Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza
|Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza|
|Release date||14 April 2014 (Update)|
|Skills involved||Farming, Herblore, Mining, Combat|
|In spotlight rotation||Yes|
|Next spotlight||1 May (wrong?)|
|Music unlocked||Monkey Misadventures|
|Developers||Anthony W, Ian H|
|Infobox • Talk page|
|Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza (event)|
|Start date||14 April 2014 (Update)|
|End date||28 April 2014 (Update)|
|Location||Saradomin's camp by the Lumbridge Crater.|
|Outcome||Brassica Prime is victorious, beating both Marimbo and the Godless.|
|Preceded by||Tribute to Guthix|
|Succeeded by||Easter Eggs-periments|
|Head developer||Anthony W, Ian H|
|Farmers of Brassica, cabbage cauldrons, humans||Monkeys, gorillas, monkey minions, gorilla guards, humans|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza is a free-to-play minigame that takes the form of a game similar to British bulldog, which features players avoiding gorillas and other various dangers while collecting cabbages.
The minigame originally featured as the 2014 spring event, in which the god of the cabbages, Brassica Prime, and the goddess of the monkeys, Marimbo, had a contest on the remains of Saradomin's camp from the Battle of Lumbridge. Holstein of The Godless also made an appearance as a third faction in the event, seeking to disrupt the contest. Players were able to side with their chosen faction in order to increase their score while they gained renown in the minigame, making it similar to a world event although much more lighthearted. After two weeks, Brassica Prime was ultimately victorious. The minigame remained accessible in its Lumbridge location for a few years after the event but was later moved to its current location in the Gamers' Grotto.
Location[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
In year 1 of the Sixth Age, Saradomin and Zamorak returned to Gielinor and participated in the Battle of Lumbridge, the Mahjarrat Sliske announced his contest between the gods for the Stone of Jas, and Armadyl killed Bandos during a large battle by Falador.
The gods Brassica Prime and Marimbo saw these fights and decided that they wanted to have one too, and some time later, Marimbo plummeted out of the sky near a farm by Lumbridge, with Brassica Prime in her hand, startling a nearby farmer Brassica Prime then claimed that the farmer's "devotion to his people had been noted", and that he would be "blessed over all other non-cabbages". Marimbo then claimed that he looked enough like one of her followers too, and she picked him up and brought him to Saradomin's old camp by the Lumbridge Crater in order to serve as a priest and quartermaster for their battle.
Brassica and Marimbo then chanted something, and Saradomin's old plinth sank into the ground, opening up a doorway to a dungeon that would serve as their "battleground", although their contest resembled more a game than an actual battle. Marimbo merely saw the contest as a party, and Brassica as a popularity contest, although he claimed to have an ulterior motive: To settle the age old question, which is more delicious: bananas or cabbages. They then tasked their new quartermaster with recruiting and handing out rewards to humans who wished to participate.
Kara-Meir and Holstein of The Godless soon arrived to attempt to stop this "battle between the gods", and Kara made a speech to the two gods, proclaiming that all races would soon be free of their influence. The two gods merely laughed at her, calling her names, while Brassica pelted her with cabbages and Marimbo with feces. Kara-Meir then left to get cleaned up, leaving Holstein behind in her stead to overlook and attempt to disrupt the contest, although Brassica Prime merely believed him to be a poor naked homeless person, and Marimbo kept flirting with him.
After two weeks, Brassica Prime emerged victorious, with Marimbo coming in second place and the Godless in last. Brassica, Marimbo and Holstein then left Lumbridge, abandoning their camps and leaving the quartermaster behind.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The minigame starts once enough people have entered the barrier in the middle of the area. Note that players cannot bring/wear any items or have a follower out, and prayers and Surge cannot be used within the arena. Renown can also be used to purchase rewards from the quartermaster.
In each round, players have 1 minute and 10 seconds to reach the other side of the maze in the Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza arena. They must avoid the hazards and gain as many points as they can while doing so. If all the players have reached the other side, the round's timer will be reduced to 11 seconds to save time. Any players not behind the current safe zone will be turned into gorilla guards.
The game ends when all players have been turned into gorillas, or when all 10 rounds are passed.
Gathering trophies[edit | edit source]
Players may gather cabbage trophies by mining cabbage ore veins, harvesting cabbage leaf patches and wishing-cabbage bushes, or killing monkey minions. Trophies award two points each, as well as healing players for 10% of their maximum life points. If multiple players are collecting from the same cabbage resource at the same time, all will receive a trophy and be healed.
