Bolts are the ammunition used by crossbows. Most types of bolts are made using a combination of the Smithing and Fletching skills, the initial bolts being made with Smithing (each metal bar makes 50 unfinished bolts) and feathers being added with Fletching. Each bolt requires 1 feather. 10 bolts are made at once every 0.6 seconds, up to 15 sets in one go (150 bolts total).
Certain special bolts can only be obtained through other methods, such as monster drops or specialist shops.
Bolts may be used with crossbows that are lower level than themselves, but their damage will be capped at the crossbow's level. For example, if one were to use level 80 royal bolts with the level 50 rune crossbow, the bolts would perform as level 50 runite bolts.
Different types of bolts can be stored in a bolt pouch to conserve space. Bolts sometimes survive shots, so fired bolts can be picked up.
Types of bolts[edit | edit source]
Non-enchanted bolts[edit | edit source]
Smithable metal bolts can be enhanced by adding bolt tips, including those crafted from gems. These have a higher Damage stat, and a correspondingly raised minimum crossbow level needed to fire them with uncapped damage.
Tipping bolts tip 10 bolts at once, taking 1.2 seconds per set, and up to 60 sets can be made in one go (600 bolts in total).
|Red topaz bakriminel||709|
Note that the left hand column of the table above is the required Ranged level not the Tier of the weapon which may differ.
Enchanted bolts[edit | edit source]
Gem-tipped bolts can be further improved by enchantment, which raises both the damage and level requirement even further. This also gives them passive effects that can be triggered with auto attacks and abilities, with abilities consuming one bolt per activation. The chance of the special effect occurring is increased by 2% additively [source needed] upon the completion of the elite Seers' Village achievements, as well as by the Ranged cape perk, which increases the chance by 20% multiplicatively.[source needed]
|20||Opal (e)||36||192||Lucky lightning: +10% damage.|
|30||Pearl (e)||46||288||Sea curse: +15% more damage to enemies that are weak to water. Performs 15% less damage on enemies that are weak to fire. Stops enemies from running in PvP.|
|35||Jade (e)||N/A||336||Earth's fury: Stun the opponent for 4.8 seconds. Only Binds in PvP.|
|40||Topaz (e)||50||384||Down to earth: Reduce the opponent's magic level by 2 and damage by 1%. Caps at 10 levels and 5% damage.|
|50||Sapphire (e)||72||480||Clear mind: Steal 5% of the maximum prayer points from the opponent.|
|60||Emerald (e)||161||576||Magical poison: Poison the enemy for 4% of the player's weapon damage.|
|Ruby (e)||168||Blood forfeit: Deal damage worth 20% of the enemy’s life points, while also dealing 10% of the player's own life points to themselves. Damage dealt to players caps at 3,000.|
|70||Diamond (e)||373||672||Armour piercing: Hit with 100% accuracy and deal up to 15% more damage.|
|Dragon (e)||396||Dragon's breath: Hit the opponent a second time for 25% of the player's current attack as dragonfire. Dragons and those under dragonfire protection are immune.|
|80||Onyx (e)||7,617||768||Life leech: Heal up to 25% of damage potential (capping at 2,500) and dealing 25% more damage.|
|90||Ascendri (e)||9,875||902||Deathmark: Instantly provide 10% adrenaline and an additional 1% adrenaline from basic abilities for 15 seconds.|
Enchanted bakriminel bolts[edit | edit source]
Bakriminel bolts are tier 75 bolts fletched by from bloodwood logs. The unfinished bolts must be assembled with bakriminel bolt tips while standing close to the bloodwood tree that the logs were cut from, or the logs and unfinished bolts will disintegrate. They are especially damaging against mages in PvP with specific targeted attacks.
