Berserk is an ultimate Strength ability. For 20.4 seconds (34 game ticks), all melee damage dealt by the player, excluding bleeds or Onslaught, is doubled and damage taken from monsters and other players is increased by 50%.
Berserk is typically used in situations where the user takes minimal or no damage from an enemy. It is commonly used at the start of a boss encounter and accompanied with an adrenaline gaining potion and/or Limitless to quickly dump threshold abilities. The player will usually hit the unmodified damage cap (10,000 and 12,000 respectively for non-critical and critical hits) in most cases, which can be boosted further with special attacks such as Icy Tempest from the Dark Shard of Leng and other damage modifiers.
However, it is also important to note that the player will take 1.5x as much damage as they normally would, which includes both combat and soft typeless attacks. Hard typeless attacks do not deal increased damage to a player under the effects of Berserk. Prayer flicking is important when using Berserk, especially against enemies that can deal high damage.
In a PvP situation, if the player activates Berserk and goes after anyone other than their aggressor (if applicable), Berserk's effects will automatically be removed to prevent them from easily killing other players.
The Zaros godsword's special attack, Blackhole, is separate from Berserk and does not share the same cooldown as it. However, if both are active by the user at the same time, Berserk overrides Blackhole.
Using Greater Flurry decreases the cooldown of Berserk by 1.2 seconds for every successful hit regardless of how many targets are hit by it. As it consists of 4 hits, it can shorten Berserk's cooldown by 4.8 seconds.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- Berserk will no longer apply a 50% armour reduction for the duration it is active.
- patch 26 May 2015 (Update):
- Metamorphosis and Berserk will now disable themselves when entering combat against another player in the Wilderness.
- patch 28 July 2014 (Update):
- The Berserk ability effect has been updated to clear when changing between Legacy and EoC.
- patch 4 June 2013 (Update):
- The Berserk ability now increases damage taken by players from NPCs by 50%, up from no increased damage. Players using Berserk also now only receive an additional 50% damage from players, down from 100%.
- patch 2 April 2013 (Update):
- The level required for Berserk on the Skill Advance Guide has been corrected.
- During the Evolution of Combat beta Berserk initially had a duration of 10 seconds, which was later increased to 30 seconds near release. However, the duration was quickly lowered down to 20 seconds because players in the beta found out it was possible to use it with a second ultimate ability and instantly kill players. While it is still technically possible to gain enough adrenaline to use an ultimate before Berserk runs out, the lower duration makes it significantly more challenging to use thresholds alongside the ultimate.