|Release date||24 May 2001 (Update)|
|Removal||26 September 2012 (Update)|
|Examine||He is guarding the edge of the starting area.|
|NPC ID||15915, 15917|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Border Guards were non-attackable non-player characters who charged a player ten coins to cross the border between Al Kharid and Lumbridge. They wielded weapons similar to a steel halberd and at the time wereare the only free-to-play NPCs to wield halberds other than the fortress guards at the Black Knights' Fortress. They were removed with the Al Kharid graphical rework in September 2012, however border guards at the western and southern gates, who didn't share their toll functionality, remained in game.
Other areas[edit | edit source]
On 17 September 2009, with the release of the starting area, two border guards were added to Draynor Village, Falador and Barbarian Village each. They let players pass for free, and players could not communicate with them. Any players with a total level of 59 or under would receive the following confirmation message on whether to pass through this gate or not, unless the account was three days or older: With the exception of the Al Kharid and Varrock guards, they have all been removed with the release of The Bird and the Beast world event in December 2013.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Kharidian border guards resemble Al Kharid warriors.
- In one of the Postbags from the Hedge, Postie Pete apparently discovered that the two Border Guards were stealing the money. When he further inquired about this, the Border Guards distracted him and were "replaced" with two other guards that look exactly the same.
- Previously, if a player talked to them in the now discontinued Learning the Ropes tutorial, they would talk about how the residents of Lumbridge are inconsiderate in keeping a dragon as a pet.
- When RuneScape HD was released, the Al Kharid Border Guards received a new look, their old one being a combination of orange and purple.
- The Al Kharid guards will all turn and look at a player if the player goes near them.