They can be enhanced by adding bolt tips from gems (turns them tier 85) and can be further improved by enchanting them (turns them tier 95). This cause them to lose their mage-targeting effects, but gain the same effects as gem-tipped metal bolts.
|99||Opal (e)||2,969||912||Lucky lightning: +10% damage.|
|Pearl (e)||942||Sea curse: +15% more damage to enemies that are weak to water. Performs 15% less damage on enemies that are weak to fire. Stops enemies from running in PvP.|
|Jade (e)||1,278||Earth's fury: Stun the opponent for 4.8 seconds. Only Binds in PvP.|
|Red topaz (e)||1,161||Down to earth: Reduce the opponents magic level by 2 and damage by 1%. Caps at 10 levels and 5% damage.|
|Sapphire (e)||1,938||Clear mind: Steal 5% of the player's maximum prayer points from the opponent.|
|Emerald (e)||3,361||Magical poison: Poison the enemy for 4% of the player's weapon damage.|
|Ruby (e)||2,698||Blood forfeit: Deal damage worth 20% of the enemy’s life points, while also dealing 10% of the player's life points to themselves. Damage dealt to players caps at 3,000.|
|Diamond (e)||2,875||Armour piercing: Hit with 100% accuracy and deal up to 15% more damage.|
|Dragonstone (e)||3,692||Dragon's breath: Hit the opponent a second time for 25% of the player's current attack as dragonfire. Dragons and those under dragonfire protection are immune.|
|Onyx (e)||10,172||Life leech: Heal up to 25% of damage potential (capping at 2,500) and dealing 25% more damage.|
|Hydrix (e)||12,370||Deathmark: Instantly provide 10% adrenaline and an additional 1% adrenaline from basic abilities for 15 seconds.|
Player-made bolts[edit | edit source]
- Silver bolts are much like other silver items, in that they are crafted using an appropriate mould and a furnace. Silver bolts are the only ranged weapons other than Blisterwood stakes that can be used effectively against vampyres.
- Kebbit bolts and Long kebbit bolts are fletched from Kebbit spikes and Long kebbit spikes respectively. They can only be used with the Hunter's crossbow.
- Ascension bolts are fletched from ascension shards which can be obtained as drops in varying numbers from members of the Order of Ascension.
- Fragment bolts are fletched from bronze bolts and ascension fragments which can be obtained as drops in varying numbers from members of the Order of Ascension.
Store-bought bolts[edit | edit source]
- Barbed bolts are made from Bronze bolts by attaching Barb bolt tips which can be purchased in the Ranging guild using Archery tickets.
- Broad-tipped bolts require 55 Slayer to use in addition to ranged requirements. They can be obtained from Slayer masters using Slayer reward points, or purchased unfinished from Slayer masters' shops using coins. The ability to complete these bolts using feathers must be obtained using Slayer reward points before they can be made usable.
- Bone bolts can be bought from Nardok's Bone Weapons shop, and are only usable with the Dorgeshuun crossbow and Zanik's crossbow.
Bolts obtained as drops[edit | edit source]
- Black bolts are obtained from Treasure Trails.
- Coral bolts are dropped by grotworms, and are usable only with the coral crossbow. Completion of the Song from the Depths quest is required.
- Royal bolts are dropped by the Queen Black Dragon.
- Bolt racks are obtained from the Barrows and are usable only with Karil's crossbow, Karil's pistol crossbow and Karil's off-hand pistol crossbow.
Bane bolts[edit | edit source]
Bane bolts are available after completion of the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest. They are made by casting Tune Bane Ore on Bane ore, smelting the ore, smithing the bars on the tempered anvil in Kethsi, and fletching them with Feathers. The Tune Bane Ore spell enhances the weapon to be more effective against a specific creature, depending on the item it is tuned with. There are four types of bane bolts:
- Abyssalbane bolts, used against Abyssal demons
- Basiliskbane bolts, used against Basilisks
- Dragonbane bolts, used against Dragons
- Wallasalkibane bolts, used against Wallasalkis
Hand cannon[edit | edit source]
The Hand cannon is also classed as a crossbow, and thus its shot are considered "bolts". However it fires at an average speed, but does more damage than a one-handed crossbow or dual-wielded crossbow. It can only fire Hand cannon shot, which can be obtained as a drop from the monsters at the Chaos Dwarf Battlefield. They can also be bought from the Grand Exchange.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 7 May 2019 (Update):
- The message "your ammunition will deal less damage than expected" will now only appear after 5 minutes or re-logging.
- patch 14 January 2013 (Update):
- An animation has been implemented for adding feathers to bolts and arrows.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Tipping bolts incorrectly shows that it takes 1.8 seconds per 10 bolts in-game, despite that it actually takes 1.2 seconds.
References[edit | edit source]