A player equipping the bone brooch.
The bone brooch was the winning item in the Guaranteed Content poll on the RuneScape website for the 2010 Hallowe'en event. It also appeared as an option in the Guaranteed Content poll of Hallowe'en 2007; however, it lost to the Grim reaper hood. When worn, it does not occupy any equipment slots.
The bone brooch was released to players on 18 October 2010, upon the completion of the Hallowe'en event. The reward was chosen by players in a "Guaranteed Content Poll". It allows the player to morph into a pile of bones when worn, although these bones appear different from a real pile. If a player is attacked while wearing it, they will automatically unmorph. As it is an untradeable holiday item, if lost it can be recovered by speaking to Diango.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 17 August 2011 (Update):
- The ring of stone, Easter ring, and bone brooch are now restricted in duels if ‘disable rings’ is selected.
- patch 28 March 2011 (Update):
- Players will no longer slide while transforming into a bone pile.
- When transformed, most timers (such as prayer points) will pause until the transformation has ended, and various damaging effects (such as Desert heat) will not harm the player until they unmorph.
- Trying to wear the brooch during certain activities can result in various messages in the chatbox:
The interface when a Bone Brooch is equipped.
- When using an emote, the message will read "You're a little busy showing off right now."
- When wearing the bed sheet from Ghosts Ahoy, the message will read "You can't wear the brooch and the bedsheet at the same time."
- When doing an agility performance in Balthazar Beauregard's Big Top Bonanza, the message will read "Bones don't balance well on tightropes."
- When playing a game of Great Orb Project, the message will read "You're here to collect orbs, not turn into bones."
- While in combat, the message will read "During a battle is rarely the right time for fashion experiments."
- When pedaling at the Blast Furnace, the message will read "You don't think you could pedal effectively if you were just bones."
- If you attempt to wear the bone brooch while you are stunned from picking pockets, your chatbox will state that you cannot transform while being bound by magic.
- When opening the equipment screen, although the Bone brooch is worn-and there is the option to wear it, attempting to do so will result in a message in the chat box saying that the Bone brooch can't be worn. This is because the Bone brooch is never actually worn, clicking on 'wear' simply transforms the player.