Black warlock (Hunter)
|Release date||21 November 2006 (Update)|
|Location(s)||Feldip Hunter Area, Anachronia|
|Examine||A black warlock. The air seems to distort wherever it passes.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Black warlock is a butterfly that players can capture with the Hunter skill at level 45 or above. Players can find Black warlocks at the Feldip Hunter area, west of the base camp in Anachronia and in the south-eastern area of Anachronia. They must wield a butterfly net or a magic butterfly net and have at least one butterfly jar (1 butterfly jar for each butterfly) in their inventory to catch them. All of these items are available for purchase in hunter stores, for example the shop in Yanille. Following an update on the 10 September 2013 catching a butterfly barehanded gives a chance of obtaining a Crystal triskelion fragment.
If hunting black warlocks to obtain Anachronia base camp resources, do not wield a butterfly net in order to catch them barehanded. Catching butterflies barehanded causes the player to catch and release the butterfly multiple times before it despawns. This allows the player to AFK the butterflies and obtain resources faster.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Hunter info[edit | edit source]
|Hunter XP||54 xp|
|Agility XP||−1 xp|
|Trap||Butterfly net or Magic butterfly net|
Hunting[edit | edit source]
After catching a Black warlock, players can either release them (via a right-click option) or use them on another player to boost their Strength by 20%. (the player you will use it on will need to have accept aid on). Black warlocks and other butterflies can also be caught using a morphic or volatile Sacred clay butterfly net. Morphic butterfly nets give double the original experience, and Volatile butterfly nets give 2.2 times. The Morphic and Volatile tools can be obtained as rewards from the minigame Stealing Creation.
An efficient method for capturing them effectively is to locate a spawn and stay by it. The butterflies respawn every 3 to 4 seconds, so by not moving a player can repeatedly capture and release the butterflies. There are spawns all over the Feldip Hunter area.
At level 95 Hunter and 90 Agility, the player can catch black warlocks barehanded. Doing this gives the player 475 Hunter experience and 125 Agility experience. The player's main hand must be empty - the only exception to this is the Enhanced yaktwee stick. Any item may be held in the off-hand. The player will follow the black warlock until it is caught. After the butterfly has been caught the player will release it, meaning that the butterfly cannot be kept. Following the release of the Land out of time update on 8 July 2019, Black Warlocks can now be caught barehanded repeatedly until they flee.
Using the following items and buffs will grant up to 500,000 hunter experience and 100,000 agility experience per hour at level 99 Hunter (barehanded):
- Enhanced yaktwee stick
- Volcanic trapper outfit, including the Hunter's outfit
- Supreme tracker aura
- Decorated hunter urn with an Urn enhancer
- Extreme hunter
- Clan avatar boost - 6%
- Wise 4 perk
- Arctic bear familiar
- Ring of metamorphosis
Loot[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Black warlock||1||Always[d 1]||546||42|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1 (m)||1||Rare[d 2]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2 (m)||1||Rare[d 2]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3 (m)||1||Rare[d 2]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Compacted hides||1||Uncommon[d 3]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Reinforced dinosaur pelt||1||1/1000[d 3][d 4]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Dinosaur rib bone||1||1/1000[d 3][d 4]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
- ^ Must have at least one empty butterfly jar in player's inventory
- ^ a b c Triskelion fragments are dropped in order.
- ^ a b c Only on Anachronia
- ^ a b Jagex. Mod Daze's Twitter account. 25 July 2019. (Archived from the original on 25 July 2019.)
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 10 September 2013 (Update):
- The chance for a crystal triskelion key fragment to drop has been added to the following: the Skeletal horror; Barrows reward chest; catching any butterfly bare-handed.
- patch 4 March 2013 (Update):
- You will now try and catch a butterfly with your hands if you have your butterfly net sheathed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Previously, when trying to catch them without the proper equipment or level, the message was cut off in the middle of the word "agility".
- Following an update on 8 July 2019, barehanded catching is now possible with an enhanced yaktwee stick.
|Memorial to Guthix|