Monkey minions work the same way, except that it will drop a trophy for anyone who assisted in killing one, and the trophy is dropped on the ground instead of being automatically given. Gorilla guards give four trophies instead, but because of their massive health pool, it is not recommended to kill them.
Becoming a gorilla[edit | edit source]
Players turn into a gorilla guard when they fail to reach the safe zone within the time limit, or if they die within the arena. As a gorilla, players can kill other players and set traps in gathering nodes. Each successful kill is worth 2 points for all gorilla players, each trap set is worth 2 points for the player who sets the trap, and each trap triggered is worth one point for the player who sets the trap. Note that only one trap can be set per round.
Gorilla players cannot gather cabbages, and cannot be harmed by the jets of fire and cabbage cauldrons. They are also not allowed within the safe zones in the arena. Gorillas can still obtain cabbage trophies worth 2 points that non-gorilla players forgot to pick up. When each round ends, all player gorillas are scattered throughout the arena for gameplay purposes. Gorillas also consume more run energy than a player and cannot rest.
Hazards[edit | edit source]
There are several hazards in the maze:
- Gorilla guards: There are a few initially and players who die by any means (by another gorilla, AI or player, cabbage cauldrons, fire jets, monkey minions) turn into gorilla guards.
- Monkey minions: These are weak and non-aggressive, but still deal damage. There are always monkey minions in each round, and they take more damage from player attacks.
- Jets of fire: These appear randomly off and on. A smaller, harmless jet appears as a warning before the actual jet appears. These are the most deadly obstacles as they can deal up to 2000 damage.
- Cabbage Cauldron: These cauldrons should be avoided as they launch cabbages at the player at very fast speeds, dealing up to 800 Ranged damage.
- Wooden barricade: The walls cannot be passed. Players have to find alternative routes.
Scoring[edit | edit source]
Scoring in the minigame is as follows:
- 2 points each from cabbage trophies, setting traps as a gorilla, or if a gorilla kills a player (where all gorilla players get 2 points)
- Incremental number of points based on the number of rounds survived. So if a player survived round 9, they will gain 9 points. Gorilla players do not get this bonus.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
There are passive and active abilities which both players and gorillas can use to gain the upper hand on their enemies. Players can have 1 passive ability and 2 active abilities during the minigame. Abilities can be changed at will and purchased by talking to the Quartermaster.
On day 4 (phase 2), 4 new abilities were added costing 415 renown each. On day 11 (phase 4), 3 new abilities were added, costing 550 renown each.
- Passive abilities
|Iron Hide||Free||1||Take less damage from all sources.|
|Prey on the Weak||Free||1||Deal more damage to monkey guards.|
|Quick Hands||Free||1||Gather resources in the arena more quickly.|
|Gorilla Dash||275||1||While in gorilla form, you will be able to sprint 30% more often.|
|Health Benefits||415||2||Health restored by gathering trophies is increased by 50%.|
|Riches||550||4||Score is increased by 10% at the end of a round.|
- Active abilities
3 uses per game.
|3 times per round, you can pass through walls of fire without taking damage for 5 seconds.|
|Stun Guard||Free||1||120 seconds||Once every 2 minutes, stun a gorilla guard for 5 seconds.|
Requires a gorilla or monkey nearby.
|Stun Competitor||275||1||180 seconds||Once every 3 minutes, stun another player for 4 seconds.|
Requires another competitor nearby.
|Clear Head||275||1||60 seconds.
|Break out of a stun caused by another player.|
|Light Fingers||415||2||2 uses per game.||Twice per round, you can steal a trophy from a target player.|
Requires another competitor nearby. Cannot be used in gorilla form.
|Giant Leap||415||2||60 seconds.
|Once per minute, leap forward 6 tiles.|
|Misdirection||415||2||2 uses per game.||Twice per round, direct a gorilla guard to attack a target player.|
Requires another competitor nearby.
|Runeless Telegrab||550||4||120 seconds.
|Once per two minutes, gather from a distance for 20 seconds or until you gather a trophy.|
|Quick Kill-ection||550||4||2 uses per game.
|The next monkey minion you attack will be killed immediately, or the next node you attempt to gather from will be instant. It does not instantly kill gorilla guards.|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If a player dies and turns into a gorilla, they can exit to lobby and reenter the same instanced world and turn back to human and play again as a survivor, continuing in the same game they lobbied out of. However, they will lose all score gained. Players should only do this when they die near the start of the game when they have a low score. However, there is a chance their instance world will become full, which is more likely when this minigame is on spotlight, and must start a new game again in another instanced world.
