|Release||13 August 2001 (Update)|
|High alch||1 coin|
|Low alch||1 coin|
|Ew, it's a pile of bones. Bury for Prayer XP.|
|Exchange||203 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Big bones are items associated with the Prayer skill. They are an intermediate level bone, although they are arguably the best training option for free-to-play. Big bones give 15 experience points when buried normally. For members, when used in a player-owned house on the gilded altar big bones grant 37.5 experience, with one incense burner lit they will grant 45 experience, and with both incense burners lit they produce 52.5 experience. The maximum is when they are worshipped at the Ectofuntus, granting 60 experience each, although this is often considered to be far more tedious than necessary. They also give 60 experience when used on an altar in Daemonheim while Dungeoneering.
When buried normally these bones give over three times as much experience as bones, making big bones an extremely popular method of training Prayer in free-to-play. They are usually dropped by abnormally large monsters, such as any type of giant, including giant frogs, and ogres. The only free-to-play monsters that drop big bones are hill giants, moss giants, giant skeletons, ice giants, fire giants, mountain trolls, cyclopes and the cyclossus, along with the mastyxes and other large creatures of Daemonheim.
Members can get big bones from the 'gamble' option when purchasing rewards at the Soul Wars arena, but it is not likely to get them. If the player does get them, they will likely get them in quantities of 60 or more. They can also get them from the Rare Drop Table, ranging from 150-500 at a time from any monster eligible for it.
Item spawns[edit | edit source]
Cost and XP Analysis[edit | edit source]
|Bury||Gilded altar[a 1] or
|XP||15||52.5||60||67.5 (Total)||37.5 (Prayer) + 30 (FM)|
|GP/XP||-13.5||-3.9||-3.4||-3 (Total)||-5.4 (Prayer) or -6.8 (FM)|
A player choosing to use big bones all the way from 1-99 Prayer, using a gilded altar with lit burners and no other experience boosts, would, if all the bones were bought at the current medium price on the Grand Exchange, spend 50,399,799.87.
- Additionally the first two bones would take them straight to level 2 Prayer.
- Using the Ectofuntus would cost 44,099,824.88, but would take far longer to do. Simply burying the bones would cost 176,399,299.53.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- For members who have completed the Biohazard quest, there is an incredibly fast way to get big bones, which is even faster with 51 Magic. In the Training Ground North of Ardougne, many players train Ranged quickly, so they leave the big bones from the ogres on the ground. Enough ogres are killed that there will be a massive supply of big bones. Another quick way is to kill the cyclopes on the top floor of the Warriors' Guild. Using the multi-token option will allow you to have 2 noted big bones per kill.
- For free-to-play players, the fastest way to get big bones is from hill giants located in the Edgeville Dungeon. In order to get easy access to these hill giants, the player needs a brass key which can be found inside the Edgeville Dungeon or bought from the Grand Exchange.
- Players could also just buy the bones themselves off the Grand Exchange.
- The additional Resource Dungeon added on 19 July 2010 created even more hill giant spawns and also limpwurt root spawns. This requires 20 Dungeoneering to enter.
- It is possible to bury bones in combat just as you swing your weapon. If timed right, there will be no usual burying animation and the weapon swing will not be interrupted. This is useful while training in crowded areas, such as at the hill giants and moss giants.
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
|Bloodveld||61; 68; 92||4 (noted)||16/128|
|Cave horror (elite)||86||1||Always|
|Cave horror||77||13–17 (noted)||Common|
|Chaos Elemental F2P||305||20||Common||N/A|
|Chaos Elemental P2P||305||3||Common|
|Chest (Zanik)||52||1||Very rare[dr 1]||N/A|
|Cyclops||57; 63; 68; 91||1; 2||Always|
|Dark beast (elite)||114||1||Always|
|Falador resource bundle||N/A||1||Unknown||N/A|
|Ferocious barbarian spirit||106||10 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Giant Sea Snake||63||1||Always|
|Giant mole||230||1||Always[dr 1]|
|Giant skeleton (Shadow Dungeon)||84||1||Always|
|Giant skeleton (Tarn's Lair)||84||1||Always|
|Guthixian moss giant||68||1||Always|
|Ice troll female||68||1||Always|
|Ice troll grunt||68||1||Always|
|Ice troll male||68||1||Always|
|Ice troll runt||53||1||Always|
|Ice troll||84; 89||1||Always|
|Jungle horror||67||1 (noted)||Common|
|Moss giant||28; 51; 61||1||Always|
|Mutated bloodveld||91; 95||1||Always|
|Nail beast||42; 84; 98||1||Always|
|Ogre||56; 67; 86||1||Always|
|Poorly Cooked Karambwan||1; 5; 11; 15; 21; 25; 30; 35||1||Always|
|Rare drop table||?||150 (noted)||Uncommon||N/A|
|Rare drop table||?||68–82 (noted)||2/64||N/A|
|Sea Snake Young||63||1||Always|
|Skeleton (Uncharted Isles)||93||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Skeleton Mage||19; 49||3–4||Rare[dr 1]|
|Small parcel||N/A||5 (noted)||Common||N/A|
|Suqah||73; 74; 79||1||Always|
|Terror dog||61; 65||1||Always[dr 1]|
|TokTz-Ket-Dill (monster)||64; 100||1||Always|
|Tormented soul (Uncharted Isles)||93||1–2 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Troll general (Troll Invasion)||11; 21; 30; 40; 50; 60; 70||1||Always|
|Unspeakable horror (elite)||112||1||Always|
|Unspeakable horror (elite)||112||22–28 (noted)||Common|
|Unspeakable horror||105||22–28 (noted)||Common|
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Bones and remains|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||93.4%|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 4 April 2011 (Update):
- Players will no longer be restricted when picking up these bones after trading.
29 March 2004 (
- The examine text of various bones were changed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Shades and zombies from historical random events could drop over 10 big bones a time.
- There was a glitch that did not allow the player to pick up big bones, even with an empty inventory. "You cannot take that at the moment" would appear in the chatbox when the player tried to pick up big bones. Some players were not able to pick up only big bones, but others were not allowed to pick up any drops. The glitch also prevented players from accessing the Grand Exchange, joining clans, and looking at their friends list. It is supposedly caused by a new anti-bot protection by Jagex that makes detected botters not able to pick up items. It is possible to get rid of the glitch by logging out, waiting for a few moments and logging back in. The glitch is fixed.