|Release||13 August 2001 (Update)|
|Examine||Ew, it's a pile of bones. Bury for Prayer XP.|
|High alch||1 coin|
|Low alch||1 coin|
|Exchange||156 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
Big bones are items associated with the Prayer skill. They are an intermediate level bone, although they are arguably the best training option for free-to-play. Big bones give 15 experience points when buried normally. For members, when used in a player-owned house on the gilded altar big bones grant 37.5 experience, with one incense burner lit they will grant 45 experience, and with both incense burners lit they produce 52.5 experience. The maximum is when they are worshipped at the Ectofuntus, granting 60 experience each, although this is often considered to be far more tedious than necessary. They also give 60 experience when used on an altar in Daemonheim while Dungeoneering.
When buried normally these bones give over three times as much experience as bones, making big bones an extremely popular method of training Prayer in free-to-play. They are usually dropped by abnormally large monsters, such as any type of giant, including giant frogs, and ogres. The only free-to-play monsters that drop big bones are hill giants, moss giants, giant skeletons, ice giants, fire giants, mountain trolls, cyclopes and the cyclossus, along with the bovimastyx and other large creatures of Daemonheim.
Members can get big bones from the 'gamble' option when purchasing rewards at the Soul Wars arena, but it is not likely to get them. If the player does get them, they will likely get them in quantities of 60 or more. They can also get them from the Rare Drop Table, ranging from 68 to 150 at a time from any monster accessing the table, or from Seren spirits.
Prayer info[edit | edit source]
|Prayer XP||15 xp|
Cost and XP analysis[edit | edit source]
|Bury||Gilded altar[a 1],
Chaos Temple, or
burying with powder of burials
|XP||15||52.5||60||67.5 (Total)||37.5 (Prayer) + 30 (FM)|
|GP/XP||−10.4||−3||−2.6||−2.3 (Total)||−4.2 (Prayer) or −5.2 (FM)|
A player choosing to use big bones all the way from 1-99 Prayer, using a gilded altar with lit burners and no other experience boosts, would, if all the bones were bought at the current medium price on the Grand Exchange, spend 38,730,880.69.
- Using the Ectofuntus would cost 33,889,520.6, but would take far longer to do. Simply burying the bones would cost 135,558,082.4.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- For members who have completed the Biohazard quest, there is an incredibly fast way to get big bones, which is even faster with 51 Magic. In the Training Ground North of Ardougne, many players train Ranged quickly, so they leave the big bones from the ogres on the ground. Enough ogres are killed that there will be a massive supply of big bones. Another quick way is to kill the cyclopes on the top floor of the Warriors' Guild. Using the multi-token option will allow you to have 2 noted big bones per kill.
- For free-to-play players, the fastest way to get big bones is from hill giants located in the Edgeville Dungeon. In order to get easy access to these hill giants, the player needs a brass key which can be found inside the Edgeville Dungeon or bought from the Grand Exchange.
- The additional Resource Dungeon added on 19 July 2010 created even more hill giant spawns and also limpwurt root spawns. This requires 20 Dungeoneering to enter.
Products[edit | edit source]
Item spawns[edit | edit source]
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Bones and remains|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||93.4%|
Achievement[edit | edit source]
- Bury All ( 20) – Manually bury or scatter each of the listed bones and ashes.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 4 April 2011 (Update):
- Players will no longer be restricted when picking up these bones after trading.
29 March 2004 (
- The examine text of various bones were changed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Shades and zombies from historical random events could drop over 10 big bones a time.
- There was a glitch that did not allow the player to pick up big bones, even with an empty inventory. "You cannot take that at the moment" would appear in the chatbox when the player tried to pick up big bones. Some players were not able to pick up only big bones, but others were not allowed to pick up any drops. The glitch also prevented players from accessing the Grand Exchange, joining clans, and looking at their friends list. It was supposedly caused by a (then) new anti-bot protection by Jagex that made detected botters unable to pick up items. It was possible to get rid of the glitch by logging out, waiting for a few moments and logging back in. The glitch has been fixed.