|Release||25 September 2013 (Update)|
|Destroy||This object cannot be dropped or destroyed.|
|Backpack||Redeem, Deposit, Drop|
|On death||Always kept|
|Help your friends by trading them bonds so they can get membership, Treasure Hunter keys or RuneCoins for free.|
|Exchange||24,034,194 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
A bond is an in-game item that allows a player to pay for selected account-related and out-of-game benefits such as membership, RuneCoins, and Treasure Hunter keys with in-game resources. Bonds bought with real money start off as tradeable.
Tradeable bonds may be traded to other players and sold on the Grand Exchange. However, when the transaction is complete, the bond will become untradeable. A bond is always bound to a player when it has not been redeemed or traded to another player. It is always kept on death, even when inside the Wilderness. Both tradeable and untradeable versions may be stored in a player's currency pouch, up to a total of 500. Players can only put an offer for one bond per Grand Exchange slot.
Products[edit | edit source]
When purchased using real life currency, bonds are tradeable. Once traded to another player for an in-game sum of money or items, they become untradeable. Bonds can be made tradeable again for a payment of 10% of their Grand Exchange value (10% currently being 2,403,419 coins).
Right-click options for the untradeable bond in inventory are: Redeem, Convert, Deposit, Use, Drop, Examine. Redeem allows you to spend the bond. Convert allows you to make the bond tradeable again (for a fee). Deposit places the bond(s) in your currency pouch.
Redeeming[edit | edit source]
At any time, whether tradeable or untradeable, bonds can be redeemed for one of the following:
- 14 days for 1 bond
- 29 days for 2 bonds (1 day extra compared to 2 bonds redeemed separately)
- 45 days for 3 bonds (3 days extra compared to 3 bonds redeemed separately)
- RuneMetrics Pro packages:
- 1 month for 1 bond
- 6 months for 5 bonds (1 month extra compared to 5 bonds redeemed separately)
- 12 months for 10 bonds (2 months extra compared to 10 bonds redeemed separately)
- 15 Treasure Hunter keys
- 195 RuneCoins
- 1 character name change (if redeemed on a members server)
- Mahjarrat aura for 3 bonds
- Dwarven instinct aura for 2 bonds
- Desert pantheon aura for 2 bonds
- 1 trader summoning stone
- Time-limited event currency:
- 5,000 currency for 1 bond
- 10,000 currency for 2 bonds (same rate as 2 bonds redeemed separately)
- 20,000 currency for 3 bonds (5,000 extra compared to 3 bonds redeemed separately)
- Yak Track task skips
- 4 for 1 bond
- 10 for 2 bonds
If the player has both tradeable and untradeable bonds, the latter will be used first.
Other uses[edit | edit source]
Bonds can be:
- Traded with other players
- Sold for in-game money
- Used to rent or buy up to five additional preset slots from the Gear interface (3 bonds each - note, you can alternatively buy 585 RuneCoins with 3 bonds, use 480 to buy the slot, and have 105 left over)
- Used to buy RuneFest tickets (when tickets are eligible to be purchased during the year)
- Used to buy Premier Club membership (when eligible to be purchased during the year)
- Used to buy Summer Special membership (when eligible to be purchased during the year)
- Used to buy Top Trumps
- Used to change your character name more than once a month
- Used to rent or buy the Wealth evaluator (3 bonds to buy—note, you can alternatively buy 585 RuneCoins with 3 bonds, use 480 to buy the slot, and have 105 left over)
- Used to buy a Block N Load Steam key
- Used to unlock all of the rewards from the Treasure map (Summer Beach Party) during the Summer Beach Party
Charitable donations[edit | edit source]
Jagex donated approximately $4.70 per bond put into the Well of Goodwill. A selection of charities have benefited from the donations.
Costs[edit | edit source]
Real-life currencies[edit | edit source]
|Currency||Bonds||Price per |
In-game money[edit | edit source]
|1 day of membership (1 bond; 14 days total)||1,716,728|
|1 day of membership (2 bonds; 29 days total)||1,657,531|
|1 day of membership (3 bonds; 45 days total)||1,602,280|
|1 day of RuneMetrics Pro (1 bond for 1 month Package total assuming 30 days)||801,140|
|1 day of RuneMetrics Pro (5 bonds for 6 months Package total assuming 182 days)||660,280|
|1 day of RuneMetrics Pro (10 bonds for 12 months Package total assuming 365 days)||658,471|
|1 day of bronze/silver/gold membership||1,579,249|
|1 day of summer special membership||1,335,233|
|1 Treasure Hunter key (15 total)||1,602,280|
|1 Treasure Hunter Daily Key (1 extra daily key, for 28 days)||858,364|
|1 RuneCoin (195 total)||123,252|
History[edit | edit source]
On 4 June 2018, along with membership, the price of a bond increased, as well as the number of keys and RuneCoins awarded when redeemed. Prior to this, bonds could be redeemed for 15 keys or 195 RuneCoins, and cost:
Cost analysis[edit | edit source]
Assuming minimum wage in each country, for each of the currencies listed:
|Country||Min. wage||Single Bond price||GP/h|
|UK||Varies, see below||£3.99||Varies, see below|
|Canada||Varies, see below||$7.39||Varies, see below|
- ^ Based on a minimum wage of $123.22 per day and a 45-hour work week
UK: Cost of 1 bond: £3.99
|18 to 20||£6.45||1.62||38,852,268|
|21 to 24||£8.20||2.06||49,393,581|
|25 and over||£8.72||2.19||52,525,857|
The Netherlands: Cost of 1 bond: €5.09, assuming working 40 hours per week.
