Buyers and Cellars
|Buyers and Cellars (#164)|
|Release date||28 April 2010 (Update)|
|Official series||Thieves' Guild #1|
|Quest create ID||167|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Buyers and Cellars is a quest in which you help Darren Lightfinger, aspiring guildmaster, establish a guild of thievery.
Official description[edit | edit source]
While some find their fortunes in forsaken lands battling dangerous monsters, the opportunistic adventurer knows that there is wealth to be had all around: in guarded vaults, trapped safes and the fattened purses of the rich and careless.
With naught but a capacious cellar, an extensive vocabulary and a dash of derring-do, rakish confidence trickster Darren Lightfinger hopes to establish an official Lumbridge Thieves' Guild where all proponents of his time-honoured profession may pursue their various business interests.
Darren has sent out feelers for assistance, promising rich rewards to the person who helps him bring his plan to fruition. It's never wise to trust a con-man, but this is too good an opportunity for a resourceful rogue to pass up.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Speak to Darren Lightfinger in his cellar, accessed through a trapdoor next to a small house just north of the Lumbridge furnace. Show on map (via a location)|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Short to Medium|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
Derring-do[edit | edit source]
Start by speaking to Darren Lightfinger in his cellar, accessed through a trap door behind the house north of the Lumbridge furnace. He'll tell you that he plans to build a hideout for criminals from all over the world; ironically, he has no money to create and run the guild. When asked what he has in mind to raise the required funds, he says that the city of Lumbridge has a stashed golden chalice and he has found an eager client for it.
The only glitch in the plan remains that of retrieving it from the Lumbridge Castle bank. Darren tells you that he will have his right hand, Chief Thief Robin, investigate into the owner of the chalice but would like you to perform the act, in exchange for great rewards.
The golden years[edit | edit source]
Accept Darren's request and he asks you to pickpocket the dummy first. Each pickpocket gives 8 experience, so lower levelled players can train on this and acquire quick levels.
Once you're experienced enough, he tells you to meet up with Robin in the castle grounds for further instructions.
If you have at least 62 Thieving, you can ask Darren to pickpocket the training dummy again for an additional 2,000 Thieving experience. You must pickpocket the dummy several times to get the experience. Also, if you have bonus experience in Thieving, you'll instead receive 4,000 Thieving experience. Do this if you want the achievement.
Exit the cellar and head to the Lumbridge Castle. Speak to Robin along the southern wall and he'll inform you that the owner of the chalice, an angry old man, has withdrawn it from the bank and headed south towards the swamp. He recommends avoiding violence, since a priest is favoured by the gods, and suggests pickpocketing instead.
Road to infamy[edit | edit source]
Speak to Father Urhney about the chalice and ask him whether you could hold it; he refuses to take it out from the display case. If you try to pick his pocket you'll find that you need some way to distract him. You can optionally return to Robin for help and he'll suggest engineering a crisis – a fire outside his window should do the trick.
Back at Urhney's house, light a fire outside any of his open windows. Talk to Father Urhney and mention the chalice again, followed by the option: "Fire! Fire!". Driving him into a momentary panic, quickly pickpocket him to get a complex key. Use the key to open the display case and steal the chalice.
With the chalice in hand, head back to Darren back at the Thieves' Guild, and he'll officially instate you as a guild member for a job well done.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- 500 experience
- Access to the Thieves' Guild
- 3 Thieves' guild pamphlet (each granting 175 experience, for a total of 525 experience)
- Ability to collect hanky points
- Ability to develop the Thieves' Guild by completing the Capers miniquests
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Buyers and Cellars ( 0) – Complete this quest.
- Buy and Sell Some XP ( 10) – Claim Thieving XP after 'Buyers and Cellars'.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Buyers and Cellars is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Cultural references[edit | edit source]
- While training on the dummy, Darren Lightfinger will say:
- "Its the eye of the kyatt, it's the will of the heist" - a reference to the song Eye of the Tiger, by Survivor.
- "Handkerchief on, handkerchief off" - a reference to the car waxing scene from the movie, The Karate Kid.
- "Oom-pah-pah! Oom... Wait, no, that's the second act" - a reference to a song in the musical Oliver!, based on the Charles Dickens book Oliver Twist, about a group of juvenile pickpockets.
- "Once more with feeling!" - a reference to a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode of the same name.
- When delivering the chalice to Darren at the end, he says 'I knew I had chosen wisely when I recruited you." This is a reference to Indiana Jones.
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Buyers and Cellars|
|Art & Graphics|
|Graphics||Mod Stead, Gurpreet K|
|Quality assurance||Dan G, Dan O, Mod James H|
|Quest Help||Mod Rowley|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 16 January 2023 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that prevented players from receiving experience when completing the Buyers and Cellars quest.
- patch 4 January 2016 (Update):
- Corrected a typo in the Master Quest cape requirement list for Buyers and Cellars.
- patch 2 October 2012 (Update):
- Urist Loric now has a right-click trade option after the relevant section of the Buyers and Cellars quest line.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name of the quest is a pun on the phrase "buyers and sellers".
- On the day of release, the spoiler in the knowledge base was concealed by "He may not be the most subtle of rogues, but Darren Lightfinger knows how to keep a secret. He's staying tight-lipped about rewards for the time being."
- When you speak to Chief Thief Robin outside Lumbridge castle, he says "the purple owl croaks at dawn", a variation of a code word, and being most similar to "the crow flies at midnight."
|Part 1 of the Thieves' Guild quest series|