Before The Wilderness
Before The Wilderness is an unreleased RuneScape expansion that was due to be released in September 2017, after Menaphos. However, the content itself was never finished and the expansion model was replaced with Unfinished Business.
Publicly available Fukong Interactive Entertainment documents give some idea as to what the Forinthry expansion may have entailed:
|“||The update is expected to be in the third quarter of 2017. Roughly, the gameplay is exploring the knowledge of ancient gods and building your own city. Thee purpose is to focus the player’s attention on forming alliance forces, establishing their own solid position, transporting resources back and forth, equip the army, protect trade routes, etc. It also includes in-depth content that revolves around the player discovering hidden treasures, lost secrets, searching for collections, etc.||”|
Known Information[edit | edit source]
Information has been revealed through RuneScape - The First 20 Years, uploads to Artstation by Jagex artists, and comments made by Jagex Moderators on Discord.
- Graphically updated GWD1 Generals - During a livestream Jagex showed updated models of the God Wars Dungeon generals and stated that they had created them for Expansion 2. However, players did not like the new models and therefore they were not implemented. At RuneFest 2017 the Lore Council explained the makeup of the four factions during the God Wars, this information was likely initially created for Before the Wilderness. The Invention batch 2 update may have been salvaged from this expansion due to the planned Invention character.
- Ideas re-used for Archaeology - Mod Rowley has stated that despite Archaeology drawing upon the God Wars, it will not be using scrapped content from Expansion 2. However, in 'RuneScape: The First 20 Years' it is stated that concept art created for a Before The Wilderness Zamorakian Fortress was re-used for the Infernal Source. Mod Raven also said on the RuneScape Discord "I did not come up with expansion 2.
- Re-polling - Since the cancellation of this expansion, Jagex has polled similar ideas to the player base which have had very positive responses. This idea has been seen in two forms: going back in time to Forinthry during the God Wars, and reclaiming the Wilderness in the modern day. Both of which were extremely popular in the relevant polls.
- Player Owned Town - Mod Raven also said on the RuneScape Discord "I did not come up with expansion 2. I actually opposed it because there was another idea that the team at the time was inspired around and the expansion 2 idea sort of came out of nowhere. The player owned towns wasn't a think working with other players, but it was a bit more involved than say ports. It was a bit church of you I guess, but church of you is just a meaningless statement really."
- Weather - On the computer screen that shows the image of the Wilderness map, four concepts arts can be seen that show the artwork thing but with different seasons. This may have been Weather, which is another update that was announced for 2017.
- God Wars Dungeon - RuneScape: The First 20 Years reveals that Before The Wilderness would have included a God Wars Dungeon.
- Slayer Monsters
- Lore content
- Other - Creating alliances, transporting resources, equipping an army, protecting trade routes, and establishing a solid position.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Image of Lucien on the right was first created for Before The Wilderness, as stated in RuneScape - The First 20 Years.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Raven. Discord comment. Discord. 21 April 2020. "Expansion 2 had been revitalising forinthry, but it was a MASSIVE undertaking. We had some cool ideas for it, one that I was really excited by and keep re-suggesting lol. But it was a massive massive job and frankly expansions just weren't the model that players wanted (even ignoring the specific expansion we launched, the response to expansions and the knock on effect on development was clearly not what players wanted despite them saying otherwise previously)."*
- ^ [https://archive.ph/CqaFj 老树焕新芽，英国顶级老牌游戏厂商 Jagex 联 姻中国资本，借电子竞技和手游化迸发发展火花 ——富控互动（600634）深度报告]. 2017 年 07 月 18 日. (Archived from the original on 3 June 2021.) "该更新预计将于 2017 三季度，玩法大致为探索古老的神的知识并打造自己的城 池，目的是将玩家注意力集中在组建联盟武装力量、建立自己的稳固地位、来回 地运送资源、装备军队、保护贸易路线等。还包括深入内容，围绕着玩家挖掘埋 藏的宝藏和失去的秘密、寻找藏品等。"
- ^ Mod Rowley. No expansion 2 content reused for Archaeology. 21 April 2020. "Nothing from expansion 2 in Arch, no"*
- ^ Mod Raven. Mod Raven commenting on this content idea. 12 June 2020. "I did not come up with expansion 2. I actually opposed it because there was another idea that the team at the time was inspired around and the expansion 2 idea sort of came out of nowhere. The player owned towns wasn't a think working with other players, but it was a bit more involved than say ports. It was a bit church of you I guess, but church of you is just a meaningless statement really."*