Big Chompy Bird Hunting
|Big Chompy Bird Hunting (#52)|
|Release date||18 May 2004 (Update)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
Rantz the ogre needs to feed his demanding children, Fycie and Bugs, so he wants to go Big Chompy Bird hunting. Problem is, he's all fingers and thumbs when it comes to making ogre arrows.
Could someone please give him a hand?
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Rantz, in eastern Feldip Hills.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat|
Chompies[edit | edit source]
Talk to Rantz, located on the far eastern region of the Feldip Hills (look for ; east of fairy ring aks). He is hungry and wants you to help him make some 'stabbers', better known as ogre arrows, so he can hunt down some chompy birds.
The ogre arrows need to be made by the player; obtaining them from another player, by any method whatsoever, will not work.
Lock...[edit | edit source]
- Chop down a few achey trees to obtain its logs (you'll need around 5 logs – Rantz himself wants 6 arrows and you will probably want a few of your own).
- Right-click the logs and click craft to produce some ogre arrow shafts.
- Use feathers on the shafts to produce flighted ogre arrows. You need 4 feathers per arrow; a little over 100 should be sufficient. You can enter the cave just north of Rantz and buy 25 feathers for 50 coins from Fycie.
The tips are carved out of wolf bones:
- Kill a few wolves (level 42) in the crater to the southwest of Rantz for wolf bones; you may need 4-6 of them. The bones that spawn on the ground do not work.
- Right click on the wolf bones, then choose "craft wolf bones" to produce wolf bone arrowheads (produces 4 arrowheads per bone).
- Use the tips on the flighted shafts to create ogre arrows.
Return and talk to Rantz, who plucks out 6 'stabbers' from your inventory.
...Stock...[edit | edit source]
Now that you have found a way to kill chompy birds, you need to next collect bait to hunt them onto convenient ground. Rantz tells you about the swamp toads that his children like to play with. Ask Rantz all of the questions that are listed, or else you won't be able to proceed.
Enter the cave entrance north of Rantz. Speak to Rantz's children, Fycie and Bugs in the cave; they will inform you that they use ogre bellows to bloat up toads, by filling it up with swamp gas. Unfortunately, their father locked up the bellows in the chest in the north-western corner.
The chest is closed and weighted shut with a large rock; attempt to unlock the locked chest. Unsuccessful attempts will reduce your Strength by 1, although it is not difficult. Once you have pushed the boulder off the chest, search it to retrieve the ogre bellows.
Head back to where you killed the wolves to find the swamp and several toads.
- Use the ogre bellows on a swamp toad – it tells you that the air is too thin.
- Use the bellows on the swamp bubbles in the swamp, at the southern or eastern end of the swamp pond. You get three shots with the gas filled bellows. It may be refilled, if required.
- Use the ogre bellows on a toad again to get a bloated toad in your inventory. Only 3 toads may be carried at once. If you were to capture a fourth toad, one of your toads in your inventory would escape.
...and two smoking barrels[edit | edit source]
Tell Rantz you have placed the bait. Don't stay too close to the bait, but make sure it is in visible range. Occasionally, waiting too long results in the bait disappearing. Continue placing the bait until you have no more left. On a successful lure, a chompy bird appears; Rantz will take a long shot at it, but misses. He starts making excuses, saying that the arrows don't fly straight.
Talk to Rantz and offer to help shoot for him. He will agree and give you a spare ogre bow. If the bird is still around, shoot it, otherwise head back down to the clearing and place another toad (it doesn't have to be on the exact tile indicated at first).
If the bird doesn't appear or it flies away before you can kill it, keep placing bloated toads to lure the chompies back. Once you kill a chompy, pluck the carcass and take the raw chompy back to Rantz. He now wants you to cook it for his family as well.
Thanksgiving[edit | edit source]
Rantz will name a special ingredient that he wants the bird to be cooked with. He will also tell you to ask the children what they would like the bird seasoned with. Go into the cave and ask both Fycie and Bugs what they want the chompy seasoned with. In all, you will need three different ingredients.
- It's different from player to player what the ogres want on the chompy. Below are the locations of possible ingredients.
- Onion: To the west of the swamp where you get the bloated toads, planted near the tomato on a stool, there's a fire and some ogres, right around there. You need to pick them from the ground, because they don't appear on the minimap.
- Doogle leaf: West of onion spawn, in between the fungus (red dot on minimap).
- Tomato: West of the swamp on a stool, in the same area as the onions (red dot on minimap).
- Cabbage: On the ground, not too far from the tomatoes.
- Equa leaf: You can get this south-east of Rantz, east of the place you placed your toad for the bait. Equa leaves are small and green so sometimes they can be hard to see, a way to get around this is to use the red dots on your minimap to pin point the location of the equa leaves.
- Potato: You can pick a potato from a potato plant south-east of Rantz, right beside the equa leaf.
Use the bird on the ogre spit-roast north of Rantz and all three ingredients will automatically be topped up on the bird. Present Rantz with his delicious seasoned chompy bird.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points
- 262 experience
- 1,470 experience
- 735 experience
- Ogre bow
- Ability to fletch ogre arrows
- Ability to cook chompy birds and earn ogre hats
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Big Chompy Bird Hunting ( 0) – Complete this Intermediate quest.
- Master Bogreman ( 10) – Unlock the ogre bowman hat by killing 30 chompy birds. (X/30)
- Chompy Massacre ( 50) – Kill chompy birds. (X/4,000)
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Big Chompy Bird Hunting is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Mourning's End Part I
- Recipe for Disaster
- Recipe for Disaster: Freeing Skrach Uglogwee
- Recipe for Disaster: Freeing the Lumbridge Sage
- Zogre Flesh Eaters
- 'Phite Club
- A Clockwork Syringe
- As a First Resort
- Full completion of Azzanadra's Quest
- Full completion of Battle of the Monolith (miniquest)
- Cabin Fever
- Children of Mah
- City of Senntisten
- Crocodile Tears
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Dealing with Scabaras
- Desperate Measures
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Do No Evil
- Eye of Het I (miniquest)
- Eye of Het II (miniquest)
- Fate of the Gods
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Full completion of Hero's Welcome
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Mourning's End Part II
- Full completion of Nadir (saga)
- Nomad's Elegy
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Finale
- Full completion of Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Fortunes
- One of a Kind
- Our Man in the North
- Pieces of Hate
- Plague's End
- Rag and Bone Man/Wish list
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Recipe for Disaster: Defeating the Culinaromancer
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- Rocking Out
- Rum Deal
- Sins of the Father
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad
- The Great Brain Robbery
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- Within the Light
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Big Chompy Bird Hunting|
|Art & Graphics|
|Quality assurance||Mod Mark|
|Quest Help||Emma V|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 19 April 2011 (Update):
- The starting point for Big Chompy Bird Hunting has been updated to state east of the swamp pool, instead of north.
- patch 25 March 2009 (Update):
- Code dealing with Rantz and the Big Chompy Bird Hunting quest have now been properly fixed.