Butterflies are a type of Hunter creature that can be caught either with a net or bare handed. Catching bare handed gives additional Hunter experience and also Agility experience, but requires a higher hunter level and also an Agility level, and doesn't allow saving butterflies in a jar. To use a net, it must be wielded and unsheathed. The following nets can be used: butterfly net, magic butterfly net, sacred clay butterfly net, or volatile clay butterfly net. To store a butterfly, an empty butterfly jar or impling jar must be in the inventory. A butterfly can be netted by only one player, the one who attempted to capture it first. The butterfly may be released from the jar immediately, allowing players to hunt another (butterfly jars are reusable).
They give low experience, and are best combined with some form of trapping. Some butterflies can be used to boost the combat skills of other players. They are often used in Castle Wars to boost the stats of teammates.
With high Hunter and Agility levels, players can catch butterflies with their bare hands. This yields much more Hunter experience than usual, and also gives a small amount of Agility experience. However, players cannot wield weapons while attempting to catch a butterfly barehanded, and any butterflies caught in this fashion are immediately released. If catching butterflies barehanded, there is a chance of receiving a part of the crystal triskelion.
When catching butterflies, it is recommended to find a butterfly's spawn and stick to catching that particular butterfly. Since butterflies respawn in a few seconds, it may be beneficial to stay in one place rather than run around trying to find another butterfly to catch. In addition, some butterflies have smaller wander radii than others. Players may find it useful to locate a butterfly that does not wander far from its respawn point, because the player will earn faster experience than if they were training on a butterfly with a very large wander radius.
Butterflies[edit | edit source]
|15 (80 and 75 Agility)||Ruby harvest||Woodland||24 (276)||Raises another player's Attack by 20%||1,611|
|25 (85 and 80 Agility)||Sapphire glacialis||Snow||34 (318)||Raises another player's Defence by 20%||209|
|35 (90 and 85 Agility)||Snowy knight||Snow||44 (355)||Restores another player's life points by 20%||558|
|45 (95 and 90 Agility)||Black warlock||Jungle||54 (475)||Raises another player's Strength by 20%||352|
Butterflies do not give these bonuses when released via the right-click option. It must be used on another player to boost the other player's stats.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 2 December 2019 (Update):
- Fixed a bug where butterflies were not filling hunter urns when caught with a net.
- patch 8 July 2019 (Update):
- Increased the click box of butterflies.
- Increased the physical size of butterflies to make them easier to see.
- Made Sapphire Glacialis bluer, to help differentiate them from Snowy Knights.
- Your agility level now affects your success chance when catching butterflies.
- Sapphire glacialis and Snowy Knight butterflies have been moved around in Rellekka to make them more accessible.
- When successfully catching a butterfly barehanded, there is a high chance that you will release it and automatically start catching it again.
- Enhanced Yaktwee stick can now be worn while barehanded catching butterflies.