Unlocking all boss pets is one of the requirements for the golden version of the Final Boss [Name] title.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
- Each boss has a base drop chance of the item, represented as . For example, General Graardor's decaying tooth has a base drop chance of 1/5000.
- Each boss has an associated threshold, which is a number . For example, General Graardor's threshold is 1000. This number relates to the total kills of the boss recorded in the player's Beasts tab in the Adventures interface.
- The thresholds are usually 1/5th of the drop chance's denominator multiplied by the number of pets. For example, the Dagannoth Kings have a drop chance of X/2500. One-fifth of 2500 is 500, but there are 3 Dagannoth King pets, so the threshold is 3×500, or 1500.
- This threshold modifier does not apply to Vindicta or the Twin Furies.
- For every recorded kills the player has of the boss, the numerator of the drop chance increases by 1.
- This is rounded down, so having 1999 recorded General Graardor kills is treated the same as 1000 recorded General Graardor kills.
- For bosses with a hard mode or challenge mode, the two kill counts are added together when checking the number of times the threshold has been met. Normal mode and hard mode kills are weighted equally; i.e. 1 hard mode kill has the same effect on increasing the drop chance as 1 normal mode kill does.
- For example, a player with 2464 General Graardor kills and 603 hard mode General Graardor kills has 3067 total kills, so their decaying tooth drop chance numerator is increased by 3, giving a drop chance of 4/5000 (1/1250) in normal mode and 4/1000 (1/250) in hard mode.
- The numerator is capped at 10, so the drop chance will no longer increase once the threshold has been passed 9 times.
In a mathematical format, the chance of receiving a boss pet on any particular kill is:
- is your normal mode kill count and is your hard mode kill count
- is the denominator of the base drop rate
- is the number of pets available from the boss
- This can be simplified such that () is the threshold value, everytime this value is reached in killcount is (), the chance of receiving a pet:
- This effectively makes each threshold reached change the pet base denominator to be where is up to a maximum of 9 times.
Boss pets unlocked by item drops[edit | edit source]
The majority of these pets were added in the boss pets update on 5 January 2015. They are all unlocked by obtaining a specific item drop from the respective boss. A server-wide broadcast occurs when a player receives a drop. When a player uses the item, the item is consumed and the boss pet is unlocked with the message:
Pets can be obtained while LootShare is active; however, they are not distributed via LootShare. Boss pets are always given to the player who would have obtained the drop if LootShare was not active. For the majority of bosses, this is the player who dealt the most damage in the kill.
Each of these pets can be examined (by any player) to display the number of kills their owner has against the corresponding boss. They can also be used to override Summoning familiars from the boss pets section of the pets interface. If used this way, the overridden familiar will also show the relevant killcount upon being examined, beneath the normal familiar examine.
- ^ a b c Level 99 Summoning is required to summon the pet, but it is not required to receive the drop.
- ^ Unlocks both forms of the Kalphite Queen.
- ^ This is the "per drop" chance, where Vorago gives 5 drops per kill. As such, the "per kill" drop chance (the chance that at least one is dropped in Vorago's 5 drops) is a (or in hard mode). If 5 players each obtain one of the drop slots, their individual chances are 1/5000 (1/2500 in hard mode).
- ^ Obtainable only after the player has used the Maul of omens on Vorago in hard mode on all rotations.
- ^ This is the "per drop" chance, where Vorago gives 5 drops per kill. As such, the "per kill" drop chance (the chance that at least one is dropped in Vorago's 5 drops) is between 1/11 and 1/10. If 5 eligible players each obtain one of the drop slots, their individual chances are 1/50.
- ^ This drop does not use the kill threshold system to improve drop chance.
- ^ a b This drop can only be obtained after all six Araxyte pet skins have been obtained. The first egg used unlocks Barry; the second, Mallory.
- ^ a b c d e f Drop chance is not affected by the drop increase reward from reputation.
- ^ a b c d One roll for each pet per kill of the boss.
- ^ 1,400 in encounters of 99% or lower enrage, 700 in encounters of 100%+ enrage.
- ^ Originally had a threshold of 500.
