The interface that players can use to choose the bones that are buried when obtained as drops, with the auto-pickup upgrade unlocked.
The bonecrusher is a reward bought from Daemonheim rewards trader. It requires levels 21 Dungeoneering and 21 Prayer to purchase and costs 34,000 Dungeoneering tokens.
When a player has a bonecrusher present in their pocket slot, inventory, or tool belt, all bones defined by the bonecrusher's settings dropped by monster kills, or obtained from hunting, will be automatically converted into Prayer experience. However, the bonecrusher does not have any effect on ashes dropped from demonic beings, with the exception being Death Spawn, which are associated with killing Nechryaels, giving 12.5 experience per Death Spawn killed, for the accursed ashes. The bonecrusher also does not auto-bury the special long and curved bones that can be exchanged for Construction experience and coins in Dorgesh-Kaan. It also does not work on bones obtained from killing other players in the Wilderness.
If tokens are obtained exclusively through training at Daemonheim, level 62 Dungeoneering is required to obtain the necessary amount of tokens.
Upon purchasing the bonecrusher, it will not destroy any bones until the player has selected their settings. This can be done by left-clicking the bonecrusher and choosing what bones will be crushed. Currently, bones and burnt bones are both toggled by the Bones option.
The item needs only to be present in the player's inventory, worn in the pocket slot, or in the slayer belt for it to take effect, and may be found useful if players have a tendency to leave bones on the ground and not bury them. When a monster is killed that drops a selected bone while the bonecrusher is carried, Prayer experience is rewarded in a way similar to Slayer experience (with bones missing from the drops), with no animation or anything similar occurring. This means that this item won't slow players down at all compared to leaving bones on the ground. The bonecrusher has no effect on drops when it is left in the bank and will not work if LootShare or CoinShare is active, or in PvP activities.
The bonecrusher can be added to the slayer belt by learning how to from a Slayer master at a cost of 500 Slayer points. Once on the slayer belt it cannot be removed, however the settings menu can still be accessed via the tool belt.
If a monster drops more than one bone, such as bloodveld or jogres often do, all dropped bones that are selected to be crushed will be converted to prayer experience; the rest will appear on the ground as usual, as a separate drop. Also, long or curved bones will not be buried by the bonecrusher, as these are a separate drop too.
Bones dropped as notes, like those dropped by cyclopes in the Warriors' Guild when using multi-token mode, are not affected by the bonecrusher.
The (attuned) ectoplasmator is the equivalent of the bonecrusher for ghost-like creatures, and monsters that drop ashes.
The bonecrusher can be used together with the twisted bird necklace, split dragontooth necklace, demon horn necklace, Corruption aura, Salvation aura or Harmony aura to regain Prayer points.
The bonecrusher can be upgraded by Boni on Waiko for 25,000 chimes and 25 taijitu. The upgraded bonecrusher, often called the "bonepicker", has an option (Bone collector: Auto-pickup) to toggle picking-up bones that aren't marked for crushing (instead of leaving them on the floor). The bones are placed into the inventory unnoted, so this is best combined with magic notepaper, a pack yak with scrolls, or the Death Note relic to keep the bones. If your inventory is full, bones will be dropped to the ground.
This functionality is similar to the charming imp, with the options of destroy for experience or place into inventory - except the bonepicker allows the 'Auto-pickup' option to be disabled to leave them on the floor.
The bonecrusher upgrade is not a new item - buying it merely unlocks a new option on the existing bonecrusher settings interface: Bone collector - Auto-pickup.
It is worth noting that wearing a drop modifier item that changes unnoted bone drops to noted, such as the Fremennik sea boots 4 for the Dagannoth Kings, will take precedence over the bonepicker leaving the bones on the ground. However, the relic power, Death Note, that you get from handing in the Kaladanda to the mysterious monolith, will allow both of these functions to operate together.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included—see here for how to help out!
patch 15 July 2019 (Update):
- patch 29 April 2019 (Update):
- The upgraded bonecrusher will now correctly loot all bones if more than one is received at a time.
- ninja 23 October 2017 (Update):
- The bonecrusher upgrade can now be bought from Boni in Waiko without owning a bonecrusher as part of the Arc achievements. Players still require the original bonecrusher from Daemonheim in order to activate the effect.
- hotfix 17 October 2016 (Update):
- The upgraded bonecrusher no longer picks up ashes.
- patch 15 August 2016 (Update):
- The bonecrusher now works correctly when hunting pawyas.
- ninja 22 June 2015 (Update):
- The bonecrusher now has a Settings menu, allowing players to select which types of bones are destroyed for XP when dropped by NPCs. All options are switched off by default.
- patch 13 April 2015 (Update):
- Bonecrushers will now crush Pyramid Plunder mummy bones.
- patch 22 November 2011 (Update):
- Using a bonecrusher whilst using falconry will now calculate the required free inventory spots correctly.
- patch 31 August 2011 (Update):
- Chompy birds now work correctly with the bonecrusher.
- patch 23 August 2011 (Update):
- This item no longer crushes vyrewatch corpses or shade remains.
- patch 5 July 2011 (Update):
- The bonecrusher now works correctly with monkey skeletons. The respawning code has also been tidied up to not rely on players being in the area.
- patch 1 February 2011 (Update):
- This item now functions correctly when using a dwarf multicannon.
- patch 9 November 2010 (Update):
- The bonecrusher will now correctly check the space left in a player's inventory.
- patch 1 September 2010 (Update):
- The bonecrusher will now work with bones dropped by the Guardians of Armadyl.
- patch 19 August 2010 (Update):
- The bonecrusher now works for Bork.
- patch 27 May 2010 (Update):
- The bonecrusher now works with bones obtained via the Hunter skill.
- update 21 April 2010 (Update):
- Dungeoneering reward items have had their costs reduced to a more suitable amount. Anyone who has already bought any of these items will find they have been refunded the difference in reward tokens.
- The bonecrusher used to cost 110,000 Dungeoneering tokens before the update on 21 April 2010.
- On 27 May 2014, it became possible to equip this item in the pocket slot. However, it can still bury bones even if it isn't equipped.
- On 8 June 2015, it became possible to add this item to the Tool belt.
- The bonecrusher will not work when killing the monster in the Wise Old Man's house.
- The bonecrusher will not work when killing mice while using the Shrink-me-quick potion during the Grim Tales quest.