- Bonfire boosts and Font of Life can be used to raise a players maximum life points, and also allowing for greater healing from nodes.
- As survivors, always keep an eye on the timer and not get caught up gathering nodes or killing monkey minions.
- Look far ahead of the map, be attentive to any hazards and walls, and carefully plan how to run across it.
- The west and east sides of the arena are generally the safest locations for running because there is one less side for gorilla guards to attack you from and gorilla players may not notice you there. In addition, cabbage cauldrons do not spawn on the west or east sides. However, keep in mind that gathering nodes do not spawn either.
- On the west side, if you run next to the pillars you can trap any gorilla guards following you.
- It is much easier to survive and gain lots of renown sticking together as a group if the players do not use abilities to undermine one another. Damage from gorilla guards is spread across players. If at least one player has the Quick Hands ability, all other players without it that are also gathering from the same node as the player with it will also gather that node quicker than normal. In a group players can kill monkey minions much faster than alone. A player needs to deal some damage to it to be eligible for a cabbage trophy from it.
- If there is a monkey minion and a resource at the same location, survivors can hit the monkey and immediately click to gather the resource once, and hit the monkey again, and repeat. This method will reduce the amount of time doing both of these activities.
- Surviving players can lure monkey minions that are positioned in the squares next to the barriers into the barriers to kill them safely. They will need to step out of the barrier to collect the cabbage trophy. Do not do so if the timer is close to zero or a gorilla guard is next to it. Wait for the next round to start to collect it safely.
- If a player gorilla is camping survivors at the barrier, survivors can run east and west inside the barrier to get the gorilla players to run out of run energy then run out of the barrier safely.
- As a gorilla guard, plant a trap and run away from it to increase your chances of tricking players to set off the trap. Players will not gather nodes that are next to a gorilla guard.
- Giant Leap can be an alternative to Flameproof since it can be used to safely cross fire walls and it has a cooldown instead of having three limited uses. Giant Leap can also be used to minimise damage taken from cabbage cauldrons by leaping across them.
- It is possible to rest in the safe zones to help regain lost health.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
By competing in the minigame, players score renown based on the score points at the end of the game. The first 600 renown earned each day is doubled. Free players only earn renown at 66% of the normal rate. Renown can be exchanged for rewards at the Quartermaster. These include abilities which help during the minigame, bonus experience, helpful items for slayer and farming, and some cosmetic rewards only available during the event. Players can have a maximum of 4,000 renown at a time.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Abilities only need to be unlocked once, and provide benefits while playing the minigame. See the Abilities section for more information.
Skilling[edit | edit source]
These rewards provide useful benefits outside of the minigame.
|Bonus XP - Mining||1 (minimum spending; incorrectly labelled as 20 in-game)||
template = Calculator:Template/Other/Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza BonusXp form = CalcForm result = CalcResult param = Skill||Mining|select|Mining,Farming,Slayer param = Level||99|int|1-99 param = points|Renown points|1|int|1-
The calculator failed to load
Please submit the form
|Bonus XP - Farming|
|Bonus XP - Slayer|
|Seedicide||2,200||Changes dropped seeds to Farming XP in a similar fashion to a Herbicide. Has unlimited uses.|
|Slayer VIP ticket||30||Gives the player a choice of two possible creatures to be assigned when they seek a new task, instead of just one. A ticket will be consumed if the second choice is accepted.|
|Patch bomb||30||Instantly harvests a fully-grown farming patch and turns the produce into notes|
|Farmer's outfit||800||Gives one unowned piece of the outfit|
Holiday rewards[edit | edit source]
These rewards were only available during the spring event contest between Marimbo and Brassica Prime. As the event is over, these rewards are no longer available.
|Brassican cloak||1,100 Renown||Players had to purchase the cape belonging to their own faction before being able to buy the others.|
|Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza emote||Survive 40 rounds||By surviving 40 (non-consecutive) rounds of the event as a human, this emote was unlocked. This did not need to be purchased with renown. The emote is different depending on faction. Brassicans kick a monkey, Marimbans kick a cabbage, and followers of the Godless kick either a monkey or a cabbage. The previous Easter emotes Bunny-hop, Around the World in Eggty Days, and Invoke Spring were unlocked at the same time. This emote was also unlocked during all subsequent Easter events.|
Event statistics[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 16 April 2018 (Update):
- The bank chest at the Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza minigame in Grotto cave will now regenerate your health.
