The black hand is a large limb that emerges from a portal during the fights with Rabid Jack (in Pieces of Hate), Seiryu the Azure Serpent (in the Temple of Aminishi), the Black stone dragon (in the Dragonkin Laboratory), and The Ambassador (in The Shadow Reef). It is believed to be made from black stone.
Rabid Jack describes the hand as belonging to an ancient and powerful entity, implied to be Xau-Tak. During the fight with Rabid Jack at Ulthven Kreath, the black hand will occasionally target and attempt to strike the player. If struck by the black hand, the player will be dealt 5,000 - 10,000 damage. After the defeat of Rabid Jack, the black hand is sealed away after the portal is blocked with a large stone structure.
In the Temple of Aminishi, it appears from a black portal whenever Seiryu's health is depleted and the black crystals on his back become attackable. The hand creates shadow enigmas, which heal the crystals on Seiryu's back if they are able to reach him.
Four of these hands appear in the fight against the black stone dragon when she reaches 520,000 health and must be destroyed in order to progress the fight. They attack with melee, however, they occasionally beckon the black stone dragon to imbue it with energy, launching a powerful magic attack and sending shadow hands towards nearby players.
Twelve of these hands are summoned by Kranon when he reaches 400,000 health to subdue Seiryu. One of these twelve hands also attempts to heal Kranon by sending white orbs that heal 2,500 damage each. Standing between them converts it into a black orb which damages the player. The active hands rotate clockwise after sending three orbs.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 3 August 2020 (Update):
- Defence of hands in the Dragonkin Laboratory have been slightly reduced.
- update 13 August 2018 (Update):
- Added to game (Dragonkin Laboratory variant).
- Damage taken in story mode of elite dungeons was reduced from 33% of normal mode to 10% in an update on the 15th of October 2018.
- The Dragonkin Laboratory black hands are the only variant of all black hands encountered that are attackable by players.
- The examine info is loosely based on the quote “Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” by Friedrich Nietzsche.
- ^ Umbral Diplomacy, written by The Ambassador, "The Shadow Reef", RuneScape. "I felt His presence in the shadows. He reached out a hand forged of black stone and He tore the chains from my soul. Then He laid the hand upon my heart and cut a line down my chest. It should have hurt, but there was no pain, only purpose. I reached inside my own chest and I pulled free my heart, for I did not need it. I took out my lungs, because I was no longer bound to the air. I placed inside me a piece of his world, because only then can I truly be free."
- ^ Kalibath's journal, written by Kalibath, RuneScape. "The one thing Tarshak is good for is talking, and everything he has said has sickened me on one level or another. He has chased the V User across worlds without end, always failing due to his incompetence. And always he finds mortals bowing and scraping before 'gods' that would slaughter them all to get access to the Stone for a bare instant. He has seen people worshipping giant pigs, giant plants and giant rocks. He has seen them throw their own children into living flames. He has seen them engage in fights to the death with combatants in the billions. He has seen them welcome the obsidian hand of death around their throat with a smile."