A Canoe is a boat that can be made to access faster transportation on the River Lum. This is the only boat that a player can design. They require the Woodcutting skill. At every canoe station there is an NPC to teach you how to make a canoe.
How to make canoes[edit | edit source]
Take a hatchet to a canoe station at one of the below stations (excluding Wilderness) and then find a canoe tree. Hatchets on the tool belt can also be used. If you do not have a hatchet, the NPC will now lend you one, but the speed of cutting is quite slow. These trees can be found at canoe stations, and appear larger and leafless compared to regular trees. These stations are located in the following places.
- Lumbridge: On the west side of the river to the east of the furnace. Barfy Bill is at this canoe station. The coding of the canoes was re-worked (through a patch) on the 12 October 2010. This resulted in the Lumbridge canoeing station moving from being on the east side of the river a bit south of the house where goblins respawn, to where it currently is.
- Champions' Guild: On the east side of the river west of the wheat field. Tarquin is at this canoe station.
- Barbarian Village: South of the eastern bridge on the east side of the river. Sigurd is at this canoe station.
- Edgeville: On the east side of the river, over the bridge and near the Grand Exchange shortcut tunnel. Hari is at this canoe station.
- Wilderness Pond: At level 35 Wilderness south of the moss giants and the herb patch. Players cannot return by canoe from this station, as there is no canoe tree. You cannot teleport from here, due to its depth in the wilderness. To return, you must run south around or through the Wilderness Volcano (you may run into aggressive hellhounds) until reaching level 20 when you can teleport out. There is a Wilderness obelisk to the west, which can be activated to randomly teleport you to another obelisk which may be in higher or lower Wilderness levels. Upon choosing this destination, you will be given the Wilderness warning message. Beware of player killers when using canoes to enter the Wilderness.
When the player has found a canoe tree at one of these stations they must cut the tree down. The player has to click on the fallen tree and select what type of canoe they want to make. When they have made the canoe they want, they can click on the canoe to push it in the river. When in the river, the player can click on the canoe and select where they want to go. You cannot take a canoe if you have a familiar.
Canoes can only go to a certain number of stations away, before sinking. (Note that this only happens when players exit a canoe, and not while they are sitting in it.) When you have travelled to a station, 'A Sinking Canoe' appears and when examined, it will say, "Glug, glug, glug."
Higher level canoes can go farther than lower level canoes. It is recommended that players make the highest level canoe they can make, as this grants more Woodcutting experience.
Previously, an animation was used, but it has since been removed. When going to most locations, grassy shores with bullrushes will be seen. While going to the Wilderness pond, the cut scene will show the canoe paddle into a cave.
Paddles were originally needed to use canoes, but this idea was later scrapped. The player did appear to use a paddle in the canoe animation before it was updated, and "Paddle" still appeared as an item in Quickchat after. Some NPCs near canoe stations are still holding one.
Canoe types[edit | edit source]
|Log||12||30||It can travel to one station away from where the player made it. It cannot enter the wilderness.|
|Dugout||27||60||It can travel up to two stations away from where the player made it. It cannot enter the wilderness.|
|Stable dugout||42||90||It can travel to any station except the wilderness.|
|Waka||57||150||It can travel to every station. Because the Waka canoe is the only canoe that can travel into the Wilderness, it is useful for accessing certain Treasure Trail and warbands locations.|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 2 October 2017 (Update):
- The canoe interface has been updated to be more consistent with other menus within the game.
- patch 26 August 2014 (Update):
- The click area on the Wilderness canoe station interface has been corrected to prevent players getting lured to the non-existent "Treasure Island".
- patch 19 April 2011 (Update):
- Transportation icons now appear on the world map for canoes on free worlds.
- The level-up messages referring to canoes no longer states that they're members-only.
- patch 12 April 2011 (Update):
- Canoes are no longer listed as members-only in the skill advance guide.
- patch 9 November 2010 (Update):
- Chopping a tree to build a canoe now uses a more appropriate animation.
- patch 9 November 2009 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- After making a canoe, when you slide the canoe into a river, it makes an old splashing sound, prior to a sound update.
- Although the quest Gunnar's Ground changed the name of Barbarian Village to said title, the canoeing map doesn't reflect this change.
- When you borrowed a hatchet from an instructor to use to make a canoe, it appeared to be an iron hatchet. But, when returned to the instructor, it became a bronze hatchet. This has been fixed.
- A Waka is a kind of Māori watercraft, similar to a Canoe.
- The log canoe was created by accident during a game of Smack The Tree.