|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|Cooldown||60 seconds (100 ticks)|
|Summon an impenetrable dome of shields.
|Infobox • Talk page|
Barricade is an ultimate Defence ability that requires a shield to activate. For up to 10 seconds, the user is immune to all damage, including all typeless damage (both soft and hard), unless the player receives an attack that disables defensive abilities. It does not prevent stuns, but the damage associated with the stunning attacks is negated.
The amount of time Barricade is active scales with the level of the shield or defender equipped; this duration varies from 4.8 seconds (8 game ticks) with a level 1 shield and 10.2 seconds (17 game ticks) with a level 90 shield. For every 10 levels of shield, one extra tick is added to the duration.
If activated with a defender, the defender's level in regard to calculating Barricade's duration is halved. For example, the Kalphite defender is a level 90 defender but acts like a level 45 shield and it is the level 45 that is used to determine the length of Barricade's duration.
If the shield or defender is unequipped or switched to a different shield or defender (even to a second copy of the same item) while Barricade is still active, the ability is cancelled immediately.
The Turtling perk extends the duration of this ability in exchange for increasing its cooldown, up to a 13.8 second duration and a 84 second cooldown.
The Malletops perk from the Anachronia Dinosaur Farm extends the duration of Barricade by 1.8 seconds per tier, and stacks with the Turtling perk, offering an additional 3.6 seconds at the maximum tier of 2. Activating this requires a Farming level of 117 and two large dinosaur pens with at least one elder Malletops each. Both these pens should have a farm totem on them. The dinosaurs can be obtained from the Grand Exchange by purchasing an unchecked malletops egg or through Big Game Hunter.
Duration and Cooldown[edit | edit source]
The level of shield, rank of Turtling perk, and the number Malletops perks at the Anachronia Dinosaur Farm affect the duration of Barricade. The cooldown is affected by the rank of the Turtling perk.
|Shield||Active perks||Barricade duration||Barricade cooldown|
|Level 1 shield (e.g. Bronze kiteshield)||None||4.8 seconds||60 seconds|
|Level 90 shield (e.g. Malevolent kiteshield)||None||10.2 seconds||60 seconds|
|Turtling 4||13.8 seconds||84 seconds|
|Turtling 4, 1 x Malletops perk||15.6 seconds||84 seconds|
|Turtling 4, 2 x Malletops perk||17.4 seconds at maximum||84 seconds|
|Level 80 defender (e.g. Ancient defender)
Level 90 defender (e.g. Kalphite defender)
|None||7.2 seconds||60 seconds|
|Turtling 4||9.6 seconds||84 seconds|
|Turtling 4, 1 x Malletops perk||11.4 seconds||84 seconds|
|Turtling 4, 2 x Malletops perk||13.2 seconds at maximum||84 seconds|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- update 25 November 2019 (Update):
- The Barricade ability's duration can now be extended using the Malletops perk from the Ranch Out of Time.
- patch 11 March 2019 (Update):
- The following message now gets shown once and then filtered for 10 seconds: "Barricade blocks all damage!"
- patch 8 February 2016 (Update):
- The Barricade ability’s up-time once again displays correctly on the buff bar when active.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to 16 May 2016, Barricade had a static timer of 10 seconds regardless of the tier of the shield used. It also used to be able to block all damage from Heal Other or Heal Group allow players to give other players free heals at the cost of 100% adrenaline.
- Due to player feedback after this change, Jagex eventually reverted this change, simply adding a cooldown timer on Heal Other/Group instead.