|Age (years)||Min. wage||Bonds/h||GP/h|
Canada: Cost of 1 bond: $7.39
|Newfoundland & Labrador||$12.15||1.64||39,514,946|
|Prince Edward Island||$12.85||1.74||41,791,528|
Controversy[edit | edit source]
A section of the RuneScape community found the introduction of bonds hypocritical and destructive to the integrity of the game, claiming that it was real-world trading in the form of gold-selling. This is due to the fact that the bonds can be bought with real-life money and sold for in-game gold.
Jagex has said that despite the controversies, bonds did reduce the amount of other real world trading that occurred on illegitimate sites; within a week of the introduction of bonds, according to Jagex the amount of other real-world trading dropped by 61%, and the amount of coins that was transferred by other real world trading was down by 81%.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
Managing Bonds[edit | edit source]
Manage bonds for missing loot from the treasure map
Managing bonds during the availability of Portable Trader.
Selection screen for which package to pick during the 2014 RuneFest offer
Confirmation[edit | edit source]
Confirmation for redeeming a bond for Key tokens
Confirmation for redeeming a bond for missing loot from the treasure map
Confirmation for redeeming a bond for Portable Trader
Confirmation for redeeming a bond for RuneMetrics
Redeeming for the 2016 Summer of Adventure
Redeemed[edit | edit source]
Redeemed for Key tokens
Redeemed for a display name change.
Redeemed for the 2016 Summer of Adventure
Redeemed for missing loot from the treasure map
Redeemed for the bronze tier Premier Club
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 1 March 2021 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that was preventing the correct total number of Bonds owned by the user to be displayed.
- patch 26 October 2020 (Update):
- Text that appears when converting Bonds to RuneCoins has been updated.
- patch 25 November 2019 (Update):
- The View T&Cs option on the Redeem Bonds menu will now correctly navigate the player to the Jagex Terms and Conditions webpage.
- patch 12 June 2017 (Update):
- An issue regarding Ironmen converting untradeable bonds, causing loss of money (as they cannot trade tradeable Bonds), has been fixed.
- patch 18 August 2014 (Update):
- The bonds pouch now correctly opens if you do not have your inventory visible in Legacy mode.
- patch 24 February 2014 (Update):
- A reference to Treasure Hunter keys has been corrected in a bond’s description.
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- The description of Bonds on the Grand Exchange now fits correctly on the interface.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite being tradeable, bonds cannot be placed in the party chest at the Party Room, stored in the treasure chest from Carnillean Rising, or in a Beast of Burden; they may also not be staked at the Duel Arena or in Conquest, nor can they be disassembled or fed to a baby troll.
- When redeeming bonds for RuneFest, the room number displayed in the example is "#237". This is a reference to Stanley Kubrick's film The Shining.
- Redeeming bonds for RuneFest on an account without a verified email gives:
- Alongside not stacking in a bank, there is also no placeholder for a bond within the bank.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. "Bonds for Block N Load Steam key." RuneScape Customer Support.
- ^ Jagex. "Price Increase, Bonds." RuneScape Customer Support.
- ^ Minimum Wage. U.S. Department of Labor. (Archived from the original on 3 September 2020.)
- ^ Minimuim wages. Fair Work Ombudsman. (Archived from the original on 3 September 2020.)
- ^ LEI Nº 14.013, DE 10 DE JUNHO DE 2020 (Portuguese). National Press. 12 June 2020. (Archived from the original on 3 September 2020.)
- ^ BOLETÍN Número 219/2019 [Bulletin Number 219/2019] (Spanish). Government of Mexico. 17 December 2019. (Archived from the original on 3 September 2020.)
- ^ Minimum Wages Order 2020 pp. 8. Federal Government Gazette. 10 January 2020.*
- ^ 令和元年度 地域別最低賃金 答申状況 [State of Minimum Wage Report by Region] (Japanese). Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. 9 August 2019. (Archived from the original on 3 September 2020.)
- ^ National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates. GOV.UK. (Archived from the original on 3 September 2020.)
- ^ Amount of the hourly minimum wage. Government of the Netherlands. (Archived from the original on 3 September 2020.)
- ^ Minimum Wage by Province. Retail Council of Canada. (Archived from the original on 14 March 2021.)
- ^ Mod Pips. "Bonds – One Week In." 2 October 2013. RuneScape News.