Barbarian Fishing is a special barbarian method of Fishing. It can be learned by members, requiring level 48 Fishing, level 15 Agility, and level 35 Strength, by speaking to Otto Godblessed in his home near Baxtorian Falls.
Quick guide[edit | edit source]
- Travel to Otto's house by using a games necklace and selecting Barbarian Outpost, then go south and slightly to the west until you reach his house
- Talk to Otto after you completed a Bow fire, and he will teach you Barbarian Fishing with a heavy fishing rod.
- Search the bed in Otto's cabin and you will find a Barbarian rod (Heavy fishing rod)
- You will need fishing bait or feathers as well.
- Catch a few fishes.
- Right click any of the caught fish and Gut one of them to obtain roe, which is needed for the herblore part of the training.
- Talk to Otto again, and he will explain bare-handed fishing.
- Teleport to Catherby and find a harpoon fishing spot along the beach and catch a fish.
- Go back and talk to Otto.
Fishing with a heavy rod[edit | edit source]
First, he instructs the player on heavy rod fishing. Heavy rod fishing requires a barbarian rod (found under Otto's bed) and any type of bait, as well as a knife to gut the fish. The leaping fish obtained can be used with a knife to obtain roe and caviar for use in the Herblore skill, and catching them gives small amounts of experience in strength and agility. The fish that can be caught include:
Fishing bare-handed[edit | edit source]
After this, the player can learn how to fish tuna, swordfish, and sharks at any of the appropriate fishing spots without a harpoon. Using this method requires a higher Fishing level, as well as a Strength level equivalent to the Fishing level needed to catch the fish normally. However, it gives only small amounts of Strength experience.
When catching swordfish via barbarian methods, tuna will be caught along with swordfish if the player has the required levels for both. If the player has the required strength level, they will by default catch via the barbarian method. If a player would like to catch fish using a harpoon, for example if they have the required level to bare-hand catch tuna but not swordfish, they will have to bring a second harpoon in their inventory or alternatively wield a Barb-tail harpoon. They may also return to Otto and tell him that they wish to revert to the previous fishing style. He will respond "So be it" and the player will be able to fish with the harpoon in their Tool belt again. Bare-handed fishing can be toggled in the settings menu under 'Gathering Skills".
|96||76||Raw baron shark||110||11|
Tips[edit | edit source]
When heavy rod fishing, bring the rod, fishing bait or feathers (unless they have unlocked the prawn perk to fly fish without using feathers), and a knife (optional), go to the fishing spots, and catch a full inventory of fish. Dragging the fish to empty slots on an Action bar allows players to quickly drop them using keybinds. This will result in around 50 to 60,000 fishing experience per hour at level 70 fishing.
When fishing with bait, feathers, offcuts and caviar/roe in the inventory, bait will be used first, then the feathers, then the offcuts, and then the caviar/roe. If a player is banking the caviar/roe for barbarian potions, it is a good idea to take plenty of bait/feathers to start with and bank the fish offcuts with the caviar/roe. This way, the offcuts can be saved for later barbarian fishing trips so that the amount of bait and feathers used can be minimized. Initial bait may not be needed on populous worlds as there are often players at the fishing hole who drop caught fish, which can easily be picked up and gutted. However, picking up and gutting fish for bait will result in slower experience per hour.
Now that fishing urns stack, there is no reason to not take the largest stack one feels necessary to reach the desired Fishing level. Make sure automatic urn teleportation is checked in the Inventory section under Gameplay Settings. To calculate how many urns one needs, divide the experience remaining to the goal by 11,400.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Added a toggle in the settings menu to turn strength xp on or off for barbarian bare-hand fishing.
- patch 27 April 2015 (Update):
- Players who have reset their aquarium with a plug can now visit the prawnbroker to activate an animation override for bare-handed fishing. Resetting once will unlock silver-coloured fish and resetting twice will give gold-coloured fish when catching them bare-handed. This affects tuna, swordfish, shark and great white shark. Baron sharks are not affected.
- Bare-handed catching the above fish will now use an updated model (introduced with the aquarium), with the default colours when they are caught.
- ninja 1 July 2014 (Update):
- 'Drop' is now the default option on fish caught while barbarian fishing.
- patch 28 September 2011 (Update):
- Trying to fish from a barbarian fishing spot now refers to the rod as a barbarian rod, instead of heavy fishing rod.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Barbarian Fishing is similar to noodling.