- ^ a b c Solo and group killcounts are combined to determine the threshold that has been reached.
- ^ Originally had a threshold of 250 for solo and 1000 for a group.
- ^ Chance per loot pile; Kerapac gives 3 drops per kill.
- ^ Chance per loot pile; Arch-Glacor gives 3 drops per kill in normal mode. Denominator depends on the number of mechanics enabled in the Arch-Glacor fight: 18,000 for 0 mechanics; 15,000 for 1 mechanic; 12,000 for 2 mechanics; 9,000 for 3 mechanics; 6,000 for 4 mechanics; 3,000 for 5 mechanics.
- ^ Rolled once per kill regardless of contribution score.
Boss pets unlocked through other methods[edit | edit source]
Boss pet totals[edit | edit source]
|Pet||29 Jan 2015||18 Sep 2015||15 Mar 2016||4 May 2016||16 Aug 2016||25 Apr 2017|
|King Black Dragonling||250||3581||N/A||N/A||7800||10346|
|Queen Black Dragonling||515||3877||N/A||N/A||7983||10499|
|Ahrim the Bobbled||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||1009|
|Dharok the Bobbled||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||1058|
|Guthan the Bobbled||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||776|
|Karil the Bobbled||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||1393|
|Torag the Bobbled||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||802|
|Verac the Bobbled||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||859|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 1 February 2021 (Update):
- patch 3 February 2020 (Update):
- Boss pets will now show the correct player’s killcount when examined.
- patch 29 January 2018 (Update):
- Pet examines now display the full kill count when a boss is prestiged.
- patch 9 May 2016 (Update):
- Boss pet objects are no longer destroyed on death. Instead, they can be reclaimed from Death with a reclaim cost of 8000 coins each.
- patch 10 August 2015 (Update):
- Players can once again interact with their boss pets via the familiar medallion.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Queen Black Dragonling and Dagannoth hatchlings were originally not planned to be released with the other pets, due to the Queen Black Dragon being "too big" and the Dagannoth Kings having old models and animations. Due to player feedback, they were included with the other pets.
- The original concept was to allow players to obtain the pets by either getting the item as a drop, or by gambling reaper points for a random pet. The latter idea was scrapped.
- For a short while after the update, players would get a notification in the chatbox upon login saying "Your favourite bosses can now be obtained as pets, so what are you waiting for? Get out and catch them all!" This is a reference to the Pokémon franchise.
- In the first batch of boss pets, all examine texts were plays on their larger counterparts' examines.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao ap aq ar as at au av aw ax ay Mod Ryan. "Boss pets - Drop rates!." 9 January 2015. Ninja Team Forums. Lost reference
- ^ a b c d e Mod Shauny. "Patch Notes (16 July 2018)." 16 July 2018. Recent Game Updates Forums. Mod Shauny: "Nex:AoD, Solak and Seiryu's boss pet threshold modifiers are now at one fifth of their base random chance."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Chris L's Twitter account. 8 February 2015. (Archived from the original on 24 March 2015.) Mod Chris L: "1/5k per drop, so should be 1/1k kills"
- ^ Mod Shauny[source needed]. "Patch Notes (31 July 2017)." 31 July 2017. Recent Game Updates Forums. Mod Shauny: "A threshold of 1,000 has been added to the Ancient Summoning Stone drop from Vorago."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 17 April 2021. (Archived from the original on 17 April 2021.) Mod Ramen: "It's me, it was wrong. Was chatting to someone about it last night and they were convinced it was 1/100 but I remember working on it with Chris, Ryan and Harrison so updated it :)"
- ^ a b c d Mod William. "Patch Notes (20 February 2017)." 20 February 2017. Recent Game Updates Forums. Mod William: "Two new boss pets have been added to the game, Yakaminu (Yakamaru) and Diddyzag (Beastmaster Durzag). They are a requirement for the golden Final Boss title, and have a 1/300 drop rate, with a threshold of 60 kills. They can be won in an "off-loot" kill, and will still be awarded if a player is disconnected or leaves the group after winning the pet, before managing to claim it."
