Breaking the Storm
|Breaking the Storm|
|Release date||24 June 2019 (Update)|
|End date||7 July 2019 (Update)|
|Reward||Pets, outfits, animations, and a unique title|
|Head developer||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Breaking the Storm was a two-week community event which started on 24 June 2019. During the event, players could help build The Stormbreaker, a boat at the Varrock Dig Site for future use in travelling to the newly-discovered island of Anachronia.
To get started, players spoke to Mr. Mordaut at the Digsite, which could also be accessed by interacting with any event noticeboard in Gielinor. While skilling, players could earn up to 500 extra boat materials at an accelerated rate in addition to the regular slower rate and receive double experience while gathering them. This limit was reset daily.
Logging in during the event prompted the message:At the beginning of phase 4 of the event this was followed by
Skilling activities[edit | edit source]
As the event progressed, new skilling methods became available. The skilling methods from the previous phases were also kept available in the subsequent phases.
|Phase||Start||Activity 1||Activity 2||Activity 3|
|Phase 1||24 June 2019||Reinforcing the boat construction site||Tending the Enchanted Trees||Chopping the Enchanted Trees|
|Phase 2||27 June 2019||Forging iron rivets from cold or heated iron||Attaching rivets to the boat construction site||N/A|
|Phase 3||29 June 2019||Empowering wards on the magic workbench||Tinkering with the boat engine||N/A|
|Phase 4||4 July 2019||Channeling energy with divination at almost finished boat||Sewing sails with crafting at crafting workbench||N/A|
While in the "Breaking the Storm" area, players earned 10% extra XP. This did affect all experience gains, not just those from the event activities. The base experience was doubled for the first 125 daily actions in the area.
XP rates[edit | edit source]
|Activity||Actions/h||Base XP[a 1]||Base XP/min at maximal level||Base XP/h at maximal level||Skill required||Phase onwards|
|Reinforcing the hull at the boat construction site||1,000||69.4||1,156.7||69,400||Construction||1|
|Tending Enchanted Tree||1,000||34||566.7||34,000||Farming||1|
|Tending an enchanted tree (wilting)||1,000||190.4||3,233.3[a 2]||194,000[a 2]||Farming||1|
|Chopping Enchanted Tree||1,000||40.4||673.3||40,400||Woodcutting||1|
|Chopping an enchanted tree (verdant)||1,000||269.1||4,485[a 2]||269,100[a 2]||Woodcutting||1|
|Forging cold iron||1,000||54.4||906.7||54,400||Smithing||2|
|Forging heated iron||1,000||108.8||1,813.3||108,800||Smithing||2|
|Attaching rivets at the boat construction site||1,000||117.6||1,960||117,600||Construction||2|
|Empower wards with magic at the magic workbench||1,000||145.2||2,420||145,200||Magic||3|
|Tinkering with invention at the boat engine||1,000||117.8||1,963.3||117,800||Invention||3|
|Channel energy at the almost finished boat||1,000||105||1,750||105,000||Divination||4|
|Sew sails at the crafting workbench||1,000||105||1,750||105,000||Crafting||4|
- ^ XP rates are level-dependant. There is a 10% boost to the base values throughout the event, and the first 125 daily skilling actions in the area provide doubled base XP.
- ^ a b c d Verdant and wilting are phases of the enchanted trees that cycle every so often so it is not possible to achieve these XP rates due to the phase changes.
Mr. Mordaut's special task[edit | edit source]
Players could speak to Mr. Mordaut at the Digsite to receive a special task. The task was to infuse the hull of the boat with powerful wards, which requires collecting fragments of a powerful ancient crest hidden across the site. Eva's alerter, a device for locating the fragments, can be obtained from Eva who can be found just north of Mr. Mordaut.
Players could interact with the Eva's alerter when they were in the vicinity of a buried fragment. This would reveal a hole that could be interacted with to dig up the fragment.
There were five different crest fragments to find around the Digsite.
- North of the boat, next to the winch
- West of the boat, on the raised terrain next to an oak tree and pink flowers
- In the dig area immediately west of the boat, south-west of the winch
- South-west of the boat, in the dig area containing a cart
- South of the boat and just slightly north of the Exam Centre, next to a stationary Archaeologist
Once all five fragments are collected, the player could combine them in their inventory and then talk to Mr. Mordaut with the resulting stormbreaker crest to complete the task.
Shop[edit | edit source]
Players could purchase boosts from the shop tab in the event interface.
|Small event currency package||Provides 500 Boat materials||45 RuneCoins|
|Medium event currency package||Provides 2500 Boat materials||240 RuneCoins|
|Large event currency package||Provides 5000 Boat materials||385 RuneCoins|
|Boost brew||Doubles XP gained from training at the event for 30 minutes||45 RuneCoins[shop 1]|
- ^ The first purchase of a boost brew is free.
Boat materials could be converted from a player's inventory or currency pouch into mystery boxes.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
|Boat materials||Reward milestone|
|1,250||Varrock Agent Boots|
|2,750||Big event mystery box (Breaking the Storm)|
|4,000||Varrock Agent Gloves|
|6,000||Varrock Agent Faulds|
|8,000||Varrock Agent Tunic|
|10,000||Varrock Agent Cowl|
|12,000||Big event mystery box (Breaking the Storm)|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ RuneScape Month Ahead (June 2019) - Comp Cape Rework, Weapon Diversity, Summer Special. 7 June 2019.
- ^ Jagex. RuneScape's Twitter account. 20 June 2019. (Archived from the original on 20 June 2019.) RuneScape: "On June 24th, the two-week event "Breaking the Storm" will mark the start of the journey to Anachronia: rs.game/MonthAheadJune19 🌳 XP: Construction, Woodcutting, Farming 💎 Rewards: Mini Mr Mordaut pet, Varrock Agents outfit, Planting Flag animation, ‘Stormbreaker' title."
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 15 July 2019 (Update):
- The Breaking the Storm buffs have been correctly cleared, as the event has now ended.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During Phase 1, the enchanted trees rotated through three stages. This rotation varied on each server and it may be possible to gain more experience by swapping worlds to always be chopping a verdant tree or tending a wilted tree. Due to the unknown nature of another world, fast rotation of stages, and login cooldown due to too many relogs, the chance for experience loss was significant.