|Release date||29 June 2004 (Update)|
|Points of interest|
|No. of banks||1|
|No. of altars||0|
|No. of small obelisks||1|
|Leader||Malak on behalf of Lord Drakan|
|Infobox • Talk page|
History[edit | edit source]
In the Second Age, the area around what is now Canifis was part of the god Zaros's empire and it was where the Zarosian fortress Kharyrll once stood. The kingdom to the south of it was known as Hallowvale with its capital city ruled by the Icyene.
As part of the Zarosian Extermination, Kharyrll was destroyed during the God Wars, but it is unknown whether Lord Drakan was responsible for this when he invaded Hallowvale with an army of vampyres. Whichever the case, the area would be part of Morytania from that point onward.
In the year 23 of the Fifth Age, a group of werewolves built a village named Canifis at the place where Kharyrll once stood, where they live today. Like all subjects in Morytania, they are forced to pay blood tithes to the vampyres, but the vampyres agree to take captured humans instead.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
Canifis may be accessed after completing the Priest in Peril quest or defeating the ghoul and passing through the holy barrier in the basement of Paterdomus for the first time. After doing so, players may travel to Canifis through any of the following methods:
- Lodestone just north-east of Canifis.
- The Ancient Magicks spell Kharyrll Teleport.
- Focussing one of the portals in the Portal Chamber of their house to Canifis (Kharyrll).
- Fairy Ring code CKS.
- After completing Ghosts Ahoy, using the ectophial to teleport to the ectofuntus. This gives a moderately-close teleport that is free and unlimited. If lost, one may obtain a replacement from Velorina.
- After completing In Search of the Myreque, taking the shortcut to Mort'ton down a ladder south of the Hair of the Dog inn that leads to the north-east part of the Mort Myre Swamp.
- Taking the Swamp Boat between The Hollows and Mort'ton. This cuts out around half the distance.
- Using a ring of slaying to teleport to the Slayer Tower just north-west of Canifis.
Notable features in Canifis[edit | edit source]
Bank[edit | edit source]
There is a bank in eastern Canifis. A notable feature about the bank is that there is a searchable crate in there, and if searched it can bear the message 'You search the crate but find nothing.' or 'You don't find anything interesting.' and can sometimes spawn a rat, spider, or chicken (the chicken "squawk"s and lays eggs while doing so). It is also known that any NPCs in the bank (excluding bankers) attack you when you search the crate.
Mazchna[edit | edit source]
Clothes shop[edit | edit source]
The clothes shop, Barker's Haberdashery, is in the northern part of the city. All items cost 650 coins each, except for the capes, which cost only 20 coins each. Coloured gloves and capes are tradeable to free-to-play players, but all other items are members only.
Tannery[edit | edit source]
Sbott the tanner will tan cow hides or dragon hides for you. This is a great place for quick tanning, but because you are a human and he is a werewolf, and getting the supplies is "dangerous", he will charge more coins per cow/dragon hide.
Taxidermist[edit | edit source]
Shop[edit | edit source]
The shop is more expensive than most other general stores due to the dangers of getting the items. It sells basic items, but unlike most other general stores, it also sells needles and thread. It is owned by Fidelio.
Raw meat[edit | edit source]
The raw meat shop lies to the north of the bank. It sells various raw meats and raw fish, up to raw sharks, but those can only be supplied by players.
Inn[edit | edit source]
Notable features near Canifis[edit | edit source]
- A mushroom patch is used in the Farming skill to grow bittercap and morchella mushrooms, and is located just west of Canifis.
- Paterdomus is the temple just west of Canifis, and is the location of the closest altar.
- The Slayer Tower is inhabited by monsters that players may find useful in training Slayer, and is located just north-west of Canifis
- Mort Myre Swamp is plagued by ghasts, and leads to Mort'ton - which lies south of Canifis
- Fenkenstrain's Castle is home to Dr Fenkenstrain, and is involved in quests such as Creature of Fenkenstrain - it is located north-east of Canifis
- The Werewolf Skullball activity (as well as the werewolf agility course) is located east of the village
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
Attackable characters[edit | edit source]
The men and women who inhabit Canifis are normally rather rude to any player who speaks to them. However, they are much more polite to any player who is wearing the Ring of Charos.
They are also attackable, though they are much more dangerous than they initially appear. In human form their combat level is only 28, but if attacked they turn into level 63 werewolves. Players can only prevent this transformation by attacking them with a wolfbane dagger which is a reward for the completion of Priest in Peril quest. or a Sunspear (melee) (or its magic or ranged variants) which is a reward from River of Blood.
The attackable inhabitants are:
Other notable characters[edit | edit source]
Other non-player characters found in Canifis include:
Vanstrom Klause, one of the brutal henchmen of Lord Drakan and member of the Vyrewatch who rule Morytania.
Malak, a vampyre lord whom oversees Canifis on behalf of Lord Drakan. He can be found in the bar.
Ulizius, who guards the gate into Mort Myre Swamp.
Music[edit | edit source]
The following music tracks are used in Canifis:
Quests[edit | edit source]
The following quests are started or are involved in Canifis:
- In Search of the Myreque
- In Aid of the Myreque
- Creature of Fenkenstrain
- Desert Treasure (involved in Canifis)
- Wanted! (involved in Canifis)
- The Great Brain Robbery (involved in Canifis)
- Garden of Tranquillity (farming patch in Canifis)
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 25 April 2016 (Update):
- Fixed the spelling of "Canifis" on an examine message for the sign outside the bank.
- patch 18 April 2016 (Update):
- Players can no longer remove the stairs into the Canifis bank.
- Tables in the Canifis pub no longer float.
- There is no more 'sunshine' on the Canifis building roofs with dynamic lighting turned on.
- patch 12 January 2015 (Update):
- Bankers in Canifis will now face players all the time, rather than just when spoken to.
- ninja 17 November 2014 (Update):
- Villagers in Canifis now have a smoother transition into werewolves, as they will not interrupt combat.
- patch 1 November 2014 (Update):
- A farming icon has been added to the world and minimap for the Canifis mushroom patch.
- patch 28 September 2011 (Update):
- Some swamp plants have been removed south of the pub in Canifis to make access between the trapdoor and bank easier.
- patch 21 July 2009 (Update):
- The wall surroundings under the pub in Canifis have changed back to a more appropriate colour.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the centre of the village, there is a skeleton called Kenny hanging from a set of gallows.
- The name of the town most likely stems from the Latin word "Canis," which means "dog." This is evidenced by a somewhat conspicuous dog theme, with the names of some of the shopkeepers including Sbott (difficult to say without saying "Spot"), Barker, Roavar, and Rufus.
- Canifis appears to be based on a small Slavic village, with villagers having names like Boris, Yuri, and Svetlana.