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 30 March 2016. (Archived from the original on 17 January 2019.) Mod Ramen: "Drop rates are 1/2000 normal mode, 1/1000 challenge mode and 400 threshhold" In response to the question: "Threshes were said to be the same as nex. I haven't seen this confirmed though, maybe kyle can?"
- ^ a b c d Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 30 March 2016. (Archived from the original on 17 January 2019.) Mod Ramen: "i've allowed it to roll once for each of pets which is why they seem so common" In response to the question: "I assume it's just 1/2k > Pick one of the two for Twin Furies? Or is there conditions for a specific one?"
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 4 July 2016. (Archived from the original on 17 January 2019.) Mod Ramen: "1400" In response to the question: "Is the Telos pet 1/1400 below 100% enr, or 1/1050?"
- ^ a b c Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 10 October 2018. (Archived from the original on 17 January 2019.) Mod Orion: "Futon has 245 kills: You have a 4x higher chance to receive the pet on solo mode. You have not yet reached the threshold on group mode. That's a 4/300 (1/75) drop chance in solo. You remain on a 1/1500 in group. … I was actually wrong. It's a 5/300 (1/60) chance on solo. Regular roll + threshold + threshold + threshold + threshold." An example of the combined killcount threshold given in response to a player.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 17 May 2019. (Archived from the original on 17 May 2019.) Mod Orion: "Elite dungeon duo pet rates and thresholds btw"
- ^ a b c Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 10 October 2018. (Archived from the original on 17 January 2019.) Mod Orion: "I've just looked at the code again. A month or two ago, I altered the thresholds to be more consistent. The thresholds are combined and have been for a while."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 24 June 2018. (Archived from the original on 17 January 2019.) Mod Orion: "I believe it's 250 solo and 1k group" In response to the question: "whats the threshold of the new pet I can't find if it was stated anywhere"
- ^ a b Jagex. Mod Ryan's Twitter account. 25 December 2020. (Archived from the original on 25 December 2020.) Mod Ryan: "Merry Christmas everyone! Raksha pet drop is 1/1000 with a threshold of 200."
- ^ a b c d e f Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 23 April 2021. (Archived from the original on 24 May 2021.) Mod Orion: "Rex Matriarch pet drop rates: 1/2000 with a 1000kc threshold."
- ^ a b c d e f g h Jagex. "Elder God Wars Dungeon: Drop Rates." 20 December 2021. RuneScape News.
- ^ a b Jagex. "Zamorak Drop Rates." 2 September 2022. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. RS Ninja Team - Boss Pets, Wildywyrm and Combat Improvements! (Twitch.tv livestream). 9 December 2014. (Archived from the original on 3 June 2021.)
- ^ Mod Timbo. "Revealing Drop Rates." 20 October 2017. Developers' Blogs. Mod Timbo: "If you don't already own Lil' Tuzzy, Durzag rolls a 1 in 512 chance to drop the pet."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Porky's Twitter account. 29 January 2015. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Mod Porky: "Who wants to know how many boss pets have been unlocked? http://i.imgur.com/iAdN1hG.png" The referenced table contains the transcription of the attached image.
- ^ Jagex. RuneScape's Twitter account. 22 September 2015. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) RuneScape: "Confirmed. The Kalphite Grublet is the rarest pet. Gratz if you have one! #RSDevQA http://twitch.tv/runescape https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPhWtRvUkAEuDVl.png" The referenced table contains the transcription of the attached image.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 15 March 2016. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Mod Ramen: "Here is a little something for all of you curious about how many people own Vitalis, Bombi and Raid pets https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdlOKyVW0AAV3SD.jpg"
- ^ Mod Shauny. God Wars Dungeon 2 - A Stats Megadump!. 4 May 2016. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.)
- ^ ImRubic. TL;DW 226 - Q&A + Data Stream!. 30 August 2016. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.)
- ^ Mod Shauny. Here's something you may enjoy IFB & FB numbers & Boss Drops, enjoy!. 25 April 2017. (Archived from the original on 28 October 2019.)
- ^ The Vitalis count was given by Mod Ryan on High Level Forums; the post with this count no longer exists.