- patch 15 April 2019 (Update):
- Prevented transmogs being used in Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza to prevent problems when playing as the gorilla enemies.
- patch 26 May 2015 (Update):
- Unnecessary force-walk tiles north of Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza have been removed.
- patch 16 March 2015 (Update):
- The gorilla model will no longer deform when a player is transformed during a game of Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza.
- patch 8 December 2014 (Update):
- The wigwams at Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza are no longer blue in low detail.
- patch 4 August 2014 (Update):
- Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza has been added to the Choose Your Path interface.
- patch 19 May 2014 (Update):
- Some text on the Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza abilities interface has been changed to be more accurate.
- patch 28 April 2014 (Update):
- The "points gained" popup message when finishing a game of Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza has been removed as it overlapped the scoreboard interface.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- While the initial concept for the event did feature Brassica and Marimbo actually fighting, it was changed after Jagex realised it would not fit the characters.
- If a cabbage or a banana were eaten in the event area, players would be healed 20,000 life points instead of 200, due to the presence of Brassica and Marimbo. This did not work with sliced bananas.
- There is a glitch when players enter the barrier to the Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza arena. When seen from inside the barrier, players standing outside the barrier appear invisible.
- Prior to 22 April 2014, Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza games were held in the world a player entered the waiting area, with only players from that world. After the update, the games are held in an instance shard world, with players being teleported from the waiting areas in any world.
- The event was initially announced as a world event, although Jagex later reclassified it as a spring event due to its lighthearted nature and length. Nevertheless, it shares many of the same mechanics as world events. The D&D tracker under the Adventures refers to it as "World Event 3" before being fixed.
- The event was voted for by players as part of the Power to the Players system, where it was put against a traditional Easter event and emerged victorious with 65% of the votes.
- On 6 March 2017, the arena entrance was moved to the Gamers' Grotto. Previously, it was located north of Lumbridge Crater.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. RuneFest 2013 future updates session: RuneScape 2014 Mod Mark (16:06) RuneFest 3 recording, 2 November 2013.
- ^ Quartermaster, "Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza", RuneScape. "Well, it seems that Marimbo and Brassica Prime - that's them over there on the fancy thrones - saw the recent fighting between the other gods."
- ^ Quartermaster, "Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza", RuneScape. "I own a couple of fields around these parts, right? So there I am checking on the broccoli one day when Marimbo comes plummeting out of the sky holding a big, plump, green cabbage in one hand."
- ^ Quartermaster, "Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza", RuneScape. "Bless me if the cabbage doesn't begin to speak - says my 'devotion to his people has been noted' and I'm to be 'blessed over all other non-cabbages'. And then the ape pipes up and says I look near enough like one of hers, too. I don't know I like what she was implying[sic]. Anyway, she picks me up in the other hand she jumps about a mile in the air and comes down right here. The rest of it you know."
- ^ Quartermaster, "Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza", RuneScape. "The two gods said something I didn't quite catch, and that big stone plinth just stank into the ground. Now there's a doorway there. Never knew there was a dungeon under these fields."
- ^ Quartermaster, "Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza", RuneScape. "I don't think they quite see it as a fight, though. Marimbo's knocking back banana daiquiris like it's going out of style, and Brassica Prime's acting like it's some sort of popularity contest."
- ^ Brassica Prime, "Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza", RuneScape. "But you see, I have an ulterior motive. While Marimbo drinks herself into a stupor, I will settle the age old question... Which is more delicious - bananas or cabbages?"
- ^ Holstein, Emissary of the Godless, "Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza", RuneScape. "She stood before the gods and began to declare that all races would eventually be free of their influence. It was a glorious, stirring sight."
- ^ Holstein, Emissary of the Godless, "Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza", RuneScape. "Then they began to laugh and pelt her with things. Then they called her insulting names. ... Well, Brassica threw cabbages. I will leave it up to your imagination what Marimbo and her followers threw."
- ^ Brassica Prime, "Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza", RuneScape. "You! Naked homeless person! In my generosity I have decided to donate leaves with which you can cover your fleshy body. Not my own of course. But they will serve to keep you warm. Am I not benevolent?"
- ^ Marimbo, "Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza", RuneScape. "I don't think she's serious. She always laughs when she flirts with me. And she is the goddess of pleasure and hedonism after all. She may just be playing the part. But if not..."
- ^ Jagex. "Decide on a Spring Holiday Event". 20 January 2014. RuneScape Polls.