|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|Cooldown||60 seconds (100 ticks)|
|Harness your adrenaline to increase melee damage dealt by 100% for 20 seconds. Also increases all damage taken by 50%.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Berserk is an ultimate Strength ability. For 20.4 seconds (34 game ticks), all melee damage dealt by the player, excluding bleeds or Onslaught, is doubled and damage taken from monsters and other players is increased by 50%.
Berserk significantly increases DPS; however, players should be careful if they are receiving high damage themselves, as the damage could potentially be increased towards fatal levels. With Berserk and high levelled equipment, prayer and potions, one can hit up to 10,000 (or 12,000 on criticals) against monsters.
In PvP situations, if the player uses Berserk and attempts to land the first strike on someone who has not attacked them yet, then its effects are immediately removed.
Berserk does not increase damage from "hard" typeless damage (typeless damage that cannot be reduced by defence abilities), including self-inflicted damage like from Blood Tendrils, but it does for "soft" typeless damage.
The Magic equivalent of this ability is Metamorphosis. Metamorphosis increases the player's magic attacks by 62.5% and only lasts for 15 seconds, but it does not result in extra damage from enemies.
The Zaros godsword's Blackhole special attack is the static version of Berserk. Unlike Metamorphosis and its static variant Sunshine, the two abilities do not share the same cooldown. However, Berserk's effects will take priority over Blackhole should both be in effect.
Successful hits from Greater Flurry decreases the cooldown of Berserk by 1.2 seconds, up to a total of 4.8 seconds as the ability hits four times.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- Berserk will no longer apply a 50% armour reduction for the duration it is active.
- patch 26 May 2015 (Update):
- Metamorphosis and Berserk will now disable themselves when entering combat against another player in the Wilderness.
- patch 28 July 2014 (Update):
- The Berserk ability effect has been updated to clear when changing between Legacy and EoC.
- patch 4 June 2013 (Update):
- The Berserk ability now increases damage taken by players from NPCs by 50%, up from no increased damage. Players using Berserk also now only receive an additional 50% damage from players, down from 100%.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of the 4 June 2013 update, Berserk has been tweaked to enable NPCs to deal more damage against players. It now also only increases damage taken by 50% instead of 100%. Before that, it used to increase all damage dealt, but also all damage received, by 100% for 20 seconds also reducing armour rating by 50%.
- Before the 25 January 2016 update, Berserk reduced the user's armour rating by 50%.
- During the Evolution of Combat beta Berserk initially had a duration of 10 seconds, which was later increased to 30 seconds near release. However, the duration was quickly lowered down to 20 seconds because players in the beta found out it was possible to use it with a second ultimate ability and instantly kill players. While it is still technically possible to gain enough adrenaline to use an ultimate before Berserk runs out, the lower duration makes it significantly more challenging to use thresholds alongside the ultimate.