "Actually, the last I had heard quite a few of them had survived, and had set up a little hideaway next to the remains of the shipwreck."
- ^ Captain Bentley, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "Who? Oh. Yes. The crew. Yes, it was a tragedy. I'd paid them in advance you know, I'll never see that money again!"
- ^ Captain Bentley, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "es, she's named the Lady Zay, and I may say, is one of the finest ships to ever sail the seas! It was a steal from the Karamjan shipyards. And when I say it was a steal, I mean to say that myself and some of the lads broke in and stole it one night."
- ^ Captain Bentley, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "I don't know who they were building these warships for, but whoever it was seemed to be a little on the short side. We had to do a little remodelling of the doors and rooms so that we didn't have to crouch around everywhere, but I've finally got here just how I want her, and we have enough cannons down below decks to bombard a small town I'd wager!"
- ^ Captain Bentley, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "The Moon Clan? Oh, very fine people. Very hospitable. We had heard that they are very wary of strangers, and dislike people just showing up on their island, but when we sent a landing party aboard they all seemed more than happy to see us. Well, they even threw a big festival in our honour! Anyway, they had a large supply of items that we felt we could use on the high seas, so we made a few trades with them, and were on our way."
- ^ a b Captain Bentley, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "Yes, they might have been a little secretive about that strange temple, and the old lodge of their in town, and I must say they certainly have the strangest house I have ever seen in my life in their little village, but it was a pleasant trip all round, and I look forward to trading there again in the future. After all, it's not everywhere that a pirate captain and his crew can rest ashore without having to worry about the authorities catching them, is it?"
- ^ Captain Bentley, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "I'm not kidding, they are a very dangerous people, and it would NOT be wise for you to travel there without your Seal Of Passage marking you as a diplomat."
- ^ Player character, "Lunar Diplomacy", RuneScape. "Oh, absolutely. Me and him go way back. Waaaaaay back. We're like... apples and custard. Everybody says so. Yup, me and Captain Renney, we're a team."
|Part 5 of the Fremennik quest series|